Author Topic: Render Legion and Corona Join Forces with Chaos Group  (Read 87867 times)

2017-08-25, 23:35:15
Reply #30

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, please stop the wave of hate, stay calm, and take a look at https://corona-renderer.com/blog/new-horizons-plans-for-2017-and-beyond/
Nice words and all, but so far, I'm waiting to see ONE SINGLE merger of this kind, resulting in something benefiting the consumer/user. You just ruined the competition in the rendering business - ence all the hate.

Vray and Corona are too much of similar to keep developing them as seperate products in the long run. My bet is Corona will be around for a year or two, then it will be fully incorporated into Vray. Some time during this period, Corona subscribers will be offered a discounted switchover to Chaos's "render package". This is just how things work in this day and age.

Enjoy your new monies, though.

2017-08-25, 23:36:28
Reply #31

matsu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am truly disappointed. Say what you want about tools being just tools but corona had a fresh look and feel. Now I have the feeling this tech exchange with vray will lead to a sea of monotonous vray-corona hybrid renders. :(

R&D will be amazing from now on...

Kinda like it's amazing with Autodesk's 3dsmax.........

2017-08-25, 23:38:47
Reply #32

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
On a positive note we could potentially see some cross pollination on the GPU side.  :)  If there was one thing that I felt would be an issue for Corona going forward, it was the apparent negligence of GPU technology. Vray has some very skilled people there I am sure.

Looking at this historically, the typical VRay user seems very technical whereas the Corona user more 'artistic' (not to suggest Vray users aren't artistic, but in general more interested in what is going on under the hood). I think someone like Vlado realized that it will be very difficult to offer one product that cater to everybody, and that there is room for two 'flavors'.

Having said that, I think going forward Vray will become more advanced and focused on larger studios, pipelines and VFX. It is not sustainable in the long run to have two, feature wise, almost identical products with the only difference that one of them in general is easier to use. The remaining market for the more complicated one would gradually become smaller and smaller.

I expect a similar development as between Maya and Max, which is basically the law of market positioning of products. Not necessarily bad for the bulk of users, but not as fun.

2017-08-25, 23:55:59
Reply #33

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, first of all CONGRATULATIONS to the corona team! I work in product development and know the huge deal something like this is, and how different is from what the rest of the world can percieve. You will get a lot of hate, no doubt, you will be called sellouts, stupid, traitors etc... Don't listen to that shit. You should be very proud!

Now, as a user, I have to confess I'm a little bit nervous, while I believe you made this deal with the best intentions and the interest of users at heart, it is very difficult to do right by that intention. I won't pretend to know what is your specific vision, and what are your secret awesome plans... I wish this is one of the few cases in which an acquisition results in better products and more innovation (human nature says it wont).

I hope you can soon share with us some of your specific future plans and end game, as the blog statements are very vague and really could mean anything, or at least are vague enough that they can change at any time. 

Future plans for both companies will 100% for sure have to change dramatically, would be interesting to know a little bit on how.

You certainly took a big chink of customers from V-ray in the archviz market and probably were planning on going after other markets as well.  As Corona is CHEAPER than Vray by a significant amount (even if it's very profitable), it absolutely doesn't make sense to allow Corona to gain any more ground now, or keep prices the same.

I agree that Corona and Vray have different DNAs, but the market forced Corona to compete with Vray and therefore increase the overlap between the two. I would love to know, now that you are under the same roof and the plan is (probably) to fully express this DNA without worrying about competing, what market do you want to tackle with full force?

Congratulations and remember to be mindful about your dreams and passion, as those vanish slowly without you noticing, don't allow that to happen to you! I've seen it too many times.

2017-08-26, 00:09:01
Reply #34

Crazy Homeless Guy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Excited that Corona is getting VFX tools.  Now if they can just fix the huge ram consumption maybe this engine will be able to render more than just nice interiors and houses.  Corona would likely never have a shot at being used for anything more than visualization and product renders going down the path that they were pursuing, now their game has changed.  New tools and a lot more exposure in Hollywood.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-26, 01:35:00 by Crazy Homeless Guy »

2017-08-26, 00:26:55
Reply #35

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
we believed in you
and you betrayed us
Corona could become the meaning of your life, a product that gave you money and interesting work, such as facebook for Mark Zuckerberg
but you wanted money, a lot of money and this is very distressing
Autodesk bought Softtimage because he was afraid of competition, they promised that everything would be fine, that Softmage will develop, you zanete that now with the great Softmage?
The same thing will happen with the Corona renderer
This is your development, your brainchild, how could you sell it to the Chaos Group?
How could you sell it to your enemies that you defeated?
Money is not the most important thing in life

Do you know the game of Minecraft?
Do you know the creator of this game?
He sold his game to Microsoft
they paid him a lot of money
but he is not happy
because the development of this game - it was the purpose of his life
now he has a lot of money, but he has no purpose in life and he is not happy, although he is rich
Come to your senses, return everything back

2017-08-26, 00:53:17
Reply #36

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yuriy Bochkaryov, Corona is still being developed by the same team, with the same goals and passion as ever. This was all about investing in the growth of the product that both you and we love so much! Like the article says, this was Render Legion looking for the right investor who understood our business, and with many options considered, this one was chosen - with over a year spent on getting the details of the arrangement just right, to ensure that the Corona we all love is one one hand protected, and on the other able to grow as the team has always wanted and planned :)

The Minecraft analogy just doesn't hold up, that was someone selling the product and walking away from the development, not staying at the helm of the development. - very far from the situation here as the blog article says.

