Author Topic: Sun too big / intense  (Read 794 times)

2024-01-18, 13:35:50

XamB.

• Users
    • View Profile
I have a question about the corona sun and corona sky objects. Whenever I place these objects, my scene gets heavily over-exposed. It seems like the default intensity is way to high. Without using the Simple Exposure settings in the VFB render, my scene is almost not visible. All I see is a very overexposed scene and the sky is completely white. Only if I adjust the Simple Exposure to about -4 the scene seems to be alright. Are there some general settings I am missing or what could be the problem? Or is it normal to use the Simple Exposure settings like this? (I am a unexperienced corona user)

My system:
MacBookPro 2018
processor: 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Cinema4D / Corona:
Version • 11
Build timestamp • Nov 29 2023 19:27:40
Cinema version • R25.113 Cinema 4D

2024-01-18, 13:52:42
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I believe the sun/sky intensity is modeled to be physically accurate, exposure at 0 EV is probably defined to be some sort of a typical camera time/f-stop/film sensitivity setting, hence the need to turn it down to not be over-exposed.
When you look at how bright the sun is versus an overcast sky versus a typical interior lighting it makes sense that it needs to be defined somewhere in the middle and that the default exposure will not be able to cover all cases and needs some adjusting.

2024-01-18, 13:53:55
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Default exposure has to be either set for an interior, or an exterior. We chose for an interior. If we'd set the default to be for exteriors, we'd get the reverse complaints that interiors are too dark by default :)

So all this is expected and by design. You can save a default scene with things set up the way you need, e.g. with the exposure already adjusted, and always use that as a starting point, if you wish.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-01-18, 14:13:44
Reply #3

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-01-18, 14:50:01
Reply #4

XamB.

• Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much! This explains everything.

2024-01-18, 19:27:06
Reply #5

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are familiar with photography, I'd recommend using a Corona Camera and the Photographic Exposure settings in the Tone Mapping. You need to add it to the list and then disable Simple Exposure.

Or you can just use the Simple Exposure setting and turn it in the negative numbers.