Author Topic: Corona Distance Shader slows scene to a crawl  (Read 2910 times)

2019-02-05, 15:21:44

Jeff Grigsby

• Users
    • View Profile
am I do something wrong, just moving geo around the scene cause Max to hang up for 30 seconds, I assume it the corona map distance always calculating  causing this. There should be some kind of global check box to only calculate at render time or scenes can become unusable.

2019-02-05, 15:42:23
Reply #1

Jeff Grigsby

• Users
    • View Profile
After running a few test this absolutely is the case. I can understand why a person would want to have it calculate all of the time for propagating trees in scatter, or using as a physical displacement, but if you are using Corona distance map to blend materials and have several in your scene, it brings scene speed down to a crawl. This needs to be addressed, there should be some sort of global override that only calculates this at render time.

jeff
« Last Edit: 2019-02-05, 15:49:17 by Jeff Grigsby »

2019-02-05, 15:52:00
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, can you send us a scene (even very simple) where this can be observed, and instructions how to reproduce it? (just hit render? or start IR?)
You can use this uploader and let us know here what was the file name: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

Thanks in advance!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-02-05, 16:33:00
Reply #3

Jeff Grigsby

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey, thanks for the quick response.  I will send you the problem geo from the old scene later today.  I love the feature, but I may have figured out how to break it because this has yet to happen to us.

2019-02-05, 16:41:39
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, that would be a solution. The more objects distance map has to consider the slower it gets, a checkbox for rendertime only would be great, but instead of a global setting, it should be set per distance map.

Is the lag you get present while rendering with IR only? I've learnt the hard way to avoid doing any changes to the map or the distance objects while IR is running, it's either unstable or locks up Max for a... while.

2019-02-05, 17:04:57
Reply #5

Jeff Grigsby

• Users
    • View Profile
I am talking about view port lag. I feel like this shader is ramming out my video card, anyone confirm where this map is being stored, because I know I can create real time displacements in the viewport from it, so it so it is either  resident in ram, or the video card's ram.

2019-02-05, 19:16:00
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That happens usually if you have many objects added to a distance map or have multiple maps and you move any of these or edit them in some way. If the material editor is open and displays a map or material using these maps it gets a lot worse, closing it may help. Collapsing these objects so the object list to update is shorter helps too. Not feasible in many situations, though.

2019-02-11, 16:34:15
Reply #7

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
a checkbox for rendertime only would be great, but instead of a global setting, it should be set per distance map.

Agreed! I don't really use distance map due to this reason.

2019-02-15, 14:10:00
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Has someone already sent a scene demonstrating this to us? The uploader is in my signature. After the upload, please let me know what's the file name.
We will definitely look into this.

2019-02-16, 10:37:25
Reply #9

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maru
Not sure if this is the same issue, i fond long ago examples scenes for distance map is very slow to render, for example that with render boolean scene, i think SSS material rendering faster

2019-02-20, 13:48:34
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Has someone already sent a scene demonstrating this to us? The uploader is in my signature. After the upload, please let me know what's the file name.
We will definitely look into this.
^this :)