Don't forget to think about this side of it all - our development team is set to double (just imagine what we can do with twice as many people!), and that this is all to "help us to push Corona Renderer and other projects even further." No-one is excited to think just what we can do, the same developers you've known and talked with so long, with these resources? ;)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-08-26, 01:51:54
Reply #37

A515

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.arch515.com
I don't know what to think really. Usually, I am a very positive person, but, in a general way both software do the same, so why a company that is trying to be profitable will want to have two of the same??
Corona team was really kicking Chaosgroup to make a better software, They were an absolute winner after Metal Ray, and Final Render and good old Brazil virtually died.
Development of VRay was consistent but after corona came in the game, boy those 'new features' came up pretty quickly.
Corona came with a big bang!!.
now what?

classic, so it blocks something that threatens ..

2017-08-26, 02:19:37
Reply #38

M0ntana

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-08-26, 02:28:19
Reply #39

stravamir

• Users
    • View Profile
Well, first of all CONGRATULATIONS to the corona team!...

I hope you can soon share with us some of your specific future plans and end game, as the blog statements are very vague and really could mean anything, or at least are vague enough that they can change at any time. 

Future plans for both companies will 100% for sure have to change dramatically, would be interesting to know a little bit on how.

How great would it be when mergers happen that we get transparency on plans of companies. But that's not how bigger companies work. When you are a small, friendly and personal business and also a challenger doing something different then you get a lot of really passionate users. These early adopters really want you to succeed. From the perspective of the company corona has a little bit of unique tech, great UI, and a lot of promise and potential. Now, to grow is a totally different challenge. It makes sense to join a bigger more experienced company that has what it takes to take it to another level. New challenges require new skills and corona's team is there to learn how to do business in a bigger league. On a different scale, in different markets. There is no reason to expect something radical will happen over night. Teams stay the same. Over next couple of years the culture of corona might change, and it's original enthusiast users will leave at the first sign of another cooler product. But new ones will come. The product will be stronger, faster, more capable. But the user base might become less passionate. You can call it growing up, or going big, or selling out, or what ever. But it's whats best for the product, and for money making. I expect corona to shoot for the moon and hit the stars. In next couple of years it's possible it will be there with vray, arnold and renderman as a render of consideration in every multi million dollar  production. Over a long period 5 years and on, depending on it's position there might not be a need to push it at all and things might slow down. And ultimately on the long run loosing a competitor will be bad for the end user. Hopefully something else will rise, and is rising as we speak to take that place. There will still be plenty of competition in this market to push things further. Over time the room for innovation might even become smaller as there render engines mature to the point that adding another 10% speed increase per year is considered respectable and all the render features are supported everywhere almost equally. What has been lost is an opportunity to keep developing independently and grow a lot on your own, this would have taken a lot of time and might not have worked out in the end. But it would be an opportunity for corona to show a middle finger to oscar winning renders. Some passionate early users joint the corona train when corona needed them most, when it was the hardest to use corona. They did it to stick it to other companies that got lazy. Looking at corona devs their passion is to create good rendering software and make boat loads of money and not to change the market, the world or stick it to the corporate class. So I guess you can keep on using corona for what it's worth - simplicity, features, speed, accessibility, and even price. And if it gets more expensive, well it will be faster with more features. Isn't that what you wanted?

2017-08-26, 02:46:33
Reply #40

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i love corona...i have a mixed feeling about this... monopoly is always bad for the consumer.. competition makes you constantly innovate...When your business is the only one, innovation tends to be ignored...

2017-08-26, 03:01:19
Reply #41

jkcameron

• Users
    • View Profile
of course, not one mention on chaos groups site or news or press..... Grrrr.....

This is how it always is anymore. 

Ill pray that this isn't a couple year stall to the arch viz rendering sector.

Corona that is a compliment wrapped in criticism.  If the ink isn't dry... back out.

2017-08-26, 03:08:11
Reply #42

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quite honestly shocked!!! I have read all the statements, they say exactly what they have to say. However the game is NEVER as you are told in these cases, I am sorry but this is not hate, just stone cold honest experience. There is NEVER pure innocent intent in strategic aquisitions, it is about business. There will be a compromise, there always is and the users will pay the price. Chaos just pulled a blinder imho :(

2017-08-26, 03:20:32
Reply #43

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I just saw this news casually visiting evermotion.org or .com? No sure now when I saw the merger thingy.

How I feel about this? Not good tbh. I have always rooted for you guys. Loved the community you guys have built here and I remember trying out your corona A6 some years back and loving it because mental ray was such a pain to use. We couldn't use vray during our university course. Corona was an underdog and came to the rescue.

For a lot of people here, we have experienced all too well, big giant companies in the cg industry buying out their competitors and after a couple of years, these new apps are killed off or monopoly becomes the norm and users start getting ripped off in terms of features that should be added.

This is driving professional users towards opensource, for example Blender which has proved to be quite solid in all areas imho and are unrelenting in adding features. I will just say this. People are going to express how they feel. Nevertheless, I hope you guys know what you are doing, and in the next 5 years, this forum will still be up hopefully. :(

Wish you guys the best.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-26, 10:01:43 by melviso »

2017-08-26, 03:48:15
Reply #44

iacdxb

• Active Users
  • 3D Deisgner
    • View Profile
    • www.behance.net/iacdxb
« Last Edit: 2017-08-26, 03:55:16 by iacdxb »
Windows, Cinema 4D 2023.