Author Topic: The new Corona Converter feedback thread  (Read 64676 times)

2021-07-01, 12:03:44
Reply #45

vtrdo

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

we are struggling in several cases ( RC4 )

1st  - more than half of the materials are converted incorrectly .. our old library/models ( Evermotion 85 - palm trees (vray)  for instance ) for most of the leafs its converted as metal material.. this is no problem to change .. just letting you know its happening - basically in every convert - when using old converter - pre 7 it as nearly errorless
      - also is most of the time incorrectly convert the 2 sided Vray materials - way to dark and glossy 
      - and preview of conversion into Physical.Mtl does some strange transparency ...

2nd much more crucial - on most of the models ( Vray 5 installed ) this error appears.. so I have to manually re-make affected materials ( basically all below the first affected )

I can send you a sample scene, if helpfull

many thanks

2021-07-01, 15:26:19
Reply #46

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi guys

1st  - more than half of the materials are converted incorrectly .. our old library/models ( Evermotion 85 - palm trees (vray)  for instance ) for most of the leafs its converted as metal material.. this is no problem to change .. just letting you know its happening - basically in every convert - when using old converter - pre 7 it as nearly errorless
      - also is most of the time incorrectly convert the 2 sided Vray materials - way to dark and glossy 
      - and preview of conversion into Physical.Mtl does some strange transparency ...

2nd much more crucial - on most of the models ( Vray 5 installed ) this error appears.. so I have to manually re-make affected materials ( basically all below the first affected )

many thanks

Hi,

The 2nd issue we know about and already have a fix in the pipeline, if everything goes well it will be in RC5.

The other issues are a bit more tricky to solve, would you be able to send through some simple examples for each and we will see what can be done.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-07-01, 20:17:41
Reply #47

vtrdo

• Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

The 2nd issue we know about and already have a fix in the pipeline, if everything goes well it will be in RC5.

The other issues are a bit more tricky to solve, would you be able to send through some simple examples for each and we will see what can be done.

Cheers,

Rowan

Hello Rowen

Thank for reply , and good news on the horizon

For the other topics .. here is a small example ... in the material editor you can find problems with 2sided materials and also the strange preview.

https://we.tl/t-6dKJDyJF7o

many thanks

2021-07-02, 14:53:13
Reply #48

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Convert by class in corona converter v1.45 does not convert 3Ds Max Physical Material (compile error: Unexpected end-of-script).

I am still on Corona 6 hotfix 2 in 3Ds Max 2022, has this already been fixed, or is this a known bug?

Hello Bjoershol! Thank you very much for your feedback! We weren't aware of this problem and we'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

2021-07-02, 16:39:27
Reply #49

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

many thanks
The 2nd issue is fixed in RC5. Please can you install it and let me know if you still have issues?

Cheers!
Send me your scene!

2021-07-02, 18:08:34
Reply #50

vtrdo

• Users
    • View Profile

The 2nd issue is fixed in RC5. Please can you install it and let me know if you still have issues?

Cheers!

IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM..MANY THANKS

2021-07-04, 10:02:19
Reply #51

mos2787

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

I intended to use the Corona Converter tool  mainly to convert Vray materials into Corona materials. But I always get a mess (so many unecessary nodes) and the result is not convincing. Eventually, I end up making the conversion manually which is very time consuming.

Did the corona team plan to make major improvements in this field ?

Thanks !

2021-07-04, 20:54:06
Reply #52

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Which version of the Converter are you using, and can you give some examples of the V-Ray materials going in, and the end result that you consider has too many nodes? Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-07-05, 10:44:54
Reply #53

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

RC5

Again the same tree test. Thanks, this time render result is closer to original, but the shader structure is still messy. Sorry, but I can't see the logic in this Mix map chaos, even simple opacity map from original material became two mix maps (original bitmap + CoronaColor?) plugged in to Front/Back map. Actually all simple bitmaps are converted to Mix maps - original bitmap + CoronaColor with no affect of CoronaColor map in those mixes... This structure is very difficult to handle which makes it not usable for further adjustments. It's easier to remake the shader manually from original material, than to handle this mess.

