Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 12975 times)

2020-06-24, 16:26:48

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, can anyone help me find a monitor, I have a budget of $1500 USD?

I don't even know where to start.

Thank you.

2020-06-24, 18:21:16
Reply #1

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
LG Ultrafine 5K. Approx. 1400,-, EUR
But with WIN it does "only" show 4K, as far as I remember from Linus´ Tech talk.
OSX spits out the full 5K.

2020-06-25, 04:03:57
Reply #2

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would want a 32” 27” seems small

2020-06-25, 11:49:08
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-06-25, 13:56:45
Reply #4

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/photographer/sw320.html

Or the similar BenQ PD3220 is worth considering - https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/designer/pd3220u.html - depending which connections you have available. I've got the 27" version and have been super impressed.

2020-06-25, 16:04:11
Reply #5

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you for your responses.

What's the difference between the PD series and the SW series?

2020-06-26, 00:43:39
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Here are results from Google on Comparison between PD320 & SW3220U

2020-06-26, 11:38:24
Reply #7

djstevanovic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you considered 2 monitors option? I have 2 of those and im super satisfied

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG278Q/

I think you can buy 2 for 1500$

2020-06-28, 15:35:26
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
LG Ultrafine 5K. Approx. 1400,-, EUR
But with WIN it does "only" show 4K, as far as I remember from Linus´ Tech talk.
OSX spits out the full 5K.

It works in 5k, with full brightness control & color gamut options from Windows under very specific scenario:

- Latest RTX Cards from nVidia, which support DSC (Bandwidth compression) in DisplayPort. Then you can a) either use USB-C 3.1gen2 (Thunderbolt cable will not work), and that USB-C is the VirtualLink originally meant for VR headsets. Or use DisplayPort 1.4 cable directly. Then it's best to force-install (using command line for example) Bootcamp drivers. When Linus did his video (and others), this workflow didn't exist yet.

This is fantastic monitor, the only mainstream monitor with 500 Nits and full wide-gamut coverage. But it's only 27", so small for you (small for me too).

Using this same way btw, it's possible to use Apple XDR Display Pro in full 6k/60Hz/10bit on Windows 10. Not many people know of this hack :- ). 100perc. functional.

Have you considered 2 monitors option? I have 2 of those and im super satisfied
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG278Q/

I would highly suggest against. Tis is TN panel, it has generally poor contrast, color gamut coverage, viewing angles. Visually the worst technology of all available (TN, VA(AMVA), PLS, IPS(AHVA), OLED), but with fast refresh rates, so cheaper gaming monitors still use it (higher end gaming monitors either use IPS or VA, IPS being fastest, VA having best contrast).

For color-critical work like CGI, only IPS panels (or OLED) should be used. VA has much better color contrast, but poor viewing angles and worse color gamut that can change across brightness levels.

SW series is higher-end model with hardware calibration and true 10bit (instead of  8bit+FRC) (3D LUT stored in OSD, works on top of software profiles).
PD Series is more than good enough for color-critical work that isn't in professional grading/print sphere.

PD3220U is probably the best "prosumer" (Pro/Consumer) 1k Euro monitor, before it jumps to 2k+ Euro like SW series, 3-4k like NEC/Eizo (or 6k like Apple XDR).

I am personally using PD3200U, which is predecessor to 3220U. From my experience (I have 5 of them), they have great factory calibration (but only sRGB and P3 are calibrated, but those are the ones you will use in CGI).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-06-28, 15:41:04
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh yes, for PD vs SW series, this guy (he is BenQ ambassador) does fantastic explanation:

When it comes to monitors, only watch people like him, RtRatings or HDTV Test. These are people who understand everything about color calibrated workflow and professional displays (whether TV or Monitors), so it's not like the youtube celebrities with "Oh it has beautiful colors! Shiny & Bright!" :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-06-29, 00:13:24
Reply #10

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What’s the difference between PD3200 and 3220, besides for usb-c and design?

Is it worth waiting for it and spending more?

2020-06-29, 01:29:46
Reply #11

djstevanovic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would highly suggest against. Tis is TN panel, it has generally poor contrast, color gamut coverage, viewing angles. Visually the worst technology of all available (TN, VA(AMVA), PLS, IPS(AHVA), OLED), but with fast refresh rates, so cheaper gaming monitors still use it (higher end gaming monitors either use IPS or VA, IPS being fastest, VA having best contrast).

For color-critical work like CGI, only IPS panels (or OLED) should be used. VA has much better color contrast, but poor viewing angles and worse color gamut that can change across brightness levels.

Sorry Juraj, copied wrong link, ofcourse tn is not good, i ment 2 x https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG279Q/

When i tried dual monitor, i cant work on anything else, just one day im gonna change them for 2x32" 4k ips

Your suggestion is better for sure, if 1 monitor is enough.

Regards,
Djordje

2020-06-29, 11:21:15
Reply #12

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio

See the two above posts from Juraj, watch the video...

2020-06-29, 18:44:11
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

See the two above posts from Juraj, watch the video...

He is asking about former and current model :- ) The video is about two current models.

You answered yourself mostly correctly Gewiz90 though. It's indeed USB-C and cleaner design (slimmer and flush aligned bezels) mainly, but it also comes with wider gamut. PD3200 tops at sRGB, the 3220 already has very good P3 coverage.
It also has HDR, but of course, with under 400 Nits and edge lighting, it's more of gimmick. It got bit more up-market compared to PD3200, which originally started at 900 euro +/- and that got lot cheaper. 3220 is more pricier.

I can also note, that both LG and Dell also use this panel (It's LG IPS, 3200 had AU panel, hence also the change from true 32" to 31.5") in their respective monitors ( Dell U3219Q and LG 32UL950-W ). Dell being the cheapest of all three, LG most expensive. Now the LG might have the best screen (despite all sharing the same underlying panel), but it also has a lot of QC issues, mainly the backlighting and uniformity. It also has worst out of factory calibration of the three.
BenQ positioning the 3220 into their 'creative' line does seem to make it a safer bet. Dell is generally also good.

2020-06-29, 18:50:39
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

When i tried dual monitor, i cant work on anything else, just one day im gonna change them for 2x32" 4k ips

Djordje

Oh yeah, absolutely, go for multi-monitor if you can. I use 2x32" + vertical 24".  I need one being centered, I found only two off-axis to be somewhat odd and unergonomic. I am also not fan of the vertical 16:9 display, I wish there was like 21" 3:2, that would be glorious. But no such display exists :- (.
Then I could do 32" in middle, plus two 3:2 vertically on sides.

That is much better display. I would suggest everyone to go for 4K already at this point, at 27" it looks just right in terms of PPI. At 32" it looks bit..eh. I wish there were more 6k panels like the Apple XDR...just not for 6k pricetag.