General Category > Porting and API

Why is Corona Blender exporter developed by community, not by us

<< < (3/7) > >>

reny:
I think the GPL has one thing servers it's purpose, that it forces heavy integrated parts must be open source.
In doing so it also make sure who ever puts in efforts first can also benefit(expand knowledge) from the updated version with new stuff building into it constantly.
For doing commercial stuff on top of it, sure, many are willing to bite the bullet to export first and then render.
Or, if say corona's python binding or API is flexible enough, people will "donate" 3rd party experimental stuff.
Which means, user either have to compile themselves, or with some python tweaking. It will not come with blender and merge into the trunk.

I think for Corona, even if the goal is not to support blender, a solid python binding will help you propagate to many authoring softwares in a long run.
I don't think many could run their business like Blender Foundation, where it makes people want to support Blender on the side to have a giant PITA.
For near future, if Blender would ever become the "go-to" 3d authoring platform, it would need to re-structure and make a clean cut in both library and architecture.
So that there will be a LGPL side of blender that let you do the integration without worrying about other side that do need GPL libraries.
How? I don't know, they must figure it out, or people would have stuck with doing things in grey area, or do blender in whole or none.

cecofuli:
And, why is Octane Render for Blender (commercial product) released today if Blender is covered by GPL licence? ?? O_O

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2o2zOducc

Ondra:
as I've said:

--- Quote from: Keymaster on 2013-05-31, 23:41:00 ---It is possible to make commercial plugin for GPL software, I am not saying it is not, its just the speed and quality will be worse and implementation will be much more complicated

--- End quote ---

Vulture:
You made me sad. Today I find out about Corona Rendere. I found it interesting and it seems to be good alternative for Vray. That sad I won't be able to use it with blender. It is possible to make at least unofficial exporter by me?

Even though I can use 3Ds max I just don't want. I don't know why, but Blender is more userfrendly than Max (i'm using Max in work and sometimes it pissing me off. :) Blender isn't perfect, but it's a Great and Powerful (as Trixie) software.) I don't use Blender for commerical projects - Blender isn't ready for this yet, but its a nice soft for a hobbyists.

I can't stand that the greatest virtue of Blender is it's the biggest flaw.
Good luck and Gz. Corona render is just fabulous. Keep up the good work  :D

Ludvik Koutny:

--- Quote from: Vulture on 2013-09-11, 19:20:49 ---You made me sad. Today I find out about Corona Rendere. I found it interesting and it seems to be good alternative for Vray. That sad I won't be able to use it with blender. It is possible to make at least unofficial exporter by me?

Even though I can use 3Ds max I just don't want. I don't know why, but Blender is more userfrendly than Max (i'm using Max in work and sometimes it pissing me off. :) Blender isn't perfect, but it's a Great and Powerful (as Trixie) software.) I don't use Blender for commerical projects - Blender isn't ready for this yet, but its a nice soft for a hobbyists.

I can't stand that the greatest virtue of Blender is it's the biggest flaw.
Good luck and Gz. Corona render is just fabulous. Keep up the good work  :D

--- End quote ---

There is Corona standalone available as well as API. Standalone version should be significantly improved in upcoming public build. By the way you are already 3rd person with intention of doing some exporter, one simple exporter is already done by Joel Daniels. Maybe all of you guys could join together to create some versatile exporter for blender. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version