Author Topic: Version differences and their purpose  (Read 33726 times)

2017-06-05, 13:19:36

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

it looks there is a little confusion in Corona for Cinema 4D versioning so here is a summary:

Daily build - it is a development build of the latest Corona for Cinema 4D source codes i.e. the daily build is always of the newest version that is currently in development. It helps us get continuous feedback on our work. When we implement a new feature, we want to get it out to users as soon as possible to get instant feedback. The added benefit is that the features get tested on a broader range of hardware than we have at our disposal. However, for these reasons the daily build versions can be quite unstable and buggy.

Release candidate - when current development version has all planned features implemented we start to release the release candidates. Their purpose is to find and fix all remaining bugs. No new features should be added to release candidates, but when it is not a significant change, and it is connected to some bug fix a small feature could also be added to release candidate. The number of release candidates is not planned, and stability of them only limits it.

Stable release - when the latest release candidate is stable enough (all major bugs are fixed) we release the stable version. It is stable version so it is used by render farms.

Hotfix - when some major bug appears in the already released stable version we take the source code of it and we fix only the bug, no new features are added so it becomes the latest stable version. Because it is the most stable version is used by render farms.

NameLocation
Daily build"Beta 1 daily build 2017-05-17" or "Daily build 2017-05-17" or "2017-05-17"https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/board,40.0.html
Release candidate"Beta 1 release candidate 1" or "Beta 1 RC 1"https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/board,40.0.html
Stable release"Beta 1" or "B1" - precommercial release or "1.0" - commercial releasehttps://corona-renderer.com/download
Hotfix"Beta 1 (hotfix 1)" or "Beta 1.1" or "B1.1" - precommercial release or "1.0 (hotfix 1)" or "1.0.1" - commercial releasehttps://corona-renderer.com/download

Edit: Improved the wording to better express what daily builds are for.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-08, 14:47:26 by houska »

2019-07-05, 09:53:43
Reply #1

Merlin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nikola,
I think you must test yourself, we are no longer beta testers, we pay to have a stable version...
No More daily build please.

2019-07-05, 11:21:19
Reply #2

dzintas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nikola,
I think you must test yourself, we are no longer beta testers, we pay to have a stable version...

No ones forcing you to download and use daily builds. Just stick to latest stable release until another stable release comes out.
Removing dailies would make development slower and stable releases bugier. As much as you don't like dailies, but it saves some time on QA and gets better coverage of different system configurations.

2019-07-05, 11:30:44
Reply #3

Place

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-07-08, 11:09:18
Reply #4

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
No ones forcing you to download and use daily builds. Just stick to latest stable release until another stable release comes out.
Removing dailies would make development slower and stable releases bugier. As much as you don't like dailies, but it saves some time on QA and gets better coverage of different system configurations.

+1

2019-09-06, 14:34:23
Reply #5

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I love the daily builds that are actually unique for Corona as far as I know. Keep them coming.
I have not worked with a daily build that was useless so far. I often find the the added features very usewful even before the official release. I can always download he stable release when ever I like.

2021-09-30, 18:55:37
Reply #6

nii

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys please I need a quick answer for this ....Does corona 7 support the corona volume grid for cinema 4D

2021-09-30, 19:05:40
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys please I need a quick answer for this ....Does corona 7 support the corona volume grid for cinema 4D

Yes, that's when the volume grid was added - it features in the blog post and new features video https://blog.corona-renderer.com/corona-renderer-7-for-cinema-4d-released/
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-10-01, 09:44:59
Reply #8

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nikola,

Just use the Stable release then. It's very wise to allow consumer testing of the daily builds. As everyone works differently and into different pipelines. The personnel at Corona cannot possible have the time and knowledge to beta test all variables. Moreover open-beta testing  encourages dialogue and community among the user-base.

2021-10-04, 12:01:17
Reply #9

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I always work with the daily builds and love it. My projects benifit by the latest features and I can live with the few bugs they might have. But to be honest, I haven't experienced any problems witht the daily builds at all. Actually the contrary, the daily builds often have problems fixed and updated for the latest OS and C4D versions.

The Daily Builds are indeed unique to Corona Render and are very transparent in the way they should be used. I love them. I check for them almost daily :-)

2021-10-04, 12:06:13
Reply #10

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
I would like to add that daily builds are quite thoroughly (not as much as final releases, obviously) tested prior to their forum release, so they should not be considered for beta testers, as-in "do our work for us", but rather as an opportunity to have a peek into the latest features, and provide valuable feedback for us, which ever so often, though not exclusively, includes bug reports.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.