Author Topic: New diffuse shaders from Sergey Shliaev  (Read 5860 times)

2015-01-16, 22:03:00

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I wish you could just hire this guy. Another interesting implementation. Little things, but so cool.

http://www.shlyaev.com/rnd/37-cpp-category/60-diffuseshaders

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-16, 22:10:42
Reply #1

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page

2015-01-16, 22:23:46
Reply #2

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-01-17, 09:07:50
Reply #3

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now that's some magic...  Is there way to maybe emulate the looks? Did you try?

2015-01-17, 11:54:16
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No I didn't. Perhaps some AO or special diffuse fallof curve could provide something of that sort.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-01-17, 11:57:00
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
This looks very simple to implement. Perhaps in the future there will be an API for creating custom BRDFs in Corona
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-01-17, 16:59:21
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The thing is that in real world, almost all of the non-metallic materials have some (even if tiny) amount of SSS, and from the picture comparison, to me it looks like lambert model is better at fooling eye into believing the material has tiny bit of SSS going on since shadow falloff is softer. In reality it would be crazy to make everything in your (for example interior) scene covered by SSS materials.

I am all for it, but i would not replace Lambert with it. For example Vray and MR have a roughness parameter next to diffuse, which blends Lambert with rough Oren-Nayar model. So perhaps corona could have one that blends between Lambert and Full moon :)

2015-01-17, 17:03:35
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Heh, actually i just found out Oren Nayar may be an older attempt to approximate same diffuse reflectance model :)

Source: http://www.sfdm.scad.edu/faculty/mkesson/vsfx755/wip/best/spring2012/kevin_george/final/index.html

2015-01-17, 17:28:18
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I am all for it, but i would not replace Lambert with it.

No I don't wish so either, I don't think the author was comparing them as equal, just as visual comparison purely to judge the behavior.

The Disney's research paper showed some additional contenders to Lambert for regular use.

Interesting to know that's what Vray's roughness does (blending with O-N), I always just knew it adds "dusty" feeling but never found occasion where to try it.

2015-01-17, 18:03:10
Reply #9

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow the details really pop out more in the comparison images on his site.
Vray who?