Author Topic: Corona made me switch from Cinema 4D/Vray to 3Ds Max/Corona.  (Read 4898 times)

2014-05-03, 21:39:41

JayHPatel

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

First of all I'd like to commend everyone involved in the Corona Renderer development process for a job very well done.
I am primarily a Cinema 4D/Vray user but I've been keeping an eye on this for quite some time (been reading Juraj Talcik's 'Icelandic House' thread on repeat, very inspiring artist)
Seeing that it still isn't out for Cinema 4D, I made the switch to 3Ds Max 3 days ago for a clients project not knowing how it would work out since I wasn't that familiar with either of the softwares. I did some quick tests to see the results and I'm very impressed and I still want to learn more.

A few of the issues I faced were (I hope I'm not repeating them):

- Not being able to see my textures in the viewport but I downloaded the latest script and there's an option enable textures
(although making the viewport laggy)
- maybe it's just me being dumb, but I couldn't figure out how to give my glass that fog in Vray. I tried the absorption feature but even the smallest of increments made the glass almost opaque.
-Not sure about the animation workflow yet (still used to the whole Light Cache/Irradiance Map workflow)

Apart from that, I love everything from the simplicity of use to the beautiful material previews.

I will attach a few WIP raw test renders and hopefully I can get pointers from the members.

Thank you.

Jay.

2014-05-03, 22:36:28
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
While i can imagine going from Vray to Corona may be a pleasant experience, i can also imagine that going from C4D to 3ds Max may be quite a pain :D

Viewport should not lag when viewing textures... make sure you have all service packs for your 3ds Max version, then up to date graphic drivers, and a good GPU. Viewing textures in viewport is super easy, just click a small checkerboard icon in material editor...  it's for showing textures. BUT you need to be in the actual bitmap node, if you use old material editor, or have the bitmap node selected, if you use slate. It will not work in the material... it has to be done in the texture itself.

Absorbtion is based on distance in units. That means at given distance, absorbtion color will have 100% of the effect, at double distance 200%, etc... So you may actually need larger values...  Vray's fog parameter does not make any sense... it's some arbitrary multiplier... but multiplier of what? Potatoes? :) In Corona, say you have 1cm thick glass, and you know that absorbtion takes full effect exactly 1cm deep, so you just input 1cm... that's it.

2014-05-04, 09:09:59
Reply #2

JayHPatel

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rawalanche,

Thanks for the reply, well I started out with 3ds Max around 4 years ago but I had to promptly make a switch to C4D due to some circumstances. I had been thinking of switching back to Max for a while mainly due to the amazing plugins/softwares it supports which C4D does not.

I was using the compact material editor with a color correction map and then a bitmap, I found the checkerboard greyed out. I will try your method once I get on a PC.

Thanks a lot once again :)

2014-05-05, 19:53:30
Reply #3

rampally

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Absorbtion is based on distance in units. That means at given distance, absorbtion color will have 100% of the effect, at double distance 200%, etc... So you may actually need larger values...  Vray's fog parameter does not make any sense... it's some arbitrary multiplier... but multiplier of what? Potatoes? :) In Corona, say you have 1cm thick glass, and you know that absorbtion takes full effect exactly 1cm deep, so you just input 1cm... that's it.
[/quote]
THIS IS WHY I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE CORONA

2014-05-05, 20:07:55
Reply #4

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Them Towels

Really nice textures; the floor looks pretty aswell.