Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Bug Reporting

Huge bug - double rendertimes with black backdrop

<< < (3/3)

maru:
Here is one test, Corona 11 HF1. The scene looks fairly simple, but it has lots of objects and takes over 20 GB while rendering.
The one with black direct override actually rendered a bit faster. Other than that, the stats are almost the same (rays/s).

dj_buckley:

--- Quote from: maru on 2024-02-26, 15:56:54 ---Here is one test, Corona 11 HF1. The scene looks fairly simple, but it has lots of objects and takes over 20 GB while rendering.
The one with black direct override actually rendered a bit faster. Other than that, the stats are almost the same (rays/s).

--- End quote ---

What's it like using noise threshold instead?  Also 20GB is small :)  The example I posted used over 120GB

Also could it be the massively overexposed sky causing the other one to render slower?

maru:
I could reproduce the issue when using the noise limit. It was discussed here and Romullus correctly explained what is going on: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34688.0
With a black background, there is more contrast in the scene, so even if you render the scene to the same quality, the reported noise level will be different.
I agree that this is problematic since the same noise limit value should guarantee more or less the same quality. Using a black background override is a common workflow, for example when replacing background in post.

As a workaround, I would suggest using the noise limit with an additional pass and/or time limit. For example, you can set your noise limit to 2%, but you may not want to render your frame for more than 1 hour or 200 passes.

We do have this reported internally.
(Internal ID=1310588860)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version