Author Topic: Curvature Map  (Read 19352 times)

2019-03-15, 07:38:10
Reply #15

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Isn't curvature map local to the object only?
SairesArt,
The Curvature map in Redshift works very similar to AO map in Corona except it by default finds the edges rather than the occlusion.
You can choose to find convex or concave edges, and you can also choose for the object to be affected only by itself or by other objects as well. Same as corona AO.

The good thing about it is that since Redshift has one single map for AO and one for Curvature, making worn convex edges or any other usage in this regard super easy, instead of struggling with a Map that is not intended for such usage.

does this solve the issue?

Not really.
The 3ds Max Data channel doesn't really cut it in this regard, because it has almost zero options. For instance, using a noise map to vary the thickness of the edges and what not is not possible, so its only a very limited workaround at best. 

I hope the Corona team will consider making a a separate map for curvature, its very needed for bigger possibilities when mapping objects. In combination with AO and Triplanar this increases the possibilities greatly and make the mapping process a lot easier...THe map option could be very similar to Corona AO, except finding convex and concave edges instead. With options to only do concave or convex or both, include other object or not to the equation and the ability to use a map or number to depict the radius and the strength.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-15, 16:37:03 by JoachimArt »

2019-03-15, 07:57:57
Reply #16

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Agree wholeheartedly with all that Joachim said. AO is not a valid replacement, Data Channel isn't either as setting up a modifier has obvious shortcomings compared to a shading approach.

Only thing worth adding is that a curvature map should also offer a 'flat' option in addition to convex/concave.

2019-12-07, 14:53:47
Reply #17

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Any chance this will be added in the roadmap for Corona 6? I saw it was added as a feature for Corona 5 in Trello, bud sadly it was removed again. I really hope this feature will be added to the roadmap again!

2019-12-07, 17:19:58
Reply #18

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What about using OSL ? OSL was supposed to be the easy programmable solution for almost any problem.

Maybe there's already a shader for that.

2019-12-07, 17:34:08
Reply #19

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not everyone has access to OSL in 3ds max. Besides Corona's own curvature map would be very useful in standalone and also for transfering scenes to other DCC programs.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-12-07, 17:35:03
Reply #20

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
From my knowledge there's no such map is OSL which gives you a clean curvature map easily. Which one of the materials that come with max did you have in mind? Also most of the OSL maps don't work with corona.
THe only best solution I know of so far, is using the Corona AO map, which doesn't do a great job, its hard to tweak and its scale dependent, so if you change the size of the object you need to re-tweak the values, and its very hard to get clean hard curvature map with it, such as worn edges. Data channel also can extrapolate the curvature, but again very hard to work with. In Redshift the curvature map is a simple map you slap on and choose size and falloff + the ability to add a map for noise and such. It takes a second to add, this is what I wish for :)

2019-12-07, 18:10:19
Reply #21

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Which one of the materials that come with max did you have in mind?

I have no idea, I haven't worked with OSL maps yet, but I read this discussion:
https://polycount.com/discussion/200320/3dsmax-new-2019-osl-shaders-for-edge-wear-and-curvature-map

2019-12-07, 18:39:56
Reply #22

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Yes I've tried what they are suggesting, it doesnt make it any easier than Corona AO unfortunately. So not a viable solution IMO

2019-12-07, 20:06:28
Reply #23

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OSL in Max unfortunately can't do it, no tracing or mesh query capabilities...

2022-01-14, 21:14:07
Reply #24

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
will be added
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-01-14, 21:59:34
Reply #25

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
So happy to hear that! I'm using Corona AO 80% for curvature, and it's not very predictable for that purpose. You guys rule! :)

2022-01-14, 22:05:38
Reply #26

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
already in daily builds but currently hidden, it needs UI finishing
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)