Author Topic: The new Corona Converter feedback thread  (Read 64665 times)

2021-07-08, 02:25:42
Reply #60

kanyno

• Active Users
    • View Profile
some materials are converted with refraction at 1! For now the Rc has disappointed me. I hope the final version of Corona 7 is good.

2021-07-08, 10:37:09
Reply #61

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@kanyno, it would be much more useful if you could send a scene with offending materials to the team. https://corona-renderer.com/upload
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-07-08, 11:14:19
Reply #62

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Also are you in the talks with major texture providers such as Quixel, Poliigon. They both have plugins for importing textures and both don't work at the moment. Getting materials as pure glass or with 99 bump and so on.

We are in touch with them and reporting such issues regularly. I think the 99 bump issue is already fixed on their side and this should be available in the newest version of the exporter, or at least it is being worked on.

As to your previous report about the Archmodels 251 scene:

1) The appearance of the material changes (some features of the material become invisible):
For example, the cracks are becoming invisible - this is because they are fully refractive in the original material.
Please understand that if the original material was constructed in a highly un-physical / fake manner, then it may not be possible to recreate it with the Physical Material. The converter tries to keep similar appearance, but that is not always possible.
In this case it seems like keeping the Legacy Mtl may be the best solution.

2) Generating Mix nodes on top of Mix nodes:
This is actually related to point 1. The converter tries to keep similar appearance, and since the material is set up in a "tricky" way (using diffuse color, reflection map, glossiness map, IOR map, opacity map,....) for a simple asphalt material, it becomes problematic.

I am afraid this may be a case of "the converter cannot fix what was originally broken".

But still, we have this logged and will see if there is a way to keep better appearance and simpler shader networks (can't promise anything though).

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-07-08, 12:51:28
Reply #63

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
some materials are converted with refraction at 1! For now the Rc has disappointed me. I hope the final version of Corona 7 is good.

Hello kanyno, thank you very much for your feedback. If the original materials do not use refraction and the converted materials become refractive, this is indeed a problem, but as romullus already mentioned, we are not able to fix this issue unless we have the scene available. Please, would you be so kind and send us the scene in question? We'd like to have a look at it and to try to fix / improve Corona Converter accordingly.

2021-07-09, 15:38:41
Reply #64

dumbrava.traian

• Users
    • View Profile
Does anyone have problems with Forest pack and Corona 7 RC 5? when i try with corona-7-3dsmax-daily-2021-06-03 work good but with Corona 7 RC 5 i think with the new converter desen't even start the render if i have a forestpack obj on the scene

2021-07-09, 16:54:11
Reply #65

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Does anyone have problems with Forest pack and Corona 7 RC 5? when i try with corona-7-3dsmax-daily-2021-06-03 work good but with Corona 7 RC 5 i think with the new converter desen't even start the render if i have a forestpack obj on the scene
Hi,

Pleas only post your questions in one place on the forum. I have replied to you in the daily builds thread.

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-07-14, 16:23:55
Reply #66

Kris H

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We are losing (3dsmax) Material Id Chanel after conversion. Corona Legacy Mtl with id channel = 1 always converted with mtl ID channel = 0. So I lost my mtl channels in materials for postproduction in my scene.
Corona G-Buffer ID override works fine.
Fixed in RC6 :)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us
Send me your scene

2021-07-14, 16:24:17
Reply #67

Kris H

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Convert by class in corona converter v1.45 does not convert 3Ds Max Physical Material (compile error: Unexpected end-of-script).

I am still on Corona 6 hotfix 2 in 3Ds Max 2022, has this already been fixed, or is this a known bug?
Fixed in RC6 :)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us
Send me your scene

2021-07-14, 22:48:08
Reply #68

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

RC5

Again the same tree test. Thanks, this time render result is closer to original, but the shader structure is still messy. Sorry, but I can't see the logic in this Mix map chaos, even simple opacity map from original material became two mix maps (original bitmap + CoronaColor?) plugged in to Front/Back map. Actually all simple bitmaps are converted to Mix maps - original bitmap + CoronaColor with no affect of CoronaColor map in those mixes... This structure is very difficult to handle which makes it not usable for further adjustments. It's easier to remake the shader manually from original material, than to handle this mess.

The test scene was uploaded some time ago - 1624024326_converter7-vray-comparison.zip

Hello Bormax, we tried to make some changes in the Corona Converter code to create simpler shading networks when converting VRay2SidedMtl. These changes are included in Corona Converter which is shipping with Corona Renderer 7 RC6. Please let us know whether the shading networks created during conversion now look as expected or whether there is still some room for improvement.

2021-07-15, 10:45:09
Reply #69

Skalpel3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The RC 6 version of the converter constantly badly detects metal / non-metal materials when converting, Very annoying situation, e.g. in the case of many objects, such as books .Link to the scene after converting, original vray materials in the editor  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QV2Bx3_FdbIcoBxPBFkn4r9vbNAEY-mY/view?usp=sharing

2021-07-16, 10:41:01
Reply #70

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
The RC 6 version of the converter constantly badly detects metal / non-metal materials when converting, Very annoying situation, e.g. in the case of many objects, such as books .Link to the scene after converting, original vray materials in the editor  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QV2Bx3_FdbIcoBxPBFkn4r9vbNAEY-mY/view?usp=sharing
I can confirm that. I have decided to test the daily onto a real-life working scene with many trees and guess what - all leaves went as metal.
Until further solution to this, I've decided to use one of the old converters and it's been working fine.
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2021-07-16, 11:52:15
Reply #71

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Could you please send over a scene saved before the conversion has taken place? It's a little difficult to figure out what went wrong if we can't see the original materials.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-07-16, 11:53:19
Reply #72

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I can confirm that. I have decided to test the daily onto a real-life working scene with many trees and guess what - all leaves went as metal.
Until further solution to this, I've decided to use one of the old converters and it's been working fine.
Hi,

Which version of the converter did you test? Would you be able to send over this scene?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-07-16, 16:28:55
Reply #73

Skalpel3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the link to which I linked in the classic material editor there are original vray materials

2021-07-17, 20:08:15
Reply #74

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Bormax, we tried to make some changes in the Corona Converter code to create simpler shading networks when converting VRay2SidedMtl. These changes are included in Corona Converter which is shipping with Corona Renderer 7 RC6. Please let us know whether the shading networks created during conversion now look as expected or whether there is still some room for improvement.

Thank you!
RC7- now the shader tree looks much simpler and reasonable. No more unnecessary Mix maps - that's good :)! (Converter7_vray-corona_mat-structure_RC7.jpg) and rendered result is visually the same as it was with RC5 and close to original look of the shaders (Converter7_vray_original-converted_mat-RC5-7.jpg)
This time material structure is much cleaner for further work with it which is great, now I understand how almost all maps were converted in order to use all aspects of Vray 2sided material within single Corona Physical material using FrontBack maps (Converter7_vray-corona_mat-structure_RC7-1.jpg), but:
1. could you explain, please, the meaning of use maps in Vol. adsorption and Vol. scattering of leaf material and why the map which was used in Vray material to map translucency (Map #11) is used here, not in translucency slot of Corona Physical material (Converter7_vray-corona_mat-structure_RC7-3.jpg)?
2. Why IOR parameter of the trunk material is mapped with some Mix map? Is it the way to imitate mapped reflection parameter of Vray material (Converter7_vray-corona_mat-structure_RC7-4.jpg)? And would be interesting to know about the usage of CoronaColor map with applied Solid HDR color higher than 1 in IOR mapping, like IoR map from this example has.

Also would be interesting to hear what do you think about the way of conversion of Vray 2 sided material which I used in my experience. I used two Corona materials plugged in to Corona Layer material with Corona FrontBack map used as mask. Here is a very quick example of this kind of conversion (Converter7_converted_mat_RC7-layerd_2sided_mat_strc.jpg). Material structure is pretty simple, render results you can see also here (Converter7_vray_original-converted_mat-RC7-layered_mat.jpg and Converter7_converted_mat_RC7-layerd_2sided_mat.jpg)
« Last Edit: 2021-07-17, 20:28:42 by Bormax »