Author Topic: Black and Gold  (Read 21503 times)

2014-03-31, 14:34:51

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For a while now I have been obsessed with the idea of a classic piece where the more predominant tonalities are mainly composed of black and golden details present throughout the space and I am glad to say that I have finalized such a project.

Higher 3k/4k resolutions available on Behance: www.behance.net/gallery/Black-and-gold/15726723

2014-03-31, 14:36:52
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Kickass work as usually! :) And of course Evermotion frontpage as usually :)

2014-03-31, 14:49:03
Reply #2

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
one word.... miraculous!!!

2014-03-31, 14:53:41
Reply #3

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hehe thanks guys xD And yes Rawalanche they've put it on the frontpage just as I've posted the thread. Hehe quite loved that xD

2014-03-31, 15:50:02
Reply #4

sergar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
unreal cool! can you tell us a little about this work?

2014-03-31, 15:50:35
Reply #5

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
man i love you gold shader, mind giving me a sneak peak how you did it?
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2014-03-31, 15:53:01
Reply #6

dartofang

• Active Users
  • @archviztutorial
    • View Profile
very sexy.... looks so photorealistic man. great render!!!

2014-03-31, 17:52:41
Reply #7

woshilvba

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For a while now I have been obsessed with the idea of a classic piece where the more predominant tonalities are mainly composed of black and golden details present throughout the space and I am glad to say that I have finalized such a project.

Higher 3k/4k resolutions available on Behance: www.behance.net/gallery/Black-and-gold/15726723
Render time?
« Last Edit: 2014-03-31, 22:59:12 by Keymaster »

2014-03-31, 20:27:17
Reply #8

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I think I would cry if a client asked for something like this, ridiculous level of detail!
Vray who?

2014-03-31, 20:56:25
Reply #9

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott

I think I would cry if a client asked for something like this, ridiculous level of detail!

I would be happy, because that would cost the clien a ridiculous level of money ;)

Btw. This renders are awesome, I just dont like only one thing about it the blacks are too deep, you can barely see anything here. I get that that was the point at some level. But I think that this is just a bit too much.

Great super realistic work, very nice materials.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2014-03-31, 21:16:44
Reply #10

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Amazing renders and clean quality, i really enjoyed it !

2014-03-31, 23:17:23
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not my cup of style but excellently executed !

What I like most, is that you kept proper contrast and realistic highlights, because of that the image doesn't fall flat and looks very convincing and realistic.
New Corona benchmark ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-31, 23:23:08
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

Yeah, you should do some sort of rendering battle one day, it would look like this:

:D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-31, 23:23:58
Reply #13

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Faptastic renders. I love that wood texture.
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2014-03-31, 23:27:42
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Yeah, you should do some sort of rendering battle one day, it would look like this:

:D

LOL. Well, still took me a sec to get it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-31, 23:31:57
Reply #15

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I should have written that your interiors should do a battle ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-31, 23:40:34
Reply #16

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ahahah loved that analogy Ondra, really made me giggle :D I guess I'm the Dark Lord ahah. To shed a bit of light onto the render times I usually just leave them overnight so they averaged around 8/9 hours on my 2x Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.66 Ghz, 12 physical cores. I also used displacement on the rug and the fireplace grid and I must say I am happy with the way the displacement behaved and the resources that it required, considering also the amount of geometry that was in the scene.
As far as the blacks go yes I did try to keep a level of detail present in the final image but I really wanted some contrast so I might have went a bit borderline dark there, in fact I had double checked my monitor's gamma just to ensure a slight level of detail in the darks, if it's still too dark on your monitors I would say check your gamma and if anything let me know of the results.

2014-03-31, 23:57:07
Reply #17

CML

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing work, the color scheme looks just PERFECT.
Congrats!

2014-04-01, 00:04:24
Reply #18

tungee

• Active Users
    • View Profile
KickAssGreat!
New Coronoid

2014-04-01, 00:33:58
Reply #19

Dervish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
awesome work.

What I like the most : Black velvet and the floor.

Great ornaments too, pain in the butt to model or sculpt.

Well done.

2014-04-01, 03:07:28
Reply #21

leocv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My behance portfolio
Amazing work!
The floor is my favorite, I really liked it.
Congrats!

Best,
Leo.
KISS Principle
Keep it simple, stupid!

www.behance.net/leonardovieira

2014-04-01, 06:50:08
Reply #22

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Eyecandy! The contrast is really well balanced, the only thing that distracts my eye a bit is the large pattern in the chairs.

2014-04-01, 08:54:31
Reply #23

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Hi Eduard,
These renderings are absolutely great, I love them! And what doesnt happen too often I love the design soso much, it is really eyecandy! The color mapping is kick-ass and absolutely beautiful in terms of light cover and materials - I love your style.
Would you mind sharing a bit of info? - render settings (gamma, highlights compression),  RGB range of materials (preview/lightness), lighting setup and post production workflow.
Hopefully I am not too demanding, I am adding this to the inspiration folder, great work!

