Author Topic: PBR tuning of the reflectivity ability  (Read 30087 times)

2014-12-29, 01:05:02
Reply #45

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Well, I am kind of new Corona's user and I usually tweak the materials based on the render I am getting. But if the preview from the Material Editor is accurate that means that after creating a material I only need to tweak the material do look good in the render?

I may be crucified for saying this, but I never relied on the Material's preview to create the material and adjust the maps.

Well, depends ;- )

I tweak the basics in mat editor, but only real render inside environment will tell me more. The editor preview, while plausible (it's the same engine), has just strange lighting setup with large close area light that's really not very representative of any sort of scene. Actually, some materials, I tweak in multiple render environments to check if it behaves accordingly in all of them (direct/non-direct light, interior/exterior).

The new interactive rendering is fantastic for this.

And to quote someone knowleadgeable about this topic, last year in Venice AD, Bertrand Benoit mentioned he only tweaks materials on exact object he intends to use it. So if he is creating rusty black metal for kitchen stove, he will keep rendering that kitchen stove from different angles to see if it behaves like it should.
I do the same pretty much (I am master of pointless viewport rotating and endless unnecessary test renders).

I hope that answers this :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-30, 10:26:58
Reply #46

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Well, depends ;- )

I tweak the basics in mat editor, but only real render inside environment will tell me more. The editor preview, while plausible (it's the same engine), has just strange lighting setup with large close area light that's really not very representative of any sort of scene. Actually, some materials, I tweak in multiple render environments to check if it behaves accordingly in all of them (direct/non-direct light, interior/exterior).

The new interactive rendering is fantastic for this.

And to quote someone knowleadgeable about this topic, last year in Venice AD, Bertrand Benoit mentioned he only tweaks materials on exact object he intends to use it. So if he is creating rusty black metal for kitchen stove, he will keep rendering that kitchen stove from different angles to see if it behaves like it should.
I do the same pretty much (I am master of pointless viewport rotating and endless unnecessary test renders).

I hope that answers this :- )

Thanks for the reply Juraj.

I use the Material preview for the basic things as well. I mean the diffuse, reflection, glossiness and in some situations the bump map. I look forward to have a go with the interactive rendering and skip the use of the material editor preview for the initial setup.

In the beginning I was using the "Material test scene" that Bertrand provided just to find out that the material had a different look on my scene and what Bertrand mentioned it is true. I found out that recently while creating and tweaking a concrete material that looked completely different when applied to the surfaces I wanted. So, I learned the lesson and from now on only tweak the material using the specific geometry.

Thanks for taking the time and reply to my doubt.