Author Topic: Starting my own material library  (Read 16704 times)

2015-03-31, 16:31:37

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I as wondering, what is the best way to create my own material library?   I heard some people saying to make a scene for each material and import them, but sounds like such a hassle.
Or some kind of script that helps with that?

Much appreciated!

2015-03-31, 16:37:07
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For what purpose do you need this material library? Do you mean that 'new material library'/'load material library' options are not enough?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-03-31, 16:41:18
Reply #2

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No I mean I want to save my own materials and be able to load them in my standard material library.
Like I bought the viscorbel material tutorials and they had a material file I could append to 3dsmax.

Now I want to make one for myself with my own materials, not sure how to explain it otherwise :D

2015-03-31, 18:09:17
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Get Sigershaders CMPP, it's absolutely amazing for this feature. 3dsMax material libraries are painful to manage, you will import them, 3dsMax will start loading filepaths, Corona rendering small previews in browser, all with horrible lag.

Here is older screenshot of how I use it: It's easy and fast. And looks good. And the Corona versions comes with bunch of materials as wells.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-03-31, 18:16:03
Reply #4

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, its been on my radar for a while, although it's still a bit pricy. I might just take the bitter pill and buy it, the UI does look very clean and i'm losing way to much time figuring out my materials over and over. Wood has such delicate settings.
Thx!

2015-03-31, 18:30:13
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Here is my import process :- )  {maybe it could be streamlined even futher?}

1)Open library
2)Click on material in Material editor
3)Click '+' in CMPP, voila, material added ! I can instantly use it on different 3dsMax file opened, without any restart, since the files are located on disk.
4)Make larger instance of material editor preview (quality 12), screenshot it, save in PS and on the disk.
5)Click image import. Now I have nice thumbnail as well, and it took no time at all.

+ points:

It saves the materials as regular libraries, you can still send them to someone who doesn't use plugin. He will simply import it in Material browser, which is slow, laggy, ugly and with super small thumbnails that need to be rendered realtime (more lag).
I can save them with information in text (usually UVW size, project used, notes to team mates how to use it best).
Looks very good. My OCD side is really happy if something is nice and tidy and looks modern. The other free plugins look like shit. They might work just as good but...that's big no for me.

There are some discounts now on it on website.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-03-31, 18:57:25
Reply #6

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
shrugs, that does sound just the way I want it, now its listed at 140 euros, maybe team corona can fix something lol. Right now the only thing keeping me from buying is it only accepts pay pal lol.

2015-03-31, 23:02:52
Reply #7

Siger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siger Studio
shrugs, that does sound just the way I want it, now its listed at 140 euros, maybe team corona can fix something lol. Right now the only thing keeping me from buying is it only accepts pay pal lol.
:) Up to CMPPmax version 2.0.0 price is 125 euros + Corona Renderer discount 15% (if you are licensed Corona user you receive discount code). I'm thinking about another payment gateway (STRIPE or something... for credit card payment). PayPal also accept credit cards. Now fixing server security and installing a SSL certificate... I have two servers so with them problems are enough :D
« Last Edit: 2015-03-31, 23:06:44 by Siger »

2015-04-01, 11:48:17
Reply #8

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm I should have a discount then lol, I had so many discounts I lost track!

Its settled then, i'l buy it today ha!

2015-04-01, 21:56:50
Reply #9

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Yeah, with the current 15% discount, and Corona users additional 15% off it comes out to $100, going to grab it myself after my next paycheck.

2015-04-02, 00:40:56
Reply #10

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I bought it, so far i'm loving the clean interface!
At first glance some of the materials could have been a bit more refined. But overall very happy with the purchase.

2015-04-07, 07:36:52
Reply #11

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bought Siger CMPP and don't regret buying it!

2015-04-25, 21:44:11
Reply #12

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is my import process :- )  {maybe it could be streamlined even futher?}

1)Open library
2)Click on material in Material editor
3)Click '+' in CMPP, voila, material added ! I can instantly use it on different 3dsMax file opened, without any restart, since the files are located on disk.
4)Make larger instance of material editor preview (quality 12), screenshot it, save in PS and on the disk.
5)Click image import. Now I have nice thumbnail as well, and it took no time at all.

This actually sounds great, but will it also save more complicated node setups from the slate editor? Will it copy textures to its own library?

I've started looking at Connecter, which seems very promising but I can't figure out how to add a material from my scene/material editor to it like you describe with VMMP? I assume it doesn't do that then, but it would be nice to depend on as few add-ons as possible for managing assets, as it is a lot of invested work if one of these relatively small developers decide it is isn't fun anymore.

I've also had a look at Project Manager, but since it completely lacks documentation besides a few silent videos, it is kind of hard to know exactly what it can do. Anyone with experience?

2015-04-26, 23:11:33
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey,.. I don't know. I try to get deeper with Connecter next week once I finish projects.

My plan for now is to keep using both Siger's stuff (CMPP now), and Connecter.

Funky fact: Because ProjectManager does what I wanted, but looks miserable, I asked my brother to code single plugin that would merge the capability of PM, with look of Siger, but more customizable ( I need docking ! :- ) ).
And then... Connecter came, which made this obsolete.

I doubt these plugs will go out of way any soon, but of course, would be unfortunate would that ever happen. Until 3dsMax integrates it as feature (like fantastic UnrealEngine4 ContentBrowser).

2015-04-27, 01:12:51
Reply #14

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj,

Definitely like the look of Connecter (and VMPP as well) and it would be great if it would allow addition of materials so only one was needed, but I also like that Project Manager can render thumbnails from non-Max scene objects, like 3ds and obj. I've had some weird behavior from Connecter but could be because I'm running the project manager demo simultaneously, not sure.

I like the drag and drop of thumbnails in Connecter, doesn't seem to be available in VMPP, adding a cumbersome step of saving and importing a screen shot.

Another thing with VMPP since you seem to use it frequently, is there a way to import existing material libraries into the user library without having to load the material into Max first?

Amazing that more people aren't asking for something like this. I've collected a ton of stuff over the years and come to the point where I don't seem to find anything anymore.  :)