Author Topic: Pricing and release date announced  (Read 190826 times)

2014-10-08, 15:15:23
Reply #75

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you think hobbies should be free ? I am asking in good faith :- ) It's one of the more interesting topics I picked up here, not wish to sideline discussion, just interests me a bit. Cheers

I was hoping there would be a version that hobbyists could use, as hobbyists often tend to turn into paying customers later. I was guessing there would be a version with limited size output, no access to dailys, etc. Perhaps I'll enroll in a college so I can get the edu version! (although I'm far too old for a college)

2014-10-08, 15:42:24
Reply #76

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really hope Corona team will have some similar offer, otherwise i'll have to go back to A6, because i can't justify to pay such money for hobby alone.

Aren't all alphas scheduled to stop working by the end of the year? I guess us hobbyists will have to say goodbye to Corona.

Do you think hobbies should be free ? I am asking in good faith :- ) It's one of the more interesting topics I picked up here, not wish to sideline discussion, just interests me a bit. Cheers

I don't really understand why so many hobbyists are complaining about Corona pricing if they can afford 3ds Max.. (or can they..?) Correct me if I'm wrong but the only option to use 3ds Max legally for free is by using a student license and if you are a student you can get Corona really cheap. Or if you have acquired 3ds Max some other way you can still use Corona for 20-25 EUR/month.

I live in a quite poor country myself and of course I'd like everything cheap, but 20-25 EUR for my hobby per month is not something I would consider really high. For example my monthly pass for public transport costs 40% more. All my other hobbies and interests cost way more than Corona.
I think in the long run even a hobbyist can make profit with Corona.

For me the pricing seems reasonable(but I'm no expert) because Corona seems to be a high quality software with regular updates, so I would say that these guys deserve that much. And as others said, it is not really common for a company to discuss pricing.

Edit: Of course it would be great if Corona would have a limited free version but it is not easy to decide what limitations should be applied to a free version so I can understand why the developers did not go there yet.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 15:45:55 by AnnieC »

2014-10-08, 15:43:01
Reply #77

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I was hoping there would be a version that hobbyists could use, as hobbyists often tend to turn into paying customers later. I was guessing there would be a version with limited size output, no access to dailys, etc. Perhaps I'll enroll in a college so I can get the edu version! (although I'm far too old for a college)

I remember similar discussion when Unreal4 and CryEngine went to SaaS while no longer providing free version of the 'same' soft. But they kept the original (UDK3 & CE3) in free limbo (no support, no update, no commercial use, but functioning ).
Maybe this is some middle solution that works for all. But it does need limitations as no can can policy if you're actually using that for commercial purpose which isn't exactly fair to the team.

I don't really understand why so many hobbyists are complaining about Corona pricing if they can afford 3ds Max.. (or can they..?)

Very good point :- ) Not only 3dsMax, but supposedly even 5-10 nodes purely for 'hobby' work. It's just dishonest.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-08, 15:45:18
Reply #78

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't really understand why so many hobbyists are complaining about Corona pricing if they can afford 3ds Max.. (or can they..?)

I have six copies at work, all with home use licenses, which my company pays for (floating network licenses). I don't pay for max.

Please don't imply I am a pirate or assume I'm doing "commercial work" with it.

2014-10-08, 15:47:27
Reply #79

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I agree, it's an interesting and complicated topic.
On one hand you're using a product to create pretty pictures / art and not making any money out of it.
On the other hand you're using a product in which people invested time, money, knowledge and hard work. Why should they care how i use it.
If i use a guitar to create pretty melodies / art, i'm definitely not getting it for free, even if it's body is shaped to spell "Gibson" :)

And again, how could anybody control that it's really used for personal use only? Even with suggested limited render size, how big? 800×600? This sounds like something small enough to be useless in commercial purposes. But in all other purposes as well.

To answer your question - i don't know :) I guess it would be nice if ALL hobbies would be free, in a perfect world :)

With all that said, i think pricing is fair, there is no room for complaints, and the moment i start making money rendering on my own i will definitely buy Corona.

(Whispers: it still would be nice to have personal license like the one romullus speaks of :D )

2014-10-08, 15:52:08
Reply #80

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have six copies at work, all with home use licenses, which my company pays for (floating network licenses). I don't pay for max.

Please don't imply I am a pirate or assume I'm doing "commercial work" with it.

