Author Topic: 3ds Max 2015 features  (Read 24075 times)

2014-10-22, 18:23:54
Reply #15

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone experience a freeze (lag?) at viewport navigation start, in max 2015?
Everytime I stard a orbit/pan/zoom move, I have to wait one or two seconds before it begins to move. I have a gtx 780 so it's pretty powerful.
Any suggestion?
Thank you.

2014-10-22, 18:52:38
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
IT'SO F******** MISERABLE.

Man, what the hell, I mean, 2014 was so good right ?

It's the IDIOTIC LAYER MANAGER merged with scene states that's absolutely unusable for architectural scenes. Is it cool if you have 200 objects ? Absolutely, work almost like Onion manager, but the moment you have 2000+ objects,
it's not possible to do shit with it. It does exactly what you say, have small freeze/lag. When you close it, it gets better, but not even close to as good as 2014 was performance was.

It's shame, because the other new features like placement tool are godly but overall, horrible.

I am seriously keeping 2014, this is not worth to look at. Even with SP2 it's horrible, fucking horrible.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-22, 19:08:25
Reply #17

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I'm kind of happy and kind of sad that my 3rd post in this thread more or less came true.

YES, 2015 is horrible - especially the layer manager (our  studio is not using 2015 mostly because of THIS!). I always ask myself if someone (of all those people doing demos at autodesk) has actually really used it - I seriously doubt it.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-10-22, 19:24:22
Reply #18

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ooh, bad news. I'm not alone then.
Thank you for your answers.

2014-10-22, 22:46:15
Reply #19

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It does exactly what you say, have small freeze/lag.

Are you using a 3dconnexion device?
I'm afraid it could be the cause, I'm checking right now.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-22, 22:50:27 by boumay »

2014-10-22, 22:59:49
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

It does exactly what you say, have small freeze/lag.

Are you using a 3dconnexion device?
I'm afraid it could be the cause, I'm checking right now.

I used to, but it did the very same thing :- D I never found a way how to configure drivers to make 3D Connexion work good in anything other than simple scene in 3dsMax.

Shame because I love it but I don't have patience to search the retarded Logitech forums (I hate them so much, I hate the company too).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-22, 23:03:46
Reply #21

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bad news for 3dconnexion users here!
The cause of the freeze/lag at the begining of the viewport move is caused by the 3dconnexion device! I removed it and the problem is gone.
I really hope 3dconnexion company do something for max users because the problem is old since many max versions and they didn't fix that.
If anyone has a workaround or a clue...

2014-10-22, 23:49:38
Reply #22

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's a shame. I pointed it out to them and got a pretty pointless non-response. I love my navigator, but that lag when you start moving kills it.

2014-10-23, 09:31:24
Reply #23

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Layer manager in 2015 indeed sucks. But other than that, i am very happy with 2015 due to the hardware hit testing. It's a huge improvement. In 2014 and earlier versions, when you have scene with lots of polys and many high poly objects, selection feedback starts to slow down, and it can come all the way to situation where there's several seconds delay between mouse click, and object getting selected.

In 2015, with hardware hit testing, selection is instant, regardless of how complex the scene is. So i can finally work with car models supplied by manufacturer, which usually have about 5+ millions poly, since they are converted nurbs.

2014-10-23, 10:16:10
Reply #24

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The cause of the freeze/lag at the begining of the viewport move is caused by the 3dconnexion device! I removed it and the problem is gone.
I really hope 3dconnexion company do something for max users because the problem is old since many max versions and they didn't fix that.

I believe that initial lag when you want to move with 3d mouse is caused when you are in "complex scene" or have some heavy models and before you start moving the 3d mouse needs to find a rotation center (I only experienced this lag in some heavier interior scenes)

However the solution is pretty simple, just switch in 3dconnexion menu (advanced) rotation center from "auto" to "use selected item"
Then if you have anything selected you will have no lag at all cause rotation center is already there.

Anyways, try to download latest drivers. I haven't had this problem for a long time even using auto mode in complex scenes recently.

2014-10-23, 12:03:07
Reply #25

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I believe that initial lag when you want to move with 3d mouse is caused when you are in "complex scene" or have some heavy models and before you start moving the 3d mouse needs to find a rotation center (I only experienced this lag in some heavier interior scenes)

However the solution is pretty simple, just switch in 3dconnexion menu (advanced) rotation center from "auto" to "use selected item"
Then if you have anything selected you will have no lag at all cause rotation center is already there.

Anyways, try to download latest drivers. I haven't had this problem for a long time even using auto mode in complex scenes recently.

Thank you for your input. Yes the problem occurs when the poly count rises to high level, perhaps from 2 millions, or so, I'm not sure. But the fact is that we work with more complex scènes nowadays and hitting 2 millions polys is very easy, and working with 10 or more is also common. So that's a problem.
I'll try your tip of deselecting auto, I always have use selected item anyway, but sometimes I enable auto, so we'll see that.

2014-10-24, 05:11:06
Reply #26

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can try CTRL + middle button click when pointing on an object, this wil target the rotation center,even if you have another object selected, hope this can help.
I love my 3d mouse too, but drivers are a shame.

2014-10-24, 13:08:50
Reply #27

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can try CTRL + middle button click when pointing on an object, this wil target the rotation center,even if you have another object selected, hope this can help.
I love my 3d mouse too, but drivers are a shame.
Thank you for the tip! :)

2015-01-28, 11:13:24
Reply #28

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
IT'SO F******** MISERABLE.

Man, what the hell, I mean, 2014 was so good right ?

It's the IDIOTIC LAYER MANAGER merged with scene states that's absolutely unusable for architectural scenes. Is it cool if you have 200 objects ? Absolutely, work almost like Onion manager, but the moment you have 2000+ objects,
it's not possible to do shit with it. It does exactly what you say, have small freeze/lag. When you close it, it gets better, but not even close to as good as 2014 was performance was.

It's shame, because the other new features like placement tool are godly but overall, horrible.

I am seriously keeping 2014, this is not worth to look at. Even with SP2 it's horrible, fucking horrible.

Dead-thread but will post here too in case someone stumbles here:

Hi, probably you found that out already and it is just me who made that "big new discovery" just yesterday )) but here is small ini setting http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/3ds-Max-2015-Scene-explorer-find-toolbar-is-extremely-slow.html that reverts object selection to an oldschool one and makes using max 2015 a lot easier. Well at least for me object selection is fast and usable again and selecting over 9000 objects is once again a possible operation

2015-01-29, 06:43:58
Reply #29

boumay

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you antanas for your worrying about others! Very useful.