Author Topic: Better rig but 4x slower render.  (Read 4029 times)

2022-02-26, 06:20:53

yashicagoyal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, I just built a new rig:
CPU: Intel i7-12700K
MoBo: MSI Pro Z690P
16GB x 2 DDR4 3200Mhz RAM
SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PLUS
RTX 3060 EAGLE OC 12GB
NOCTUA NH-u12S CHROMAX BLACK

and I have my old rig:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 1950X
MSI X399 SLI PLUS
RAM 8GB x 4 DDR4 2400Mhz
SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo
HDD: 4TB Seagate
GTX 1060 6GT OCV2
CM Master Liquid ML240L

Not 1 thing in the new rig is worse than my old rig and yet, the same scene, renders(same passes, same resolution, everything same) in 4:03:42 while the old rig is rendering it in 00:51:52. Old rig is a combination of SSD and HDD(assets are in HDD) while the new rig has only 1 SSD and everything is on it.

Newer CPU's 1 core, 2 core, 4 Core, 8 Core, 64 Core, all the benchmarks are better than that of my old rig.
Newer RAM is faster.
Newer graphic faster is a lot better(Although this has nothing to do in rendering)

I am using the same 3ds max 2016 to test the same scene.

What gives? :(
« Last Edit: 2022-02-26, 06:52:12 by yashicagoyal »

2022-02-27, 17:39:29
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
According to the Corona Benchmark results, the 12700K comes in at 53 seconds (https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/results/cpu/12700K) and the Ryzen at 57 seconds (https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/results/cpu/1950X) - can you post what results your machines give on the Benchmark? This will remove anything like "something unusual in the scene" etc.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-03-09, 14:04:52
Reply #2

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Which version of windows are you using?

For these new Intel CPUs you need to be using Windows 11. Windows 10 doesn't have full support for them.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-03-10, 11:03:46
Reply #3

yashicagoyal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Right. I upgraded to Windows 11 and the benchmark score was 00:00:01:05. It's a lot better now. How can I get close to that 53 second mark? Are there other factors also involved? I am assuming overclocking is 1 factor but I don't want to go down that road. Is there anything else that I can do to get the speed up while not risking the hardware?

2022-03-10, 11:44:24
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You should never look at the topmost results in the benchmark, those speeds are not sustainable in everyday work. Usually they are there for record chasing and are achieved with extreme overclocking. Your score of 01:05 sits about in the middle of all submisions for that particular CPU, which is normal. If you have good cooling and your temps sits pretty low, then you can do some overclocking to squeze more performance, otherwise i'd suggest not to stress about it too much, it looks like your PC is working normally and that's what matters most.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-03-10, 14:22:41
Reply #5

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
I would also recommend updating to the latest BIOS. We have a i9-1200k in the office and the performance was improved with the latest BIOS.

A word of warning, only update it if you are comfortable doing it. I don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-03-10, 20:04:20
Reply #6

Börje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does anybody know if an update to Win 11 would also improve performance on a threadripper-system?
I'm using an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor @ 2.90 GHz.

Regards

Börje

2022-03-11, 06:11:46
Reply #7

yashicagoyal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You should never look at the topmost results in the benchmark, those speeds are not sustainable in everyday work. Usually they are there for record chasing and are achieved with extreme overclocking. Your score of 01:05 sits about in the middle of all submisions for that particular CPU, which is normal. If you have good cooling and your temps sits pretty low, then you can do some overclocking to squeze more performance, otherwise i'd suggest not to stress about it too much, it looks like your PC is working normally and that's what matters most.

I understand.

On Corona forums, obviously, people only talk about the render time, and rightly so because only professionals are here and they model on another PC and render on the other one. But for college folks, who can't afford multiple PCs. We have to take care of 3Ds MAX's requirements too. AFAIK, Corona takes full advantage of multicore but 3ds max doesn't. It needs higher speed /core.  That's what is putting us in a fix. I have to make another rig for my friend because of the enormous work our college has given us. We searched a lot but we're unable to see a guide or help around the internet to find the sweet spot. We need faster cores AND more cores.

We searched around for the most recommended CPUs(attached is the rough Excel figures which I made containing their single core and multicore speed for Max and Corona along with their prices.) and we're thinking of getting i9-12900K this time on a MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 with RTX 3060(really high prices of GPUs here). 5950x looks a tad bit better than 12900K for corona but it looks a lot worse for 3ds max because of low single core speed. Do you think you point us to a direction where we can get on a sweet spot to get the best bang for the buck?

I know this is completely off-topic now but just trying my luck here!