Author Topic: Realistic sand/powder  (Read 1474 times)

2023-01-11, 12:23:14

Ben Kagiki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey team,

I would like to have very realistic powder or sand and have animal footprints in the sand. Image is to be viewed very upclose

How should i go about this. I read in this forum of a post dated 2017 suggesting using actual geometry to replicate the particles.

I have attached a jpeg of the how i intended the sand/powder to look

2023-01-11, 12:31:55
Reply #1

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
a small fine displacement and bump mapping, with coloured grains as diffuse should do this relatively easy i think

2023-01-11, 12:46:33
Reply #2

Ben Kagiki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
When you propose coloured grains you mean i use actual geometry?

Do you mean small amout like 0.2 by fine displacement or?

2023-01-11, 13:54:05
Reply #3

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
Hey team,

I would like to have very realistic powder or sand and have animal footprints in the sand. Image is to be viewed very upclose

How should i go about this. I read in this forum of a post dated 2017 suggesting using actual geometry to replicate the particles.

I have attached a jpeg of the how i intended the sand/powder to look

I would go with forest pack and a mask
MAYBEJENSEN I Working on something I  Ryzen 3950x / RTX 3080

2023-01-11, 17:41:47
Reply #4

Ben Kagiki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
im a c4d user and i believe that plugin only applies to 3ds max..would that be similar to forester plugin

2023-01-11, 20:16:54
Reply #5

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"When you propose coloured grains you mean i use actual geometry?"

no geometry, i mean a bitmap texture for color, and another bitmap for the ultra fine displacement

(dont use noise this tends not to work good with very fine details)

2023-01-11, 20:17:52
Reply #6

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It will depend a lot on how closely you will see this texture. Look for PBR textures, to see from afar it's perfect. If you are going to take a close-up, replicate some grains with the Corona Scatter over the sand texture.

2023-01-12, 19:20:10
Reply #7

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Mograph Cloner and generate more clones on top of other clones. Maybe that might help you in this case. There is a very nice sand material in Cosmos.

How will you make the footprints? Displacement? Object Deformer?

2023-01-13, 13:47:23
Reply #8

Ben Kagiki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"When you propose coloured grains you mean i use actual geometry?"

no geometry, i mean a bitmap texture for color, and another bitmap for the ultra fine displacement

(dont use noise this tends not to work good with very fine details)
Thank you Stefan, will work on it today.. basically i need a very good bitmap with ultra fine detail

2023-01-13, 13:49:16
Reply #9

Ben Kagiki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It will depend a lot on how closely you will see this texture. Look for PBR textures, to see from afar it's perfect. If you are going to take a close-up, replicate some grains with the Corona Scatter over the sand texture.
Its very closeup,will try using two bitmaps as Stefan suggested but i also like the idea of scattering over a texture. i will attempt both to see how each yields

2023-01-13, 13:54:00
Reply #10

Ben Kagiki

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Mograph Cloner and generate more clones on top of other clones. Maybe that might help you in this case. There is a very nice sand material in Cosmos.

How will you make the footprints? Displacement? Object Deformer?
The footprints was the second part of my question.. im thinking displacement using the decal would be easier..what would you propose

2023-01-15, 00:29:48
Reply #11

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes displacement, maybe even in c4d via the displacement modifier (using corona displacement for the fine sand grain).
for sand grain see to use/make a 8k texture or more

2023-01-15, 01:18:29
Reply #12

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In addition to the displacement sand texture, I might scatter some tiny stones over the sand to add to the effect.