Author Topic: Sweet free 3D scans pack  (Read 13452 times)

2016-05-06, 21:36:28

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
A collection of various completely free 3D scans:
http://threedscans.com/
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-05-06, 22:53:07
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I can't wait for the russian community to decorate some modern eclectic livingroom with bunch of these :- )

But those are all really nice. I expected bunch of vegetables :- D (seems to be the latest obsession)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-07, 13:28:44
Reply #2

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Many thanks, this is a goldmine. Upcoming Russian home from me, great to have these there. "All scans can be downloaded and used without copyright restrictions." Awesome
[semi_offtopic]
I have done a great deal of photogrammetry lately, it saved my goddamn bacon, as I needed these ceiling reliefs. Only needs a cheap ass camera and exporting a displacement map from the highpoly result is really nice. And rather fast. Can't recommend it enough for similar stuff.
[/semi_offtopic]
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-05-07, 17:39:22
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Nice result. I used to use Autodesk 123d Catch for photogrametry, but lately their service greatly degraded. I think i have to try something else. How much time it takes for average i7 to calculate points and to build mesh for such relatively simple object like your example?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-05-07, 18:26:20
Reply #4

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Just absolute retard levels of Detail! And all geometry too.
The site is bad as a Library, so I rebuild it into a well managed structure.
Proper credits and rights given, download it here: http://www.saires.de/server/Three-D-Scans_Library.7z
Compressed from 5.76gb to 2.33gb, kinda baffles me how such well compressible data was not compressed. Server space is expensive.
Included thumbnails and dimensions file for quick look through and grab. Included quick 3dsMax tutorial for .stl files.

Nice result. I used to use Autodesk 123d Catch for photogrametry, but lately their service greatly degraded. I think i have to try something else. How much time it takes for average i7 to calculate points and to build mesh for such relatively simple object like your example?
I tried 123d Catch some years ago, but the experience is meh. You don't exactly have means to correct errors and it resulted in much post time needed in 3dsMax. Nothing compares to the quality of Photoscan and the price seems fair.
My rig has a fx 8350 and a gtx 770. So I'm just below the power of an i7, yet point generation on max quality is ~20-25 minutes, but it can be scaled down to 10 without perceived loss in quality. The graphics card only speeds up a single operation: Depth calculation, but surprisingly halfs the time during that phase.
Mesh building takes another 15 minutes.
Mesh building nom noms the most RAM, but I never broke my 16gb limit and always on highest quality.

Obviously I did 30cm models and it was not room scale, so your mileage may vary. To that comes ~5-10 minutes of cleaning the point cloud by hand, so that the mesh is not messed up, as cleaning the point cloud is vastly easier than cleaning a mesh. And lastly 30secs for 4k textures.

Be aware though, that the models have dirty geometry and aweful UVs, even with well chosen projection settings. It works great for still renders and adjusting texture color and contrast. But if you wanna draw textures by hand you will have to UV unwrap, which with the messy geometry can be quite the hassle. But for Wood kitty and the ceiling relief, just perfect.
PS: used the free APP xNormal to bake displacement and normal map.

edit: Makes me remember The game: the vanishing of Ethan carter, where the dev basicly Photogrammetried the whole game. http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/
« Last Edit: 2016-05-07, 22:59:50 by SairesArt »

2016-05-07, 20:53:40
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Those times are not bad at all, i was expected it to be several hours. With 123d it sometimes takes longer just to upload pictures and lately whole upload - process cycle tends to stuck and needs to be repeated several times. I guess it's time to download Memento beta and give it a try.

As for unwrapping - i usually do full retopo anyway, so i couldn't care less about shitty UVs that comes with scanned models.

2016-05-08, 10:56:04
Reply #6

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
As for unwrapping - i usually do full retopo anyway, so i couldn't care less about shitty UVs that comes with scanned models.
I always viewed retopo as too much work for static models. What workflow do you have? Is simple retopo possible in like 10 minutes?

2016-05-08, 11:06:29
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, it is. In Zbrush it's a matter of pressing one button basically. Of course if you want topology suitable for animation, then you have to build it by hand, but that's another story.

2016-05-09, 18:48:10
Reply #8

Edvinas

• Active Users
  • CGI artist with architectural background
    • View Profile
    • Bloorise
Looks like somebody heard all the prayers and scanned some vegetables and food. Free models: http://www.blankrepository.com/
® Bloorise
Behance: https://behance.com/bloorise

2016-05-10, 00:13:53
Reply #9

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Looks like somebody heard all the prayers and scanned some vegetables and food. Free models: http://www.blankrepository.com/

This is good news, no doubt. I can contribute with a couple of my models.

2016-05-12, 19:00:49
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Original plan to do quick and dirty polycount reduction, somehow turned out into full retopo project. Now i'm thinking to skin it and make it animation ready, although i don't have skinning experience whatsoever. Thanks alot, maru :/

2016-05-12, 19:59:57
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2016-05-13, 03:45:12
Reply #12

marqueso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I played around with one of the models on my lunch break. I dont think any of the 3d scans have textures but that didnt stop me from overdoing the AO shaders :)  I thought for a 15 minute study corona's magic really shines

« Last Edit: 2016-05-13, 03:50:09 by marqueso »

2016-05-13, 08:01:14
Reply #13

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I thought for a 15 minute study corona's magic really shines
That is some nice like looking crab :D
And no, no textures on any of the models.

2016-05-13, 13:57:01
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I played around with one of the models on my lunch break. I dont think any of the 3d scans have textures but that didnt stop me from overdoing the AO shaders :)  I thought for a 15 minute study corona's magic really shines
Now you can bake these with 1.4. :)