Author Topic: HDcache  (Read 6300 times)

2012-10-26, 19:00:00

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if bug or if it's already either known or normal thing for HD cache to work this way. It seems it's a "russian roulette" each time I press render the area light either passes through the glass or it won't (did only a 10 minute test max and it doesn't seem to change). Default settings(+hd cache max records-8000). pt+pt looks okay(without that spot)...

2012-10-26, 19:37:28
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I thinks it's a matter of some "threshold". But don't know which one. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-10-26, 20:19:11
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
HDcache sampling is quite random, so sometimes it might hit the light source, while other times it won't. Especially when real glass is the case, because rays branch even further as they pass through the glass. You can increase HD cache sampling accuracy by increasing PT samples value in HD cache settings, and you can increase HD cache samples density by increasing positional sensitivity parameter.

2012-10-26, 20:39:51
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Is the glass onesided or twosided?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-10-26, 21:10:55
Reply #4

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No it was not, I was using a solid object so I left it at onesided. I understand that some thresholds could cause some leaks in hdcache, however it still looks weird cause it was either going through and was refining progressively or it did not get through at all and was not appearing after a while so I was just thinking it might be a bug or somethin. I thought that maybe corona was having problems with the geometry of glass having edges at the same place as walls so I've made the glass object significantly smaller and again, I press render the spot from area is there, stop press again, it's gone... again and it's there..  I need to build some simple test scene to get to know what's all the settings in hdcache about, cause it looks i'm missing something quite important there :D....

2012-10-26, 21:14:26
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, can you share the scene?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-10-26, 21:23:06
Reply #6

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I haven't saved it.... I'll rebuild it to try and reproduce the situation, just give me a second..(one more thing, don't know if it's already listed but if I have opened a scene and I click new scene then in max2012 64bit corona legacy build alpha v3 default settings of corona gets screwed(values etc are non default and i have to quit and start max again to get corona to defaults)).
« Last Edit: 2012-10-26, 21:31:33 by lacilaci »

2012-10-26, 21:57:10
Reply #7

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, I can't reproduce it. Must have been some random stuff going on there cause now it seems to be working the same each render with the same settings.... Sorry to bother

2012-10-26, 22:01:29
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I haven't saved it.... I'll rebuild it to try and reproduce the situation, just give me a second..(one more thing, don't know if it's already listed but if I have opened a scene and I click new scene then in max2012 64bit corona legacy build alpha v3 default settings of corona gets screwed(values etc are non default and i have to quit and start max again to get corona to defaults)).
yeah, this one is known ;)

2012-10-26, 23:24:05
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For me, loading scanline as active renderer and then loading corona again without restarting whole max works just fine.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-10-27, 15:40:11
Reply #10

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile