Author Topic: VR video- is there a standard?  (Read 5077 times)

2016-12-18, 16:42:26

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I rendered a 360 over/under sequence with Corona. I converted this to a mov(h264)/mp4.  I use a player called MaxVr and it plays fine on the Rift DK2.
I'm trying to view it on the phone too, but I experience some problems with that. Maybe it's the phone(Acer liquid E79 or something like this- I know this isn't the right device) maybe it's the codec?
I installed a dozen of vr apps. It's either only showing first frame, black or screwed color bars all over place.

Anyway, what would be the best way to share a vr video?(I'm not on facebook- so the fb vr is not an option)

forgive me this stupid question- any advice greatly appreciated...

2016-12-18, 18:22:35
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
no FB fan here also :D
Google is your friend ;)

Watch 360 degree videos in Cardboard

Google Cardboard lets you experience virtual reality in a simple and fun way. With Cardboard and the YouTube mobile app, you can even watch 360 degree videos for an immersive experience.

1.    Get Google Cardboard and assemble it
2.    Open the YouTube app
3.    Go to the 360Video house channel by searching for "#360Video" and visiting the channel. You'll know it's the right one if it has this avatar:
4.    Pick a video on the channel, and start playback
5.    Tap the cardboard icon . You'll notice that the screen splits into two smaller screens
6.    Insert your phone into Cardboard
7.    Look around to view the video in 360 degrees

Youtube Virtual Reality

2016-12-18, 21:33:45
Reply #2

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Google is NOT my friend ;)

I can't get the google cardboard app- it says:'Nah, you got only a shitty acer phone'- so I can't tap the cardboard icon.
I would upload a test but it seems that youtube wants side-by-side, not over/under.
Is there a quick tool to convert this?

But anybody has a clue why all the vr player apps I tried were no good? Maybe it's a simple codec thing? I'm not familiar with android.

2016-12-19, 01:19:47
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
over/under? what are you writing about? are you familiar with the basics?
again it's the user/poster who is the problem & wants no friends :p

The complete guide to virtual reality in 2016 (so far) (Update: February 2016)
enjoy learning :)
« Last Edit: 2016-12-19, 01:23:58 by burnin »

2016-12-19, 11:02:31
Reply #4

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Over/under refers to the placement of the stereo image- so much for the basics.
I rendered over/under( is it possible that there was an option in the cam-mod to choose between side/side and over/under and vanished during 1.5 hotfix?)

The 3d section in youtube only let me select side/side.

2016-12-19, 13:03:00
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
just to clarify, we never had side-by-side switch, only fixed top/bottom for 360 imgs and sidebyside for 6cube and perspective cameras
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-12-19, 13:15:55
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:) thanks Ondra

2016-12-20, 13:52:55
Reply #7

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About stereoscopic-video;
If I would have an interior and I make a 500frame camera walkthru-animation,
Is it possible to render a stereoscopic-animation and watch it on Samsung Gear VR?
So no headtracking but it would show as 3d.

2016-12-20, 14:17:36
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Should be possible with the latest Daily Build, which will produce a side-by-side non-panoramic render (so, no headtracking) - in the CoronaCameraMod just enable Virtual Reality mod (stereo) *without* enabling a Projection type override. This kind of side by side should be viewable as 3D on YouTube, 3D TVs and monitors, etc, and I think should playback / view as stereo with the GearVR though I haven't tested that out yet to see which apps in Oculus would do so - anything that views side by side stereo videos would work though.

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-12-20, 17:34:59
Reply #9

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I managed to convert the overunder using this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-3d/98917-convert-top-bottom-video-side-side.html
But still no luck with all the VR-apps I installed- I guess it's related to the phone. I will upload the test to youtube when the rendering is done.