Author Topic: Vote for return of Tom Hudson as 3ds Max developer  (Read 8088 times)

2013-08-09, 16:05:39

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
For all of you who at least little bit like 3ds Max, please help to get 3ds Max back into active development by voting for Tom Hudson. Development of 3ds Max in past years has been quite disappointing, and if you want to finally see those historic persistent bugs fixed and some truly innovative feautes added, then the very least you can do is to give your vote.

If you do not have an Autodesk account, it just takes you a minute to create one.

If you do, then please vote to help both yourselves and other users, as well as the future of 3ds Max.

If you do have an AD account, but do not have any votes left, then consider removing votes from some of the other ideas that have less chance of success.

Thank you very much in advance.

You can vote here: http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-general-feature-requests/suggestions/4249552-tom-hudson-for-3dsmax-development-leadership

For more information about this, please take a look here: http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/19385_autodesk_siggraph_event_news___including_future_of_naiad.html
« Last Edit: 2013-08-09, 16:07:16 by Rawalanche »

2013-08-09, 18:51:41
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
this is very dangerous, because if this really succeeds, I will be interested in joining that team :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-08-09, 19:41:13
Reply #2

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
no, no, no, you are doing something extremely necessary here, don't go to AD, they will break all your works !!! ;)

2013-08-09, 20:30:17
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
read the article - not autodesk, but tom hudson team :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-08-09, 20:31:33
Reply #4

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Even if it would work (I voted but I don't believe it will happen) I really doubt that he would be able to do something about the whole situation. You all know how autodesk runs the business - even the king of the jungle tends to purr like a little cat if he has burning torch in his neck.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-08-09, 21:17:43
Reply #5

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, well... For a the likes of Adobe and ADSK... It's always priority in optimizations and in managing things with a predictable results and stability(in business, not in software).

You can hardly compensate for income losses due to "too risky, too big changes made to a software which also take too long to do"!

But for weak/cheap software tweaks and patches and addons for a user who is already a long time user mostly in a situation where it is unconfortable, not affordable/cost effective and not wanting to make a switch to a different app(with high chance being adsk again) You can compensate that with some smart marketing making "not so useful" things to look deadly important very hard to do.

Now if we take a look on it as "bit larger" studio environment. Basicaly the larger you are(the company) the more is a chance that when your vendor "kills" one application you used, in favor to another they develop, the more likely will you just adapt and make your staff do the switch soon cause again you'll need to take a look at the business perspective which will have greater priority than your sentiment over a "dead app"

Now that's just my very simplified point of view on the topic..

And I'm not saying that it is bad or that adsk is bad for doing things the way they do, it is "from a certain point of view" making sense... But again.. what do i know :)

2013-08-09, 21:35:49
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Even if it would work (I voted but I don't believe it will happen) I really doubt that he would be able to do something about the whole situation. You all know how autodesk runs the business - even the king of the jungle tends to purr like a little cat if he has burning torch in his neck.

The idea is he would not be controlled by Autodesk. That he would have a free hand in any decision as long as Autodesk gets their income. And happy users always equal income. Just take a look at how quickly the foundry grows thanks to their attitude regarding Nuke development.

2013-10-18, 10:23:40
Reply #7

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks

2013-10-18, 10:51:10
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I feel a disturbance in the force... maybe?

http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/19952_tom_hudson_contracting_with_autodesk.html

Yeah, i got a mail today from 3ds Max feedback tracker, that the case has been completed and my vote points are returned, so i took a look at the case, and it says:

"We are very happy to announce that Tom is now contracting with Autodesk and working on a project with the 3ds Max development team!"

Yay! :)

2013-10-18, 11:32:29
Reply #9

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, I got the email too. But it's still not clear what the "project" really is :S