Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Fake metals in physical material

(1/3) > >>

davetwo:
I've been using the Physical material more and more. But in my work (product design, packaging, and also automtive) there are a lot of non-metal metals.
Ie. metal effect plastics, silver spraypaints, foil block print etc. etc.

What is the intended workflow with these in the new metalness workflow? I find increasing the IOR value in non-metal insufficient (too dark). And the physical metal too bright.

Any thoughts?

burnin:
If not yet, click on Corona's "Convert scene" button. Does just fine with most "high-IOR-Legacy-metals".

davetwo:
Sorry, I think I wasnt clear - I'm refering to creating metal-look materials which are not real metals - for example plastic with a silver spraypaint finish.

There is no slider or float value for the metalness setting - it's either on or off. So I'm wondering what the 'correct' workflow for this in Physical. (Using the Legacy Material you could just use 6-20 in the IOR value and that worked fine - but it's not an option in the new Physical Material.)

John_Do:
There is no correct workflow per se, it's all fake.

Regarding the metalness channel in the Physical, you can use a Color shader in the texture slot, then you'll be able to tweak the metallic strength.

burnin:
Absurd, but true. We are all "fakes". It just depends on where one finds own meaning and truth.

"Un-real metal" has layer consisting of metal or metallic particles, flakes (feature request!)...
Regarding physical laws, knowing periodic table of chemical elements is fundamental for reproducing visual properties of those to ones best artistic abilities. Rightly we're reminded for making "fakes", since Corona is not "predictive rendering engine". Still, it offer tools with which anyone, using certain techniques (use complex IOR for metals), can achieve visually pleasing and believable results (almost indistinguishable from photographs).

If it's "correct", depends on "your warlord" :p

Enjoy :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version