Author Topic: 3970x experiences. Heat, speed, ram etc..?  (Read 5931 times)

2020-01-21, 09:23:24

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
I'm considering to build a new computer with 3970x. I had 1.gen threadripper 1950x which caused so many problems that I sold it and went back to Intel. But, it seems AMD has sorted most of those quirks with gen.3 (singe core speed, ram support, overheat, etc..). So I would love hear from some of the people here that has bought 3970x or 3960x and how it performs and if you had any problems setting it up.

1. If anyone has installed 128gb of ram (8x 16gb sticks or more) how does it work, has it been easy to install? I wan't even able to install 128gb of ram in 1950x. It's nearly impossible to find any info on this on the web, its all over the place. I would love to be able to just buy a regular low profile ram kit like 3200mhs Hyper Fury X. But even the Asus motherboard Ram vendor list is scarse when it comes to 128gb.

2. Heat. AMD recommend Watercooling. Though my experience with AIO watercooling has been tragic. I owned a Enermax 360 with the 1950x and it was horribly noisy and got overheated with longer rendertimes. Noctua worked better. So without custom loop, is fan ok? Any experiences here?

ANy other experiences, was it worth the upgrade etc.. I'd love to hear :)

2020-01-21, 11:36:22
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Look at the main thread but:

1) No issue with memory on 3rd gen. But don't buy higher than 3200 if you want 128-256GB configurations.

2) No issue with air cooling technically but it will run hot but that's ok. Only alternative is custom loop though, because the only available AIO is the faulty Enermax. Better run hot than dead :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-21, 11:41:26
Reply #2

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Thanks! Glad to hear that.
2) yeah not buying enermax ever again. I see AMD changed its max temp for threadripper to 85 degrees from the 68 it was before. WHich is good news, it can run hot. And from what I see 3970x runs about 85 degrees max. with noctua...

Yeah custom loop is too much for me, I'm not going to to dive into that :D

2020-01-21, 11:43:51
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah those 80s are toasty, but will be manageable as long as your room is around 25C and not 30 :- ). But keep good case airflow, esp. if you run one or two GPUs that output heat inside.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-01-21, 11:47:06
Reply #4

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Yeah I live in norway so room temps are cold (avg. 21 degrees) except in the hottest summer days :D
Yeah I'll buy all noctuas and an extra fan on the CPU Noctua heatsink for push-pull. maybe I can get it slightly lower than 85 as well.

2020-01-21, 11:57:06
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well Slovakia is also sub-zero in Winter yet my room used to attack 28 :- D Comfort..and those sauna-producing PCs under table.

But now I have husky dog so I took my apartment to 21 as well. Voila, my husky still loves to sleep next to render farm anyway. "Arctic" dog..

The second fan can help but not by much, good case air-flow (3 fans in) will do more. But with your room temp there will be no issue.

2021-04-30, 14:00:28
Reply #6

marius iordache

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net
Hello, sorry for crashing into an older post but seems to adress my problem.
I built a pc with 3970x,aorus trx40 master, Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3,G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16,Fractal Design Define 7 Compact.
I come from a dual xeon platform wich was quiet and cool, about 68C under load, what scares me is current 3970x temps seem a bit sketchy, under load TcTl\Tdie ranges 81-83-85 but maximum 93-95-98 i never see it when it goes 95  so i guess these are spikes that last very little to show in the current tab. Should i be concerned? Ambient 21-22 something like that, but what will i do during summer when it's 26-28C with AC on....
Also when denoising starts in corona  it shows these spikes in Core tabs too, same thing they are not visible if i observe them directly.
I plan to add another noctua fan to cpu cooler, but 15mm thick because it does not fit otherwise.
Also front intake fans are 14cm noctua, 1 exhaust bequiet 1 top back exhaust noctua 14cm, in case you might suspect airflow.

Thank you in advance

2021-04-30, 15:01:14
Reply #7

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@marius iordache
Here is how I got the temps in a range I personally am much more comfortable with :) Hope it helps.

At 3,7ghz my average rays drop from 12,800 to 11,600.
Thats around 10% difference. For much lower temperature and power consumption seems very reasonable. But somehow I cannot stand this 10% slower speed. Not effectively but OCD related.

OK so I've found a simple setting to cure most of the temperature "problems". Not really problems but you know what I mean :)

So I have PBO set to AUTO which should mean its OFF from what I understand but that clearly isn't the case. If I go under the PBO settings and set the temperature limit (its called something different, can't miss it though) to a custom of say 70 degrees... Well, the CPU won't go over 70c.

It is that simple.

So now I'm getting ~3.9ghz on all cores and I retain a solid 4.3ghz/4.4ghz single core turbo - at least thats what I can monitor from Windows. The rendering speed according to the benchmark is the same as it was with PBO off, maybe sometimes falling behind by 1 second (29s -> 30s).

The temps rarely if ever go above 70c. They go above because my fan curves need a second or two to kick in high speeds :) Rendering over night is constantly at 70c.

Hope that helps :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-04-30, 17:33:25
Reply #8

marius iordache

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net
@marius iordache
Here is how I got the temps in a range I personally am much more comfortable with :) Hope it helps.

Thats around 10% difference. For much lower temperature and power consumption seems very reasonable. But somehow I cannot stand this 10% slower speed. Not effectively but OCD related.

OK so I've found a simple setting to cure most of the temperature "problems". Not really problems but you know what I mean :)

So I have PBO set to AUTO which should mean its OFF from what I understand but that clearly isn't the case. If I go under the PBO settings and set the temperature limit (its called something different, can't miss it though) to a custom of say 70 degrees... Well, the CPU won't go over 70c.

It is that simple.

So now I'm getting ~3.9ghz on all cores and I retain a solid 4.3ghz/4.4ghz single core turbo - at least thats what I can monitor from Windows. The rendering speed according to the benchmark is the same as it was with PBO off, maybe sometimes falling behind by 1 second (29s -> 30s).

The temps rarely if ever go above 70c. They go above because my fan curves need a second or two to kick in high speeds :) Rendering over night is constantly at 70c.

Hello, thank you for the reply, however i do not understand if i have to put Celsius Value into the TDP tab and then what do i put in the rest 2, maybe leave"0" and are set to auto ?. Also there's another option for cTDP in wich i put 80 and nothing happened, when i checked afterwards it was set to 0.
I searched some stuff on youtube but i got more confused.
Thank you in advance

2021-07-20, 10:44:52
Reply #9

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@marius iordache

It is that simple.

Hello, thank you for the reply, however i do not understand if i have to put Celsius Value into the TDP tab and then what do i put in the rest 2, maybe leave"0" and are set to auto ?. Also there's another option for cTDP in wich i put 80 and nothing happened, when i checked afterwards it was set to 0.
Thank you in advance

Totally didn't see your reply, sorry! What you probably want to do is go under Precision Boost Overdrive (set it to manual) and in there you'll see a field where you can input your temperature targets.

I'm necroing this thread just in case anyone else is running into the same issue :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-07-21, 13:09:10
Reply #10

marius iordache

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net
@marius iordache

It is that simple.

Thank you in advance

Totally didn't see your reply, sorry! What you probably want to do is go under Precision Boost Overdrive (set it to manual) and in there you'll see a field where you can input your temperature targets.

I'm necroing this thread just in case anyone else is running into the same issue :)

Thank you, no worries, i somehow managed to limit it to 80 C, now it doesn't spike more than 88-86 because of the fan lag.