Author Topic: Corona a good choice?  (Read 3030 times)

2017-08-15, 20:07:37

Luminaire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I primarily produce rendering for stage shows and trade show environments.  Much of my light comes from projections, and bounce light from lit cycloramas, large LED screens, and spotlights onstage. Lots of bounce light from various lit fabric scenery. I've been using mental ray, but I'm ready for something better.  Would Corona be a good choice?  I have an i7 6950x w/64 GB ram & an nVidia 1080.

« Last Edit: 2017-08-15, 20:42:06 by Luminaire »

2017-08-15, 20:16:37
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Comming from mental Ray myself, I would definitely say YES Corona is a god choice. Although mr has much more ways to fake things than Corona, I'm finding it much easier to work with light and interiors in Corona.

2017-08-15, 20:45:27
Reply #2

Luminaire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, & thx.  That's interesting that you would say that.  In my renderings I have to fake almost everything to get the right look.

2017-08-16, 03:22:57
Reply #3

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Your going to like the switch. I came from the MR world and Corona is so much easier to achieve an effect. Real or not. (your 6950X will smoke the IR feature!)
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2017-08-16, 09:00:58
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I probably won't contribute much to the topic, but i just wanted to say that IMHO everything is better than Mental Ray. I have worked for serious only with 3 rendering engines: Brazil->MR->Corona and i can say that switching from Brazil was very slow and painfull experience with multiple fallbacks. However switching to Corona happened overnight and i never looked back. Not even once :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-08-16, 09:53:26
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You won't regret it, in fact you're going to be happy to leave behind the abominable thing that mental ray is.

The only thing is that rendering volumetric spots can't be faked in the same way you can do with some of the older engines. You'll have to either render true volumetrics which can slow down rendering a bit (but still deliver fantastic results) or use some fakes like illuminated cone objects in the light's spot direction that need some special attention. I'd say test this and see how it works for you.
But you'll be much closer to photorealism right from the start and probably way faster than with mental ray, in regards to both rendertimes and turnarounds/lookdev with interactive rendering.

2017-08-16, 11:33:05
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding volumetric spots, Corona does actually support standard lights using volume light effect. Used it myself with God results :)

2017-08-16, 14:08:12
Reply #7

Lucutus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • a+m
I came from MR directly myself, and i loved Corona from the beginning. Especially when u spend a lot of time for tweaking your light and material u will be impressed by the speed.
The scene parsing of MR was a real pain in the ass compared to corona. You will spend a lot fewer time waiting for something to happen on your screen ;) .

Im sure u will love it ;)

greetz

Lucutus