Author Topic: Yet another critical problem with bump mapping  (Read 9553 times)

2022-12-12, 20:29:20
Reply #30

Matthew86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Howdy! We are looking into options on how to improve this behavior and from my understanding it is mostly related to filtering. Quite a complicated topic.

For more consistent results (albeit with potentially longer render times) you should place your bump maps into Corona Bitmaps and set the interpolation method to "Bicubic (smoother)". Alternatively, if you prefer using C4D's bitmap shader you can also try tweaking its Blur Scale (by lowering it) or changing to a different sampling method. Do note that zero filtering typically isn't the smartest thing to do though.

Hi! I've tried using corona bitmaps but it doesn't seem to give any benefit as you can see from the images attached. Am I doing something wrong?

2022-12-15, 11:25:29
Reply #31

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Howdy! We are looking into options on how to improve this behavior and from my understanding it is mostly related to filtering. Quite a complicated topic.

For more consistent results (albeit with potentially longer render times) you should place your bump maps into Corona Bitmaps and set the interpolation method to "Bicubic (smoother)". Alternatively, if you prefer using C4D's bitmap shader you can also try tweaking its Blur Scale (by lowering it) or changing to a different sampling method. Do note that zero filtering typically isn't the smartest thing to do though.

Hi! I've tried using corona bitmaps but it doesn't seem to give any benefit as you can see from the images attached. Am I doing something wrong?

Howdy!

Let me first start by saying that yes, we are aware this isn't ideal and we are looking into how the bump gets through. It is a _very_ complex topic with no clear cut solutions at the moment as there are a lot of potential drawbacks to most of the solutions.

In the meantime you can try lowering the filtering on the shader itself by going under the "Basic" menu (in your Corona Bitmap or your C4D bitmap shader) and in there try lowering the Blur scale to something closer to -99%.

This wouldn't be the absolute ideal solution as it can cause longer render times in additional to potential visual artifacting but it should help alleviate your issue quite considerably. Worth looking into at least.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us