My next sentence started with "Correct me if I'm wrong.." because I'm not very knowledgeable about 3ds Max licensing options. You did correct me, thank you. Now I understand how can someone use 3ds Max legally without paying. 
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 15:56:31 by AnnieC »

2014-10-08, 15:53:23
Reply #81

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks Blank, nice reply :- )

Is perhaps out of reach to ask your company to pay for home licence of Corona so you can improve yourself ? Or perhaps Corona will go for network licence as well, I don't know, that would let you travel same way as with 3dsMax.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-10-08, 15:55:51
Reply #82

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is perhaps out of reach to ask your company to pay for home licence of Corona so you can improve yourself ? Or perhaps Corona will go for network licence as well, I don't know, that would let you travel same way as with 3dsMax.

No chance of that. we have a purely mentalRay workflow. I have asked several times. We are already debating cutting the number of Max seats due to Autodesk's price hikes.

Nothing would make me happier than buying Corona at work, but I'd have to retrain the staff and it would cut into development time.

AnnieC, my tone might have sounded angry, it wasn't, and apologies if my reply seemed brief. I'm having a horribly busy day full of system problems.

2014-10-08, 15:57:46
Reply #83

Benjamin_F

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the pricing is really good. The SaaS license(not the promo) costs about 7 pack of cigarettes, at least here in Hungary, and thats for a month!
That's silly if you think that you get a really powerful tool for this, with continoous updates. And I'm the stubborn kind of guy who love to own things, but with
Corona I see the whole SaaS in a very different light. Ohh, and I can earn money with this tool to spend it on hobbies. :)

Anyway hobbies can be pricey things, think about photography, traveling, go to swim, painting, somethimes a brush cost the same (or more) than 1 month Corona.
But I love to do my hobbies, so I'm happy to spend money on them.

- just edited some typing errors
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 16:04:08 by Benjamin_F »

2014-10-08, 16:07:04
Reply #84

dancem

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You use 10 computers to render personal/ non-commercial stuff (what's the electricity bill like)?
1 PC is taking 180W per hour, while it in render. I am rendering not often, so there not so much to pay for electricity. I bought most of  the PCs used, on local market, so they are cheaper than Corona box license :)

How much you would have to pay with v-ray? Can you calculate that? I do have a feeling that they offer 1 render node for free with you license.
Yeah, Vray have higher prices. But it is powerful instrument with years of expirience. It can be used for any tasks, it have tons of the tweaks, very flexible, and can render as fast as nobody can render. I am using Vray for the years. Vray 3.0 with Embree support it blazing fast on Intel CPUs.
With such prices on Corona I am not so interested in it. Vray seems to be more interesting solution in my case.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 16:17:47 by dancem »

2014-10-08, 16:11:32
Reply #85

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

No chance of that. we have a purely mentalRay workflow. I have asked several times. We are already debating cutting the number of Max seats due to Autodesk's price hikes.

Nothing would make me happier than buying Corona at work, but I'd have to retrain the staff and it would cut into development time.

AnnieC, my tone might have sounded angry, it wasn't, and apologies if my reply seemed brief. I'm having a horribly busy day full of system problems.

I see. While I absolutely understand the wish for free stuff, you have to understand it's not the norm to expect just because few software houses do it when you don't know what's behind it. Zbrush does that for example, but it's funded by milionaire privately, and has been in red numbers always, they can afford it, some can too, but most companies can't. The approach seems to have adjusted the mentality for most that if you're not making money, you don't need to pay, but that's still outside of reality for most businesses. You can't fault the devs for wishing to sell what they've put the time behind. Doing opposite would be nice( or even crazy) gesture, but, they should not feel ashamed to not conform to this thinking. Nothing is free and the purpose of use doesn't matter in the end.

2014-10-08, 16:14:50
Reply #86

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
All I did was express my wish that there was a version that I would be able to use and that I will be sad when my time with Corona comes to an end.

Is that a crime?

2014-10-08, 16:16:31
Reply #87

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
All I did was express my wish that there was a version that I would be able to use and that I will be sad when my time with Corona comes to an end.

Is that a crime?

No, and no one puts that against you, I think you take it too personally, neither me nor Annie had no intention of doing opposite. But since it's popular notion in the thread I felt I could also offer counter perspective ?
After all it's discussion about prices, from all sides, not just wishes :- )

2014-10-08, 16:21:28
Reply #88

AnnieC

• Active Users
    • View Profile

No problem, hope you can solve the problems.

Back on topic:
I think the developers are reasonable people and they seem to care about their users so if they can find a way to make even better offers they probably will.

2014-10-08, 16:26:35
Reply #89

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You are both right. Apologies. I think I'm having a bad day.