The test scene was uploaded some time ago - 1624024326_converter7-vray-comparison.zip

2021-07-05, 17:09:57
Reply #54

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Once again June has passed and I don't feel we are even remotely close to the V7 release. The converter is making even the simple conversion from the Legacy material a complete mess. Mixes on top of mixes on top of mixes. If you think people will go through their entire libraries and will have to set up everything manually you got it absolutely wrong.
Stop checking stupid marks from your Trello map that are once again NOT FINISHED [ pink areal perspective] and actually fix this release hopefully before the end of the year.

P.S. Invisible material after conversion too.

Well, could you at least provide a sample scene?

Hi

RC5

Again the same tree test. Thanks, this time render result is closer to original, but the shader structure is still messy. Sorry, but I can't see the logic in this Mix map chaos, even simple opacity map from original material became two mix maps (original bitmap + CoronaColor?) plugged in to Front/Back map. Actually all simple bitmaps are converted to Mix maps - original bitmap + CoronaColor with no affect of CoronaColor map in those mixes... This structure is very difficult to handle which makes it not usable for further adjustments. It's easier to remake the shader manually from original material, than to handle this mess.

The test scene was uploaded some time ago - 1624024326_converter7-vray-comparison.zip

Thanks, we will look into this and hopefully there is still room for optimization.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-07-06, 21:58:09
Reply #55

sdhollman

• Users
    • View Profile
I was wondering if there could be a feature added to the Corona Converter. The studio I work at uses Corona to render all of our animation jobs. Our pipeline uses the default Max camera, we usually need to export cameras to Nuke, and we have not had success with exporting Corona cameras. To solve this we use Max cameras in animation, then add the Corona Camera modifier to those cameras for lighting and rendering. It would be great if in the converter there was an option to convert Max cameras to Corona cameras.

I am not sure if there is a technical limitation to this being a feature. Just thought I would be great to have.

Thanks,
Steven

2021-07-07, 10:24:03
Reply #56

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
P.S. Also coronadistance refuses to get into any map slot if the converter was used on the material. Only solution is to create a new material with it.
I wasn't able to reproduce this, can you provide an example please?

Cheers.
Send me your scene!

2021-07-07, 10:27:40
Reply #57

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I was wondering if there could be a feature added to the Corona Converter. The studio I work at uses Corona to render all of our animation jobs. Our pipeline uses the default Max camera, we usually need to export cameras to Nuke, and we have not had success with exporting Corona cameras. To solve this we use Max cameras in animation, then add the Corona Camera modifier to those cameras for lighting and rendering. It would be great if in the converter there was an option to convert Max cameras to Corona cameras.

I am not sure if there is a technical limitation to this being a feature. Just thought I would be great to have.

Thanks,
Steven
Hi,

Thanks for the request, I have logged it in our system :)

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-07-07, 11:20:40
Reply #58

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Open Archmodels vol. 251 on the Evermotion website download the free sample and be amazed how the scene works just fine and when you convert it, all goes to hell.
Also, I am not sure why I am even bothering writing about how you are gonna release V7 with a material library only half-converted and when using the converter on the other half the materials are broken with spaghetti mixes and look nothing like they should.

P.S. Also coronadistance refuses to get into any map slot if the converter was used on the material. Only solution is to create a new material with it.

Thank you, reproduced. I will log it for a review and hopefully we can improve similar cases. We would greatly appreciate providing examples like this when something is not working as expected.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-07-07, 20:12:11
Reply #59

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

I intended to use the Corona Converter tool  mainly to convert Vray materials into Corona materials. But I always get a mess (so many unecessary nodes) and the result is not convincing. Eventually, I end up making the conversion manually which is very time consuming.

Did the corona team plan to make major improvements in this field ?

Thanks !

Hello mos2787, thank you very much for your feedback. Please do you use the latest Release Candidate of Corona 7? Over the last couple of "Release Candidate releases", we tried to address the issues you mention. Also, please could you provide us the scene in question?  We'd like to have a look at it and to try to improve Corona Converter accordingly.