Author Topic: After Windows update Max UI reset and can't be saved  (Read 1488 times)

2019-02-02, 19:24:28

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
During last half of year I have the same kind of problems after some Windows updates - Max UI reset to defaults, all custom settings reset, user external paths reset either.
Ok, I have saved to files UI settings and normally I was not happy, but was able to get my settings back. Last Windows update reset Max UI again, but this time I can't get back part of my settings. I mean I can restore them, but after I close Max they get back to default ones.
Did you guys have same kind of problems?

2019-02-02, 22:23:15
Reply #1

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
I spent a bunch of time on google seeing if anyone else was having these sort of issues and I thought it was just me! Since the last windows update I am now able to set default apps (Wasn't able to do this for 2 months). But as you mentioned a bunch of settings seems to be set to something that you CAN NOT change.

3ds Max:
Incremental increased are not set to 1" increments (was 0.1").
Import/Export always jumps to some random folder on my backup drive.

Photoshop:
Every time I use the perspective warp tool the tooltips come up.

Substance Designer:
Doesn't matter what resolution I set on the startup, the documents always end up being 4k

Marvelous Designer:
Home screen always shows even after checking the don't show on startup button multiple times.
It also also loads the same project, so i have to clear the avatar and garments.

2019-02-03, 10:35:53
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I spent a bunch of time on google seeing if anyone else was having these sort of issues and I thought it was just me!

You are not alone :)
I've just restore Windows to the point before last update and now everything works well as it was. I've done restoring because of this problem before, and every time I see notification about Windows update I start to think - What this time will be broken?... Pretty annoying. And it's clearly connected with Windows updates, because nothing else changed on my working computer

2019-02-03, 11:02:10
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For a few versions, 2012-2016 or so, I made it a habit to change privileges on the 3ds max folder to read/write for all users. Not doing so would sometimes prevent user settings to be saved correctly (which effectively looks like settings were reset).
I still do this to avoid any problems.

Recent Win updates were a desaster. Whoever was responsible for the idea of forced updates deserves a kick in the butt.