Author Topic: Straight vs Curved displacement map gradient ramp  (Read 2244 times)

2019-10-22, 13:10:56

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. We have a project where we need large areas of randomised tilted bricks on a curved surface - best shown in the attached test image. I've made the large randomised displacement map in omnitiles for photoshop with a single basic B/W gradient tile randomised out to fill a large area with a white grout mask. The effect is working well apart from the fact that Corona is interpreting the gradient as a curve rather than a straight line. I just cant think of a way of representing this gradient another way in photoshop so corona reads it as a straight ramp rather than curved. Is there anything I can do in corona to tell it to read it as a straight ramp? or do something different in PS?

Thanks 

2019-10-22, 14:23:19
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-22, 14:40:39
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ha Ha, thanks. But I'm afraid I will need to be spoon fed. I cant work out how to change a bitmaps gamma to gamma 1.

2019-10-22, 14:47:52
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
When you load bitmap, select "override gamma" like this.

2019-10-22, 14:48:37
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks again. I've just added a gamma of 0.454 in the colour correct shader and that seems to be helping things. I've been playing with gradient knots in Photoshop so I might need to go back to my original and see what happens. Thanks again.

2019-10-22, 14:49:11
Reply #5

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah just seen your post on the loader page - yes will do that.

2019-10-22, 14:55:45
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Regarding photoshop part, IIRC by default photoshop's gradient isn't exactly linear, it adds some curve to it called "smoothing" or something like that, so you may want to remove it first. I can't tell you where to find it exactly, since i don't use photoshop anymore.

By the way, did you try Bercon tiles and Bercon gradient? They are perfect tools for such procedural bricks.

2019-10-22, 15:08:38
Reply #7

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good intel. I've used the gradient smart filter set to linear but I can't see any further advanced options without digging further. In the mean time I'm pretty happy with the results now, especially as we wont be getting this close in the final image. Thanks again for your help.

2019-10-22, 15:42:43
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome! Bricks looks straight to me, maybe defaults were changed in the more recent versions.