Author Topic: Vacation House  (Read 10040 times)

2015-11-11, 04:15:12

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
This is my 3d rendition of a small vacation house designed by Hristina Hristova and photograph by Deyan Tomov .

I used only 3dsmax and Corona A6 to make this piece with no post processing. This is the raw render straight out of 3dsmax and I painted all the textures by hand in 3dsmax. No photo textures were used. No photoshop was used either except for resizing the image.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-15, 13:50:44 by melviso »

2015-11-11, 12:46:06
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this scene has great potential! The lighting has a realistic, warm feeling. And the painted textures are simply impressive. If you put a little more work into it and rendered a few more shots, I have a strong feeling you could be featured on Corona's Facebook page. :)

My advice:
-ground texture - it lacks some detail and "dirtiness"
-some bump maps are too strong (for example on the planks near the door)
-some bump maps are too weak (for example tree bark)
-shadows are a bit too dark
-grass and stones could be more detailed
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-11-11, 19:28:54
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I echo what Maru said. The image has lot of potential and already looks promising, just needs to push it bit further.

Outside of what Maru suggested, I will suggest much higher resolution and no sharpening. That will make it far more 'smooth' to eyes and appear more photographic. And slightly lift the shadows.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-11-13, 19:25:27
Reply #3

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
@maru. That would be awesome,maru. Thanks for the advice. Working on it and would post some new shots as soon as I am done.

@ Juraj  Thanks for the pointers.

2015-11-19, 05:20:02
Reply #4

romanbuha

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, I do like earth!

2015-12-15, 13:26:16
Reply #5

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Hi all, I have been extremely very busy. Finally had some free time to finish this up and crank out the renders. All textures are handpainted in 3dsmax. No photo textures. No HDR image. Renders are raw, straight out of 3dsmax. No post processing. I used Corona A6.

Thanks Romanbuha.

2015-12-15, 13:39:26
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Looks great! Congratulations on improving it! Can you show the previous version just for comparison?
Somehow you managed to get very "sharp" lighting, which at the same time looks realistic.

2015-12-15, 13:56:06
Reply #7

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Thanks maru. First post fixed.

I learnt a lot about lighting working on this project. Had to read up about lighting as well. I experimented with using Corona Sun and sky with a couple of lights to achieve the effect.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-16, 19:26:02 by melviso »

2015-12-17, 08:29:21
Reply #8

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Really cool looking scene :) good job! Love the lightning a lot :)

I don't really dig those wall planks though, they look a bit out of place - like they were drawn on a flat surface. If you would go as far as modeling those, I think that it would easily be really close to reality.
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-12-17, 09:15:05
Reply #9

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
The light is super cool!... The rest as well... Great Image! Keep going!

2015-12-17, 16:08:13
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I don't really dig those wall planks though, they look a bit out of place - like they were drawn on a flat surface. If you would go as far as modeling those, I think that it would easily be really close to reality.

I also love the light and general look, esp. when looked at from thumbnail distance.

But there is odd artifact that distracts from overall quality and it took me a moment to find. Tomislavn has described it, it's the planks. The reasoning is as follow:

If you had them modelled in 3D (or with displacement), they would trap heavy, black shadows like the rest of your image because of strong direct light and boosted contrast. But because they are flat, they only contain diffuse-like shadows which clash with the rest of the scene.
And lastly, the scene needs much more passes to clean out the noise. It would definitely push this higher :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-12-20, 18:57:32
Reply #11

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
@ Mr.Schorsch  Thanks. :)

@ tomislavn; Juraj_Talcik
I think you guys are right. Modelled the planks, painted in some subtle textures and re-rendered. Same no post processing, no HDRI, no photo textures e.t.c.
Thanks for the critic. :)

2015-12-21, 10:55:08
Reply #12

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
That's already much better! :))

Now it's time to get Corona 1.3 subscription and use subtle round corners texture on the house and it will be top notch! ;D
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-12-21, 19:10:06
Reply #13

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Thanks. :)

Haha..I really like Corona. At the moment, the free version A6 is a great renderer on its own and I really like using it. Though at some point, I will upgrade. :)

EDIT: Just noticed my work featured on corona facebook page. Thanks to everyone here for their help and critic. Also to Maru and the corona devs. To those asking about  handpainted textures using 3dsmax. I used Viewport Canvas. Very powerful tool for painting textures.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-22, 20:30:03 by melviso »

2015-12-23, 16:45:17
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The Facebook post caused quite a stir. Actually, last post with similar interest was the 1.1 release. :)

2015-12-23, 20:16:47
Reply #15

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Really? That's cool, Maru. For me, I like experimenting with how much as I can do with one software to challenge myself . The more I can achieve what I can do with it, the more efficient my workflow becomes. 3dsmax and Corona seems to work just fine.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-23, 23:26:21 by melviso »