Author Topic: Odd issue when caching  (Read 1602 times)

2021-09-30, 20:18:04

Otuama

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all

Yesterday we updated to V7. 

I've just started caching for an animation and am getting this when remotely rendering (using a render manager).

This is another system trying to render it

It's as if it's bucket rendering or something.... but it isn't

I don't trust it so I'm rendering the cache locally on my system and it's rendering fine.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

It's also happening when rendering final frames - Once it passes the cache stage it renders fine.

Here are 2 recordings

This one shows what's happening when rendering final frames using our render manager

Here's when I render a cache locally..... it looks as I'd expect

-------------------------------------

If someone can tell me what's going on that'd be great. 

Is it anything to be concerned about?  Is this a new thing with v7?

I don't want us to use v7 too much if this is an issue and will have to go back to v6.

Which is another question... is that possible?

If a scene has been worked on today and new materials or presets have been used.... or the sun has been changed to the new version, will that cause issues going back to v6?

Any help with this ASAP would be great.

Thanks,

Sean

2021-09-30, 20:54:25
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, it's buckets and no, you don't have to be worry - that's completely normal. From Corona 7 release notes:

Calculating a pass in 32 x 32 pixel blocks
This one gives you an overall 5% speedup on average, up to 15% in some scenes. We’ve also implemented it in a way that won’t disrupt your viewing of the scene – the blocks are not used at all when using IR for example, and in regular final rendering they only take effect after the 5th pass.

When the blocks are being used, Corona will still complete an entire pass over the whole image as before, so you won’t be waiting for one “block” to render to final quality before moving on to the next (so, this is not like bucket rendering) – it’s simply that we process each pass in 32×32 pixel blocks.

The only time you will be likely to notice them is when using DR, backburner, or rendering via the command line, where they are used immediately rather than after 5 passes like regular final rendering. For the curious, we’ve isolated an example below so you can see what we mean:

You can read more about what's new in Corona 7 here: https://blog.corona-renderer.com/corona-renderer-7-for-3ds-max-released/
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-09-30, 21:13:59
Reply #2

Otuama

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Many thanks!

That's set my mind at ease. 

The only time you will be likely to notice them is when using DR, backburner, or rendering via the command line, where they are used immediately rather than after 5 passes like regular final rendering. For the curious, we’ve isolated an example below so you can see what we mean:

I assume this is why I'm seeing it when using our render manager (RenderPal) & not locally.

Thanks again.

2021-09-30, 21:31:02
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures