Author Topic: disappointing strong GI flickering in animation  (Read 2483 times)

2017-07-31, 10:35:18

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I set a flythrough (camera move only) animation away over the weekend and it has just finished in time. Generally Im happy with the noise and look of it and finished in a reasonable time although some frames were taking 45 mins to render. But there are two major issues.

1. I set the cut off to be by noise level (5%) for consistent results but whilst for the most part this worked well I am getting some dropped frames in terms of sampling where the render time would drop by 50% and there is a noisy frame which really jumps out. I think this can be fixable by manually trawling for each frame and re-rendering those ones - its probably about 1 in every 100 or so. No reason I can think of and the culprit frames were on different PCs and the sequence will have been on the same PC as I had to manually assign chunks of frames and not use DR as Im a C4D user (latest beta).

2. Most problematic is I have very strong GI flickering on some of the surfaces - think incorrectly set up Vray of 5 years ago. I have set my GI method to animation (non flicker) with precision set to default one. All GI and other settings are default. I just changed the GI method and pressed render. I do have bloom and glare in the scene which I would like to keep in. Not sure if its related to that but I thought GI splotching wasn't even possible with corona?? Not sure how I would avoid this in the future as there are no settings to tweak for flickering as far as im aware. This may be C4D bug so I will post this there in the bugs section but wondered if it was more of a corona wide issue - perhaps related to the new sampling method?

I have checked for double faces and that shouldnt be the issue.

Unfortunately I cant post the results but might send it in to the brains. If anyone has got any ideas on what I can change for next time that would be helpful.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 2017-07-31, 10:42:50 by Rhodesy »

2017-07-31, 11:03:48
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
duplicate of https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=16987.new#new
not sure if we should leave both threads open
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-31, 11:15:26
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes its a hard one for C4D users as this more general forum probably gets the most visibility and it might be a corona wide issue that others have. Where the C4D one has less users but it might just be a C4D bug? Its easier for Max users as they can just post in the general forums. If you want to close this its fine then.