Author Topic: Pricing and release date announced  (Read 192158 times)

2014-10-08, 08:30:05
Reply #45

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you will need to buy 3 licences. You will then be able to run Corona on 12 computers at once, with at most 3 of them being workstations
So in my case, it will be 75 EURO for Corona per month, = 900 EURO per year (for personal/non-commercial use). Or 1350 EURO for the box versions (for year or two, before next upgrade)...
Thanks, but that is too high for me.
Sad news :(

You use 10 computers to render personal/ non-commercial stuff (what's the electricity bill like)?

Anyway, I personally think that this "fair SaaS" model is just awesome, it's f*ing 20 euro that's like a dinner for in a average restaurant, plus you get daily builds, that aren't just bugfixes etc. but you get major upgrades whenever they are ready. So you always use most recent technology (if development goes as good and fast how it was until now) AND it is fantastic way for continuous support for corona development.

And the moment it starts stagnating you can easily switch to box version until some news starts showing up.

However, for a small company there should be a possibility to buy some extra render nodes i guess.

2014-10-08, 08:30:33
Reply #46

AdamHotovy

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Corona Heisenberg
    • View Profile
    • Corona Renderer
you will need to buy 3 licences. You will then be able to run Corona on 12 computers at once, with at most 3 of them being workstations
So in my case, it will be 75 EURO for Corona per month, = 900 EURO per year (for personal/non-commercial use). Or 1350 EURO for the box versions (for year or two, before next upgrade)...
Thanks, but that is too high for me.
Sad news :(
How much you would have to pay with v-ray? Can you calculate that? I do have a feeling that they offer 1 render node for free with you license. But we will look into individual nodes issue.
I like turtles.

2014-10-08, 08:57:53
Reply #47

Lucutus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • a+m
First of all thank you for releasing the licensing and pricing. For me it seems to be quite fair.
I like the idea of overthinking traditional licensing. I guess it will take some time until people get used to new ways.
Here in our company the SaaS System will work fine....even with the render nodes.
But maybe you should think of selling rendernodes bundles too. It would make the whole system more flexible without giving up the idea of your fair SaaS.

Now the only decision we have to make here  is...how many licences do we need ;)

greetz

Lucutus

2014-10-08, 10:20:16
Reply #48

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Free 3D Trees, Plants, 2 People
I hope that price will be rather 200-250 Euro for Box license and 40-50 Euro for 1-year subscription.
Your prices are not bad - but 349 Euro is only for limited time...after this it will be over 400 Euro.
I hope You will think about 1 year support for BOX licenses:) Or You should give us more information about subscriptions - especially price :)
But i think that many people (me too) are happy with this price. It's good price but not very good (i think that BOX license for 349 EURO witth 1-year subscription for 50 Euro is good deal).

2014-10-08, 10:34:59
Reply #49

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think prices should be simply "good" for both sides. If they get very good for users, they can go to bad for developers, and if they get very good for developers, they can go bad for users. Non the less, you can always buy Vray, right? :)

2014-10-08, 10:56:15
Reply #50

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
I'm OK to pay for this new first version, but you told about these evolutions :

Full Featured Interactive Rendering
    SSSR – Sub Surface Scattering Revolution
    GGX Microfacet Model
    New Corona Scatter
    New Blend Material
    New UHD Cache for Animations
    Speed improvements: approximately 25%

What about :
- A real region render as VRay Frame buffer
- Real caustics in the PT/HD mode, not with Bdir/VCM witch is a soooo long and noisy mode...

Maybe other developments, as I know ?
Thanks for your work...
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2014-10-08, 11:14:34
Reply #51

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Free 3D Trees, Plants, 2 People
I think prices should be simply "good" for both sides. If they get very good for users, they can go to bad for developers, and if they get very good for developers, they can go bad for users. Non the less, you can always buy Vray, right? :)
Yes, i always ca buy Vray but my company already have many licenses of vray (especially for animation) and as i know Corona is not able to calculate fast GI for animation...That's reason why 2 software are able to live in one company - Vray for anims, and Corona for stills. My company probably will have no problem to pay 5-6 box licenses of Corona:) And for me (individual user of Corona making commercial jobs) price is not VERY GOOD just GOOD :) But i still hope about 1-year subscription (and maybe 2-3 updates in this 1 year subscription time).
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 11:38:11 by hrisek »

2014-10-08, 11:15:29
Reply #52

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I'm trying to think in a long term logic, and it just doesn´t add up. The pricing scheme seems quite short sighted in my opinion...

I've been using my render engine for the last 7 years, and I would be continuing to do it if Corona didn't show up. I'm talking about a 7 year period as an example of a long term professional relationship with a tool I use everyday. The licensing and pricing strategy you are proposing gives me these two options:

A - Fair Saas. Or in other words; the longer I use Corona Render, the more expensive it gets. Think about 7 years and do the math....
B - Box license. In order to cut costs in a long term, I have to put up with a crippled NO UPDATES version, for the next year? two years?... until the next major upgrade comes and pay again (hope at least you have a discount in mind...).

