Author Topic: strong normal shader artifacts  (Read 4959 times)

2017-02-19, 16:55:32

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A6.2 C4D R18

Ive got some major artifacts popping up on this paving texture. It is a substance material loaded in with R18s native loader which works really well. I have also tried this with the baked out maps and its still the same so its not the substance.

Anyway if you look at the attached images you will see a stong line artifact over the paving when the normal map is activated. I have loaded the substance normal in to a corona normal shader and the effect works well apart from the lines show in PS and they line up fine so I think this a bug. Anyone else seen this before?

2017-02-19, 19:35:25
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
tested with COBBLESTONE-02 4k-demo from RDT

seems ok

could you show textures, the setup or prepare/share a test scene?

2017-02-19, 22:09:44
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes that one looks fine. Ive just sent you a PM with a link to the file if you have time to try it at your end. Cheers

2017-02-20, 01:31:54
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah...
Keep in mind - Subdivide the mesh (while procedural, simply give it few segments: Attributes > Object)  ;)

pay attention to the marked area

2017-02-20, 11:09:09
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmm that's strange, I still have the issue no matter what the subdivision. I've just tried it on my work PC as well. I thought that you only needed to subdivide when using displacement but perhaps I have over looked that. I realise this example does have displacement as well but even when the displacement is deactivated it happens with the normal shader. Would you be able to test the floor area which has the most pronounced lines on your fixed version to see if it works there or perhaps send your file back to me if you have the time. I appreciate your help and time, thanks Burnin.

2017-02-24, 19:39:53
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same, wrong appearance with Corona.
Tried all possible setting combinations, all show bad results.

With Standard AR works OK
*Note: Flip Y (Green)

2017-02-24, 20:07:34
Reply #6

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for testing that burnin. You have illustrated the problem much better than I did. I used that texture with the normals with some success in a project where the lines weren't noticeable - perhaps the angle of cam and sun made the difference and the size of area. However I noticed I did have to manually uv map my geometry to get the normal effect to show. Also when I added the displacement channel it crashed a lot which has also been reported. It occurs more the larger and more complex the whole scene is.

2017-03-17, 13:21:00
Reply #7

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, would it be possible to send us the scene, that we can check our fix also fixes this issue? Thank you

2017-03-25, 10:06:00
Reply #8

synolog

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Solved in A6.3.

2017-03-25, 13:55:11
Reply #9

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, working fine even with substance
(note: Normal map (Bump) Strength is set to 1000% for more pronounced visual effect)

2017-03-25, 14:13:35
Reply #10

synolog

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've also tried to increase the exposure of the normal map. Now trying bump with corona_normal->filter_c4d->corona_normal and use the filter settings to control the bump strength.