Author Topic: Which V-Ray feature should we bring to Corona?  (Read 61236 times)

2017-08-28, 17:19:36
Reply #15

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe this is already possible, in that case ignore this post.
A way to save the GI, or at least the most computationally expensive calculations.
This would be useful for animation rendering, if the scene doesn't have moving objects.
And not only for animation, but even for stills, if one already waited for an hour for a render to finish and he decided the still came out great, but he wants to re-render again with a slightly higher resolution, would be great to just save the calculation to a file, and re-render again from that file. And now the renderer needs to calculate mostly antialiasing and reflections, but not the lighting.

I think Vray has something similar to that.

I know Corona is suppose to only use modern techniques, and baking lighting is old technology, but I think many many years need to pass until a full quality still frame takes between 1 and 10 minutes where the baking point becomes moot.

2017-08-28, 17:30:53
Reply #16

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Maybe this is already possible, in that case ignore this post.
A way to save the GI, or at least the most computationally expensive calculations.
This would be useful for animation rendering, if the scene doesn't have moving objects.
And not only for animation, but even for stills, if one already waited for an hour for a render to finish and he decided the still came out great, but he wants to re-render again with a slightly higher resolution, would be great to just save the calculation to a file, and re-render again from that file. And now the renderer needs to calculate mostly antialiasing and reflections, but not the lighting.

I think Vray has something similar to that.

I know Corona is suppose to only use modern techniques, and baking lighting is old technology, but I think many many years need to pass until a full quality still frame takes between 1 and 10 minutes where the baking point becomes moot.

Corona does this already for UHDcache. To do it for primary GI bounce would require something like Irradiance Map, and that's probably not going to happen.

Regarding DomeLight requests - adding DomeLight would not resolve Corona's inability to store multiple environments for LightMix. That's a completely separate and more complex problem. What introduction of DomeLight would do is just making IBL setup in Corona more confusing and less straightforward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my vote, definitely being able to see refraction in masking and texmap render elements. It's a long overdue already for such an important feature. V-Ray does that well :)

2017-08-28, 17:53:57
Reply #17

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the fur and 2D displacement priority. They would be my top requests. More efficient fur would be even better if it can be tweaked for grass creation which many of us would use it for. 2D displacement is great too for clean and quick results.

After that CAR PAINT SHADER!

2017-08-28, 18:29:32
Reply #18

pixel-flow

• Active Users
    • View Profile
VRscans, VRfur and 2D displacement are definitely planned, but not domelight - we could have made that easily from the beginning, but it was our decision not to do it, to keep the renderer simple and easy to use

Dome light
Anyone who wants simple can do the things as before, but having that option in more complex scenarios would make a life much easier for someone like me

2017-08-28, 18:43:43
Reply #19

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic

2017-08-28, 18:54:03
Reply #20

Serj-3DVision

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3DVision
Regarding DomeLight requests - adding DomeLight would not resolve Corona's inability to store multiple environments for LightMix. That's a completely separate and more complex problem. What introduction of DomeLight would do is just making IBL setup in Corona more confusing and less straightforward.

Then there should be another solution for the cases when need to keep 2 and more different environments in one scene with easy access, control and switching. Not everyone works with the slate material editor to keep separate tab with different environment maps, so this is not the solution.
Sergei Scennikov | Israel | Tel-Aviv
Primary certified instructor
3DVision | Corona Materials Library

2017-08-28, 19:00:57
Reply #21

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
it should be scriptable - some simple UI where you drag&drop few maps and there is one switch controling which one is used. Somebody can try writing it ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-28, 19:01:44
Reply #22

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Domelight and being able to have multiple HDRIs accessed easier would be fantastic for ArchViz, though the Lumiere plugin looks promising.

Agreed on a ToonShader also. I'd also say a bump-to-normal map, as well as some of the frame buffer post processing stuff.

2017-08-28, 19:02:01
Reply #23

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right clicking in VFB to set DOF focus :-)

2017-08-28, 19:30:51
Reply #24

NicoB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hej,

maybe it's not a "Vray-Feature", but today I was thinking about
the used LUT affecting the material editor slots.
It would speed up material creation a bit.

A vray specific wish would be the HSL or more color correction
options in VFB. Even less postwork would be needed.

So far for my ideas.

As for the upcoming changes for corona,
my only wish is that corona stays simple and relatively easy to use.

I'm very exited about whats coming up!

Best regards
Nico

2017-08-28, 20:13:27
Reply #25

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dome Light
Aerial perspective (although the name is confusing - maybe call it fast fog?)

2017-08-28, 20:59:57
Reply #26

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Then there should be another solution for the cases when need to keep 2 and more different environments in one scene with easy access, control and switching. Not everyone works with the slate material editor to keep separate tab with different environment maps, so this is not the solution.

You don't need slate, you can have it in the compact material editor. For example create CoronaMultiMap, call it "Environments", and into each slot, add environment bitmap you want. Then when you need to switch them, just drag a new environment map and instance it into environment slot.

As far as complexity goes, it's about the same number of input actions:

DomeLight:
1, Select current DomeLight
2, Click checkbox to turn it off
3, Select another DomeLight
4, Click checkbox to turn it on

Environement slot:
1, Hit hotkey to open material editor
2, Hit hotkey to open environment window
3, Drag environment map from editor
4, Drop environment map onto environment slot

I am still wondering why do people keep requesting DomeLight. It does not add any new functionality, ease of use or speed. A practical example where DomeLight does something more or does it faster would be much appreciated.

2017-08-28, 21:14:07
Reply #27

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know Vray's latest versions.
So maybe this is not an answer to the question.
But, I would love .....

When I started with Corona it was the answer for easy high-quality rendering for me. Way easier as Vray, faster as Maxwell.
Now Vray a Corona join forces I hope Light baking reflection rendering inside Unity and Unreal will be developed. (like Octane is doing inside Unity, but then the Corona-way.... rock solid)

2017-08-28, 21:24:37
Reply #28

Sintel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wish Corona had an easy, intuitive volume shader like Arnold 5's one but not complicated like V-Ray probabilistic shading, and IR definitely support it
Beside, deep data/OpenEXR 2.0 would be great
« Last Edit: 2017-09-02, 02:45:29 by Sintel »

2017-08-28, 21:40:20
Reply #29

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am still wondering why do people keep requesting DomeLight.

When I get a job I usually set up 10+ cameras and tweak the lighting (including hdr's) for each camera. I then set up state sets to record the lighting rigs and start all renders at the end of the day with one click. I don't have to drag and drop the hdr for each camera because it's been recorded in the state set. It saves me time. In 1.6 the scene environment rollout will not record switching between different hdr's but the max default environment tab does record switching between hdr's. So in that sense I guess I don't need the dome light. And I appreciate the simplicity of corona's approach to limiting confusing options. Which is I can see why the dome light was never created.