In this second case, there's another catch... I buy my box license in January and have 90 days of grace with updates. Any user that buys his license six months later will have a better and more improved version at the same price I paid...

In order to make it appealing for long term use, you're really going to have to nail it with the subscription price for the updates and a discount for the major upgrades.

Otherwise, I just don't see it guys... :(

2014-10-08, 11:19:06
Reply #53

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think prices should be simply "good" for both sides. If they get very good for users, they can go to bad for developers, and if they get very good for developers, they can go bad for users.

True. Maintaining development, support and investing devtime in new host apps takes a considerable amount of time and money. Staying in business forces you to pay for a lot of things upfront.

The disappointment you see here is very probably fed by the free availability of the plugin for a long time and the continuous 'we won't hurt you' mantra, which was maybe repeated too often and led to naive assumptions.

Non the less, you can always buy Vray, right? :)

I'm not sure you're aware of this but once the people here become your customers, this kind of response is the last thing they'd like to read.

2014-10-08, 11:27:03
Reply #54

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I'm not sure you're aware of this but once the people here become your customers, this kind of response is the last thing they'd like to read.

They will never be my customers. I don't have anything to do with the company. I am just pointing out that considering other renderers on the market, even those almost no one uses (like Maxwell), Corona prices are VERY reasonable.

Given the performance and feature set Corona has, prices could have been easily set to match Vray. Less people would buy, but they would pay more, so in the end, it could end up being as profitable, but with significantly less people to support. I think current pricing actually shows that Corona staff doesn't just think about themselves, but us users as well. So i do not get why there are so many people complaining

2014-10-08, 11:35:29
Reply #55

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
In this second case, there's another catch... I buy my box license in January and have 90 days of grace with updates. Any user that buys his license six months later will have a better and more improved version at the same price I paid...

I've been thinking about exact same thing! I too was wondering if it would be unfair for users who supported Corona by buying it earlier, when users who buy it for same price later get more polished version. There's something to that, but you also need to keep in mind that person, who bout Corona 3 months earlier, has been able to use it for those 3 months longer, prior to the second person. So the first person was able to use Corona to generate commercial profit for a longer time.

Same way, if person A buys Corona first, and person B a year later, then person B gets newer and more polished version, but person A was able to use Corona for entire year already, and generate profit using it.

2014-10-08, 11:39:48
Reply #56

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This topic was always going to create lively debate.

I am impressed that this conversation is being had out in the open. No other companies would be doing this, and the Corona team should be commended for this.

2014-10-08, 11:40:53
Reply #57

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This topic was always going to create lively debate.

I am impressed that this conversation is being had out in the open. No other companies would be doing this, and the Corona team should be commended for this.

YESSSS! what he said
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2014-10-08, 11:41:29
Reply #58

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I'm trying to think in a long term logic, and it just doesn´t add up. The pricing scheme seems quite short sighted in my opinion...

I've been using my render engine for the last 7 years, and I would be continuing to do it if Corona didn't show up. I'm talking about a 7 year period as an example of a long term professional relationship with a tool I use everyday. The licensing and pricing strategy you are proposing gives me these two options:

A - Fair Saas. Or in other words; the longer I use Corona Render, the more expensive it gets. Think about 7 years and do the math....
B - Box license. In order to cut costs in a long term, I have to put up with a crippled NO UPDATES version, for the next year? two years?... until the next major upgrade comes and pay again (hope at least you have a discount in mind...).

In order to make it appealing for long term use, you're really going to have to nail it with the subscription price for the updates and a discount for the major upgrades.

Otherwise, I just don't see it guys... :(

in 7 years you won't pay for the same corona as you do now, you get always most recent updates etc.. And if you think that current version is good enough for you to go for years with it, then get box version if it sounds to you as better price/value ratio but why complain about not having updates.

I think it's pretty simple, it is a choice between having always most recent corona(fair SaaS) or having no restriction stable standard(box version) where the first choice is also much better for development.

If you would want non-restricted license also with continuous updates, then the development in order to profit would have to restrict major upgrades to corona to appear only in certain versions so that they motivate you to do another box buy and this would imho cripple the development process.

2014-10-08, 11:43:54
Reply #59

rampally

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm OK to pay for this new first version, but you told about these evolutions :

Full Featured Interactive Rendering
    SSSR – Sub Surface Scattering Revolution
    GGX Microfacet Model
    New Corona Scatter
    New Blend Material
    New UHD Cache for Animations
    Speed improvements: approximately 25%

What about :
- A real region render as VRay Frame buffer
- Real caustics in the PT/HD mode, not with Bdir/VCM witch is a soooo long and noisy mode...

Maybe other developments, as I know ?
Thanks for your work...
No one is answering this ......can any one answer???