Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Bug Reporting

Physical Material Error - & corona converter

(1/6) > >>

hassanjaber:
Hello most of the time when im converting materials from vray, metal is ticked on, and it's not accurate like it used to be.

+ is there any way we can convert to legacy material instead of physical material, legacy is much more efficient and easy to use when converting to physical I'm losing many of the material properties? any solution

TomG:
Examples of the materials that you feel don't convert correctly would be very helpful - preferably in a scene file but screengrabs of the material UI would do in a pinch, with renders showing the Legacy and Physical results. Thanks!

miskokral:

--- Quote from: hassanjaber on 2021-08-31, 18:09:51 ---Hello most of the time when im converting materials from vray, metal is ticked on, and it's not accurate like it used to be.

+ is there any way we can convert to legacy material instead of physical material, legacy is much more efficient and easy to use when converting to physical I'm losing many of the material properties? any solution

--- End quote ---

I am experiencing the same problem with Corona 7 and the new Physical Material. I guess that New Corona 7 works that if a material has more than 3.0 IOR in that case it converts that material to metal.
But there is a huge problem here because there is an enormous library of 3d assets that have been done either in previous corona versions or vray with weird numbers and the end result when converting the materials with Corona 7 will create such a big mess. Leaves and grass and fabrics will be turned into metals with weird reflections and imagine all of this when you are working on a huge project with hundreds of materials.
I am asking have you thought of this problem? Do you have any sustainable solution for this issue with the new converter?

Avi:
Hi,

It would not be possible to convert materials to legacy mtl and there will also be no such feature in the future also.

But if you have a material that has IOR with a value of 3 or more, they will be automatically converted to metals. In case, you want to change metals to non-metals then you can use this simple script to batch change material type from metal to non-metals.

PS: You should not run this script in your whole 3ds Max project otherwise the materials which should be metal will also be converted into non-metals. To use this script, simply select the offending materials which are supposed to be non-metals in a separate file then run this script and after that, you can merge those 3D objects with correct material properties with your original scene.

I understand many people might have problem with this approach but this is the best workaround currently to fix your wrong metal materials. We are continuously working on improving the converter with upcoming releases.

Regards,
Avi

Deckard:
I have the same issue with the current material converter, which mis-understands the metalness on some materials.
The script provides a workaround, but I think there should be an option at the converter to override metalness on demand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version