Author Topic: The new Corona Converter feedback thread  (Read 64660 times)

2021-06-17, 14:19:04
Reply #30

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-06-17, 14:33:16
Reply #31

junchien

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it is because of vray version.  corona guys are looking into this.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33513.msg186483#msg186483

Yes, I have seen their reply, wish they could do something for the old version

2021-06-18, 00:07:16
Reply #32

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Done
1622111539_converter6-7-comparison.zip

Bormax I tried to convert the scene you sent us using Corona Converter shipping with Corona Renderer V7 RC1 and the shading network generated during conversion is simpler. In case of this scene, I noticed that there is still a problem with some duplicate nodes being generated during the conversion, which is caused by known bug in one MAXScript function (on 3ds Max side), we are aware of and already trying to fix, however this should have no negative impact on the visual result.

Hi
Thanks for your affords, material tree looks better now. But I've got pretty different visual results comparing pictures with original materials rendered by Vray3.7 and converted ones rendered by Corona Renderer V7 RC1.

2021-06-18, 09:18:51
Reply #33

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Done
1622111539_converter6-7-comparison.zip

Bormax I tried to convert the scene you sent us using Corona Converter shipping with Corona Renderer V7 RC1 and the shading network generated during conversion is simpler. In case of this scene, I noticed that there is still a problem with some duplicate nodes being generated during the conversion, which is caused by known bug in one MAXScript function (on 3ds Max side), we are aware of and already trying to fix, however this should have no negative impact on the visual result.

Hi
Thanks for your affords, material tree looks better now. But I've got pretty different visual results comparing pictures with original materials rendered by Vray3.7 and converted ones rendered by Corona Renderer V7 RC1.

I have some notes regarding your comparisons:
- they actually look similar (but if it could be even better - we are definitely interested in improving)
- you are comparing two scenes with completely different lighting - there are strong reflections visible on the leaves in the Corona version, but also the overall lighting is different - for example you can see the effect of sunlight on the branches too in the Corona version, but in the V-Ray version there is uniform illumination coming only from the sky - the branches are much darker)
- V-Ray 3.7 is a very old version, I am not sure if we can do proper conversion from it

If you can send this problematic scene to us, that would be perfect.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-06-18, 13:38:12
Reply #34

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
it is because of vray version.  corona guys are looking into this.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33513.msg186483#msg186483

Yes, I have seen their reply, wish they could do something for the old version
This should be fixed in RC2 released just a few minutes ago. Please try it out and let me know if you have further issues.

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-06-18, 15:54:20
Reply #35

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have some notes regarding your comparisons:
- they actually look similar (but if it could be even better - we are definitely interested in improving)
- you are comparing two scenes with completely different lighting - there are strong reflections visible on the leaves in the Corona version, but also the overall lighting is different - for example you can see the effect of sunlight on the branches too in the Corona version, but in the V-Ray version there is uniform illumination coming only from the sky - the branches are much darker)
- V-Ray 3.7 is a very old version, I am not sure if we can do proper conversion from it

If you can send this problematic scene to us, that would be perfect.

Hello
Actually scenes are the same, lighting in both scenes are Corona/Vray Sun + Sky in the same position with intensity set to 1.
New pictures are the original Vray scene and the same scene converted by Corona 7 RC2
I've uploaded Vray scene 1624024326_converter7-vray-comparison.zip, so you can try it

2021-06-18, 17:39:02
Reply #36

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sure, we will check the scene, thank you!
And just to explain what I mean, I am attaching a screenshot showing the huge differences in lighting. Or the materials are just very, very different.

2021-06-18, 18:09:41
Reply #37

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And just to explain what I mean, I am attaching a screenshot showing the huge differences in lighting. Or the materials are just very, very different.

Thanks Maru.

But the difference in areas marked by you on pictures unfortunately is matter of texture conversion too. Here is the same Vray scene picture and the only difference here is RGB level parameter of trunk diffuse map - it's raised to 4. As you can see shadows look about the same because they are just more noticeable now.
Next question is about Converter - why converted scene looks so different? (I know, the original Vray picture looks not really nice, but it's not about the beauty of this image :))

2021-06-21, 03:51:59
Reply #38

FixelFakes

• Users
    • View Profile
We are losing (3dsmax) Material Id Chanel after conversion. Corona Legacy Mtl with id channel = 1 always converted with mtl ID channel = 0. So I lost my mtl channels in materials for postproduction in my scene.
Corona G-Buffer ID override works fine.

2021-06-21, 12:57:37
Reply #39

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We are losing (3dsmax) Material Id Chanel after conversion. Corona Legacy Mtl with id channel = 1 always converted with mtl ID channel = 0. So I lost my mtl channels in materials for postproduction in my scene.

Hello FixelFakes, thank you very much for your feedback. Please, is this something which used to work as expected in previous versions of Corona Converter and only stopped working in the latest versions?
« Last Edit: 2021-06-21, 13:03:47 by selene »

2021-06-21, 17:18:35
Reply #40

FixelFakes

• Users
    • View Profile
Good question.
I can confirm that the old converter used material ID Channel from VrayMtl. So Corona(Legacy) Mtl got Mtl ID from Vray mtl in the old converter.
But new converter doesn't get Mtl ID from CoronaLegacyMtl or VrayMtl.

2021-06-21, 17:38:48
Reply #41

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile

Reported and passed on to the devs for further investigation, thanks :)

(Report ID=CRMAX-717)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-06-22, 15:57:42
Reply #42

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Thanks Maru.

But the difference in areas marked by you on pictures unfortunately is matter of texture conversion too. Here is the same Vray scene picture and the only difference here is RGB level parameter of trunk diffuse map - it's raised to 4. As you can see shadows look about the same because they are just more noticeable now.
Next question is about Converter - why converted scene looks so different? (I know, the original Vray picture looks not really nice, but it's not about the beauty of this image :))

Thanks for sending the scene, I confirm that the converted materials are significantly different. We will see if we can improve the conversion. Stay tuned...

(Report ID=CRMAX-725)
« Last Edit: 2021-06-23, 09:58:57 by maru »

2021-06-25, 12:38:12
Reply #43

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Convert by class in corona converter v1.45 does not convert 3Ds Max Physical Material (compile error: Unexpected end-of-script).

I am still on Corona 6 hotfix 2 in 3Ds Max 2022, has this already been fixed, or is this a known bug?

2021-06-27, 00:14:45
Reply #44

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Took me bit of time to test the converter, but I finally did (RC3) and it's just weird :- ). And wrong imho. I would love to see some ruleset behind it to understand what is supposed to happen and why.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!