Author Topic: This Site is really awesome, FREE realistic PBR material for Corona or other.  (Read 13411 times)

2017-08-02, 00:35:04

Bracer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This Site is really awesome, FREE realistic PBR material for Corona or other renderer.
I just downloaded all the freebies in the site.

Though I have no idea which slot to put the textures in for now.

https://www.poliigon.com/texture/152

Materials from this site comes with:

Diffuse - to be placed inside Corona's Color Slot.

Ambient Occlusion - No idea where to put it, possible only as a second render overlay in Photoshop ?

Gloss - Glossiness Slot ?

Normals - Normal Slot naturally.

Reflection - No Idea which slot.

Guys this site is awesome, check it out, and if anyone of you know which map goes to which slot, please lay it out here so we all know :D

2017-08-02, 06:38:21
Reply #1

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
Diffuse > Diffuse

Ambient Occlusion doesn't need to be used, however you can multiple it or overlay it on the diffuse channel to give more depth.

Gloss > Glossiness

Normal > be sure to plug into a Corona Normal Map, with Poliigon normals youll want to check "Add gamma to input" and "Flip green (Y)"

Reflection > Invert this map an plug it into the reflection slot, in most cases check the reflection map itself. Sometimes they just use a pure color or something with such low contrast you can just leave this map out and set Reflection levels to 1.0

2017-08-02, 06:43:47
Reply #2

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Like you said you can overlay the AO with diffuse to get some finer "shadows" to show up.. and the reflection map, pretty sure if you're doing things the PBR way, you should forget the whole map when working with Corona and leave reflection "strength" to be handled by the glossiness channel. So - reflection strength to 1 and channel to white (right?).

Although I don't really buy all of the fuzz about PBR workflow, maps, and how to use them "properly", be it Poliigon or Megascans. Just make materials that work for you. Overall or just for one specific angle.. take some freedom and excaggerate material properties if it makes things look better :)

2017-08-02, 08:08:50
Reply #3

Bracer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Respond to Jtveclipse12:
Very helpful respond, thank you.
The Normal map can also be nicely integrated by setting Override to 1 while importing.

The Glossiness maps sort of "breaks up the reflection" when placed in Glossiness slot.

Some of the Reflection map [Like the brick] have a lot of details and not just one color but seems to make no difference whatsoever, it seems the Glossiness map is overriding anything that the reflection map might be doing...so I have no idea what it does and by the way, why the need to invert it, looking at the brick reflection map, inverting it would make the line reflective and that makes no sense, I guess the gist is putting ANYTHING to the reflection slot at all makes no sense to me.

Respond to Vkiuru:
I am agreeing with you that the reflection map seems...at least in Corona...to makes no difference.

2017-08-02, 12:18:37
Reply #4

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Relating to the reflection slot with strength 1/ white as the classic PBR-procedure, I think, (I might be wrong) using maybe >80% white and 20% or less of a reflection map which can be different to the glossines map gives some interesting variation in shimmer. But thats is just my perception it can be some kind of placebo.  Would just be interesting, if anybody can confim this assumption.

2017-08-02, 14:50:11
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Why such rave? can't see anything spectacular about that poliigon thing. Diffuse textures are good but rest of the maps are just derived from those. Can't even come close to quality of scanned stuff like megascans or RDT. Or maybe Op just fell victim of some guru guy's advertising? ;]

Anyway, moving this to general cg discussion board.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-08-02, 17:54:23
Reply #6

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ romullus

You are right it can hardly be compared, many displacement maps had been or are absoluteley wrong. They just converted maps from color to bw but the newer shaders got some extra love.
Stone walls e.g. had been based on good photos but the displacement was a joke and combined with alot of work to fix them, but the mentioned and linked shader works well.

2017-08-04, 12:33:26
Reply #7

Bracer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is a really good tutorial for those who are interested in the whole PBR workflow in Corona:

Anyway, thanks for the info Jtveclipse12 that the reflection map needs to be inverted.

Just one question:
Does the Gloss Map needs to be inverted also when assigned to the "refl. glossiness" section ?

2017-08-04, 14:25:07
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-08-04, 17:34:20
Reply #9

Bracer

• Active Users
    • View Profile