Author Topic: Corona Colour Correct exposure is backwards when "invert colours" is enabled.  (Read 464 times)

2023-05-23, 16:10:18

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Title sums it up.

If you enable "Invert Colors" on the Corona Color Correct map, then increasing the exposure makes the map darker and decreasing exposure makes it brighter.

2023-05-23, 16:42:57
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Sam,

Just to make sure: you mean "Invert Colors" on the Corona Color Correct map and then increasing the exposure on the Corona Color Correct map, right? Not some other type of exposure, like the VFB tone mapping exposure operator?

If that's the case, then this is currently the expected behavior. The inversion is applied after the exposure adjustment, so you end up with inverted exposure too. To prevent that, you could connect your Color Correct map to another Color Correct, and adjust the exposure in the 2nd one.

If the current behavior is highly unwanted for you, can you explain why? (how exactly are you using this?)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-05-23, 17:55:24
Reply #2

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Marcin,

That's correct, I'm changing the exposure on the corona color correct map.

I did consider using multiple corona color correct maps, but in the interest of keeping materials simple for other users to understand/edit I opted for one map.
Wouldn't multiple Corona Colour Correct maps also begin to affect performance (even if by a very small amount, but this could add up to a significant impact if it were done on every material in a large scene)

My use case in this instance is to invert a glossiness map to use as roughness and then use the Corona Colour Correct exposure control to adjust the overall roughness level from the map.
The reason for doing it this way instead of switching the Corona Material to "glossiness" is just for consistency with other materials.

Perhaps a simple UI change would be more appropriate - the way that it is currently laid out with the Invert Colours checkbox being listed above exposure implies that exposure happens after the inversion.