2014-04-01, 11:04:10
Reply #24

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah, Jakub has a point... i also have an "inspiration folder" and i'm sure many of us do: where we keep works and images and screen shots of great artists and their work flow or making of video tutorial,materials,downloads,scenes ...n all sorts from the artist e.g jeff patton, rammy hanna, juraj, bbbviz and the likes. you deserve a spot in anyone's inspiration folder with this banger! if you can put out enough information we can keep, learn from and cherish.  congrats again:D

2014-04-01, 15:10:06
Reply #25

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I am very glad that you all enjoy the images.

JakubCech Hi there, I really enjoy your visuals as well, especially that Piaulin´s Interior project that you have on Behance. You've got such a great light in that one. To answer you Gamma was left at 2.2 at its default value and since I used the dump file that stores all the passes in just 1 exr file at double the resolution (Internal res: 2) I had to manually increase the highlight compression in Photoshop using that 32bit exr. I prefer this method over the usual saving out from the frame buffer since I get that double resolution which I quite enjoy. I have done a couple of tests just to compare the sharpness of that double resolution and I must say that overall it looks very nice and the edges are still quite sharp. There is only problem with the exr file, unfortunately it can't be imported in Photoshop so I had to Render-View Image File in 3ds Max and save out the passes that I needed from there, quite a slow process but it worked ok. Keymaster said that this will be fixed in the future and the exr with all the passes will open in Photoshop just fine.
As far as the lighthing goes I have only used an HDRI from Peter Guthrie and corona portal planes at the opening of the windows and that was it. Obviously I experimented with it a bit but mainly it was nothing more than that. I usually try to keep the exposure in the render settings to 0 and just increase the intensity of the HDRI and scene lights if I need to, I found that this is a better way to organize your lights rather than doing the opposite thing which is keeping your hdri to 1 and increase the exposure in the render settings.
The postproduction consisted of mainly using an adjustment layer on soft light and another one on screen. I prefer this to the curves adjustment because it keeps my darks in check and they never get over the limit. I also use the curves adjustment from time to time but haven't for this project. A part from that I have used a Colour Balance adjustment just to get some more red and yellow in the overall image, but that was only ever so slightly. What I also do is get a bit of glow in the brightest spots, such as on the highlighted golden bits and bright reflections, desaturate-levels-blur and put to screen mode.
nehaleThe golden material was quite simple, I had used some maps in the reflection and bump slots for the scratches but mainly this is the way I have created it. I will post a more in-depth explanation tonight after work.
http://imageshack.com/a/img841/6475/gaq8.jpg
« Last Edit: 2014-04-01, 22:40:07 by eduard.caliman »

2014-04-01, 20:32:59
Reply #26

rickeloy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wicked stuff, man! Had to follow your Behance profile...

2014-04-02, 13:05:18
Reply #27

Edvinas

• Active Users
  • CGI artist with architectural background
    • View Profile
    • Bloorise
Inspiring. Very well done!
Nice wood and fabrics.
Bit too dark for my taste, but that's probably what you wanted :)
® Bloorise
Behance: https://behance.com/bloorise

2014-04-02, 18:05:01
Reply #28

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is only problem with the exr file, unfortunately it can't be imported in Photoshop so I had to Render-View Image File in 3ds Max and save out the passes that I needed from there, quite a slow process but it worked ok.
http://imageshack.com/a/img841/6475/gaq8.jpg

I probably misunderstand that part ? Why cannot exr be imported in photoshop ?

Otherwise very very good job !

2014-04-03, 10:49:37
Reply #29

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I probably misunderstand that part ? Why cannot exr be imported in photoshop ?

Otherwise very very good job !

Hi Utroll, I wasn't that thorough explaining that. What I meant is that the dump files that you generate either by autosaving or by dumping the VFB, which contain all the passes at double the resolution in just 1 exr, if you have PROexr installed in Photoshop they will not open and if you don't have PROexr installed Photoshop will open only the beauty pass and will not see all the other passes. Since I also needed all the passes what I had to do is I had to go in 3ds Max (2014) in the Rendering menu - View Image File - select the exr - open it - choose the right pass and then save that out as a 32 bit exr, and did that with all the needed passes, basically just had to save them out individually. Slow process but it didn't really matter that much to me. : )

2014-04-03, 12:49:28
Reply #30

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-04-04, 16:13:50
Reply #31

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Utroll, I wasn't that thorough explaining that. What I meant is that the dump files that you generate either by autosaving or by dumping the VFB, which contain all the passes at double the resolution in just 1 exr,[...]

Ah ok, I didn't knew that the internal double resolution kills the multilayer ability of the exr.
Thanks for your explanations, it will probably save me from some time wasted as I'm always using exr.