Author Topic: Corona Image Editor CPU Usage  (Read 9108 times)

2017-12-08, 17:15:56

ThomasCoote

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Using the Corona Image Editor on 1.7 seems significantly slower than previous builds. When altering Lightmix intensity, exposure, light colour, anything really, the CPU usage spikes to 100% and it takes around 1 second per change to process.

Has anyone else noticed a slowdown on the latest version, and more importantly, found a workaround?

Thanks

2017-12-13, 11:27:45
Reply #1

ThomasCoote

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has nobody else experienced this?

2017-12-13, 11:39:47
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Haven't noticed it here. What is your CPU model?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-12-13, 12:58:56
Reply #3

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
Hi, are you talking about same CXR and using same settings in 1.6 vs 1.7? If not, could you please test this scenario?
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2017-12-13, 18:32:58
Reply #4

ThomasCoote

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haven't noticed it here. What is your CPU model?

CPU Model is E5-1650 V4

I've saved out some less complex scenes today and tested the Image Editor, and it's lightning fast. It seems to be with just this one scene (Although I have yet to test another complex scene with 1.7 Image Editor). The only thing that has changed with this scene between 1.6 and 1.7 is a lighting model imported from Sketchup and the corresponding LightSelect pass. I also allowed the render to run for several hundred passes overnight, although I'm not sure if this would contribute to a slowdown.

I have just resumed the render from the CXR in Max, and there is no slowdown when using lightmix or adjusting and post processing options - an action that gives a 3 second hang in the Image Editor is instantaneous in the VFB.

I don't have the 1.6 Image Editor to test this with, can I get a download link?

I can also provide you with the .CXR and possibly the Max file if needed.

2017-12-13, 18:33:44
Reply #5

ThomasCoote

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I should also add I have tested this on other machines in the office and have replicated the problem on each.

2017-12-13, 18:46:06
Reply #6

mike288

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal 'Mike' Wirth
    • View Profile
OK, great, could you please upload both files (CXR+Max) via our uploader (https://corona-renderer.com/upload), so I can test it? Maybe I will be able to discover something. Thank you.
Chaos Scatter developer | In case of crash, please send minidump | Private uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2018-06-26, 11:09:41
Reply #7

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Was there any resolution on this?  We seem to have the same issue as well.  I'm also trying out Corona 2.0, hoping there was a fix, but it seems that the problem is still persistent.

2018-06-28, 15:19:02
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Was there any resolution on this?  We seem to have the same issue as well.  I'm also trying out Corona 2.0, hoping there was a fix, but it seems that the problem is still persistent.
So when you adjust any setting in CIE, the CPU usage jumps to 100% and you are experiencing freezes? Can you send us any CXR file where you are getting this? https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2018-07-11, 12:01:34
Reply #9

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry the late reply Maru.  I've just uploaded the CXR via the alternate Dropbox link, since it's pretty large!  Please note that the image is confidential.

The CPU usage jumps to about 40% for me when I change a lightmix setting but doesn't change much when I tweak the tonemapping settings.  However, it's very slow whenever I change any setting in CIE regardless of the CPU usage. 

2018-07-11, 14:49:22
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
When I test here, all Post settings perform fast until anything is changed in the LightMix tab, after which things are laggy in the Post tab. The UI for LightMix is slow to update as well (e.g. if I uncheck a layer, the on / off checkboxes disappear for 5 to 8 seconds, before the UI redraws).  That is a LOT of LightSelect layers btw :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-07-11, 17:21:09
Reply #11

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haha yes it is.  I already reduced the amount of LightSelect layers ;-)

When I change Post settings, it's slightly faster than changing Lightmix settings but definitely nowhere near as fast as the VFB during rendertime.

2018-07-11, 20:14:05
Reply #12

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For me, so long as I haven't done anything in LightMix, the Post works fast and normal. As soon as I adjust anything in LightMix (which is very slow at redrawing the UI), then the Post gets slower - not as slow as LightMix changes, but definitely slower than the VFB and slower than it was before I edited any LightMix settings.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-07-12, 15:08:45
Reply #13

stevenchman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you think this is due to some bug in CIE?  We have tried on smaller CXR files (like 1k renders) and it's definitely faster, but still nowhere near as fast as the VFB.

2018-09-06, 10:28:22
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I opened that CXR in CIE and here are my observations:
-changing post options like exposure is super slow when sharpen/blur is enabled - after disabling it, it becomes manageable
-changing lightmix parameters is slow (few seconds freezes when touching the spinners)
-here is how my CPU usage looks when adjusting the lightmix settings (about ~40% usage)
-I do not know how exactly it would work in 3ds max, as when I load it into the vfb, it's loaded without the lightmix layers (would need the scene)