Author Topic: Recalc Feature  (Read 2212 times)

2021-04-03, 14:32:58

Otuama

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all. 

I'm rendering a jacuzzi (Phoenix).

I put a test render on last night and it was taking 40mins per frame.

To narrow things down I turned off elements - this brought it down to 25min /frame - I had 2 occlusion passes - I may turn 1 back on.

I'm rendering down to 7% - I can't remember exactly the values but by pass 10 it was on 9%.

I then had to wait another 6-8 mins for it to reach pass 15.

When it did it was at 4.3%

Maybe about 5 mins could have been shaved off if the recalc was more often.

I've set it to a recalc of 2 (still with all elements off) - it's now taking 10mins /frame.

I've read up on the forum about not bringing recalc down too much - but unless it causes crashes, I'd much rather have quicker renders  ;)

My question is this:

We're going to be rendering this over our network - 8-9 systems.

I've turned on development mode on my system & set the recalc passes to 2.  Is it system based?  Do I need to go on each system and do the same?

I think I may need to manually turn on development mode but do I also need to set their passes to 2?  Or, is that scene based?

For example, my scene - everyone's recalc would be set to 2..... other scenes, it'd be set to 5

We currently have renders running so I don't want to interrupt them

-----------------------

Something else I've noticed.

Even with recalc set to 2 - the noise level is still 'Unknown' until it reaches pass 5.  Is this an internal Corona thing?

Many thanks

2021-04-05, 14:24:53
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Settings in Devel/Experimental should carry with the scene - only settings in the System Settings are system controlled and not carried with the scene (and, afaik, the checkbox there for enabling Devel/Experimental is simply to show the values in the UI and let you change them; the values in the Devel/Experimental are in fact there in the scene and carried with it whether they are shown in the UI or not, though).

Other things to consider - you could not use Noise as the target, if you have a known number of passes or amount of time after which the render looks good, you can simply use Passes or Time as the target. If all the frames of your animation are similar and all clean up in the same amount of passes/time, you can just use that as the target - if the frames in the animation are very different, and they won't all have reached the same level of cleaning up in the same amount of passes, that's where Noise comes in as the best.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us