Author Topic: Globaly disable Glossines  (Read 9802 times)

2013-01-22, 23:24:09

Oltskul

• Active Users
  • "Whoa, that is lot of boxes!" Adam West
    • View Profile
Hi,

one little button, which will globaly override all glossines to 1 and disables all maps in "reflection glossines" slots.. And also exclude..

for example: If you want to test material on one object.

Please do not confuse with material override :)

Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-23, 08:38:47
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I don't understand. If you want to test material on one object, then why don't you use material override? Non-blurry reflections will just get in the way.

2013-01-23, 09:22:12
Reply #2

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or, setup a separate scene with hdri and some custom lights to set up a material. Corona renders that kind of scene instantly so you have all the flexibility and speed you might need for material creation.

Even if it would require some additional adjustments in final scene, it will be much less tweaking... no?..

2013-01-23, 09:40:37
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I am really trying to understand the problem. I know Vray has this toggle. but i can't wrap my head around why, except for optimization purposes. But in corona, blurry reflections probably won't render any slower than sharp ones.

If you have a scene, where you need to preview and tweak a material on a single object, it makes sense that you would want to disable reflections on everything except that object in order to get rid of surrounding distractions. But if you keep reflections there, just make them all perfectly sharp, they will still remain there to be a distraction.

2013-01-23, 11:55:38
Reply #4

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK OK..

it is for performance purposes. If I am doing previews, and do not want to wait like 10minutes for "not-too-noisy" image, then i would like to switch off all glossines.

And global reflection would be awesome too.

In Corona they render at the same speed maybe, but i takes looonger to converge to the aformentioned "not-too-noisy" image.

note to myself: do not think when tired :)
Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-23, 13:12:58
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Are you sure about that? Try to make some comparisons of noise level between glossy and sharp reflections. Not that i do not believe you, but i never did such a comparison myself, so results could be interesting.

2013-01-23, 13:32:48
Reply #6

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK OK...  but give me like 6 hours to get to corona :)

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-23, 19:50:33
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It seems logical that it would take more time to produce clear glossy reflection, but I'm curious about the tests...
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-01-24, 00:44:07
Reply #8

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
*yawn*

test complete... I almost forgot... 2minute each, glossiness 0.0, 0.5 and 1.0..

see ya tomorow!

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-24, 01:05:51
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I don't see much use for such override (although it would be possible to implement), so I would prefer not to do it, to keep both UI and code simple. The difference in the images is nowhere near dramatic.

PS: you should buy new computer instead ;) 400k rays/s is waaay too low, in such simple scene you should be able to get about 8M/s with i7
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-01-24, 10:03:49
Reply #10

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
those test suprised mi a little bit, but on the other hand they didnt as i was thinking about them before the tests..
It is all about Ray per second..
And if you look at non reflecting objects (empty sphere and teapot on the stand), they are both noisy in roughly same way.. But it suprised me, that reflection is noisy in same rate.. That was that suprise..

It would be pointless to implement it - but nice placebo :)

AD ps: jeah, this would be awesome, but there is problem with my bugdet :D

Anyway my PC is maybe HW broken. Because this scene started on ~1,3M rps and ended at shown rps. Or it is just computational way? Or is this logycal conclusion, becase CPU have "more and more to worry about" - parsing more and more pixels to VFB? I have to do another longer test if the value stops, or it contuiniues to drop to some ridiculously low number.

HaND Olt

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-24, 12:17:40
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Higher glossiness makes renders more noisy. What a strange renderer. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-01-24, 14:15:52
Reply #12

iliyang

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Of course it makes it noisier! Diffuse transport is the easiest to render. What you see in the bottom images are complex specular-diffuse-specular paths that are difficult for the renderer (I assume bidirectional path tracing has been used here). One option would be to discard such paths. This would mean that you'll be missing reflections of caustics.

2013-01-24, 15:17:52
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

Of course it makes it noisier! Diffuse transport is the easiest to render. What you see in the bottom images are complex specular-diffuse-specular paths that are difficult for the renderer (I assume bidirectional path tracing has been used here). One option would be to discard such paths. This would mean that you'll be missing reflections of caustics.

Sure, but if you are using some, ehm... other renderers, that can only do lambertian BRDF with irradiance caching, and rest with very slow path tracing, then glossy specular is the most difficult mode ;) (SDS gets clamped, vray does only E(S*|D)D*L anyway)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-01-24, 15:22:02
Reply #14

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I still can't see why you'd want one material to be as is, but others to have glossiness at 1.0, you've utterly lost me.