Author Topic: NVidia AI Denoiser like the new Vray Next  (Read 8120 times)

2018-05-30, 14:15:58

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This was probably posted already, but Vray now also has the NVidia AI Denoiser. Especially useful for interactive rendering.

2018-05-30, 14:29:48
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, this was requested countless times already and it is planned for future versions :]

https://trello.com/c/81uUhzg6/135-near-interactive-gpu-powered-denoising
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-30, 19:33:03
Reply #2

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you sure you're talking about the same thing Romullus ? AFAIK trello entry is about accelerating denoising after rendering is done - situation when you render for example an animation and denoising takes significant amout of time. NVidia AI Denoiser works real time even when you render RT on the other hand.

2018-05-30, 19:54:30
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It sais near interactive GPU powered denoising, does it really matters if it will be nvidia's solution or some in house tech?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-30, 20:40:57
Reply #4

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is irrelevant whether it will be inhouse or not. Since OP mentions interactive rendering, what matters is wheether it will work while IR or not. I believe trello entry is about post render denoising, not interactive denoising while IR.

2018-05-30, 20:51:00
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
This is my point of vieW: NVidia AI Denoiser is, obviously, a post-processing noise =) :  it takes the rendering (from IR) and it applies a denoise.
Of course, it's much faster than Corona denoise, but less, less accurate.
Corona denoise takes account about a lot of different render elements, while the Nvidia is "only" an AI denoise
Trello is correct, I think =)

2018-05-30, 21:00:10
Reply #6

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I believe OP was requesting the thing visible in around 0:30
But I may well be mistaken.

2018-05-30, 22:04:00
Reply #7

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Exactly! When he stops to move the mouse, the PT calculation stops too and NVidia AI Denoiser starts to work =)
It's post-production denoise, the same concept behind Corona Denoise.
Faster, much faster (and with less quality, I think) than Corona denoise.
In trello, I think they will want to obtain the same AI Denoiser as V-Ray Next has

2018-05-31, 08:19:23
Reply #8

OccultMonk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I mean during Interactive rendering, but I also think it should be combined with rendering at 25% or 50% reduced resolution. So render smaller and then upscale + denoise. This would give almost instant results. When working on a 4K screen the Interactive rendering VFB is quite small when rendering at lower resolutions. Scaling the IR VFB window will increase the render resolution (and render time). Zooming in only shows part of the rendered image. I would like to be able to see the interactive renderer VFB render 2x upscaled. (Or like Adobe AE just options to render at reduced resolution upscaled)

Also since Vray and Corona are apparently one company now, and they say they will share features with each other. Why not just implement the Vray Next NVidia AI denoiser?

2018-05-31, 09:15:21
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not sure what Cecofuli is trying to say at all ;- ).

nVidia denoiser=OptiX=VrayNext Denoiser. Vray was one of the first to integrate it, with some improvements that have since came into OptiX as well (like clamping dynamic range).

"Only AI" - Optix takes into account various internal passes as well, it takes into account even more stuff than Corona, but adds machine based learning on top. Results I've seen are superior if compared at same initial noise level, but it's pretty aggressive and much better used for evaluation than final rendering.
Almost like Corona denoising :- ).
Corona needs between 2-4perc. of Noise to make useful denoising, Optix can create something out of 40perc. noise, it's just unreal. Yes, it's going to look like mushy shit, but mushy shit with correct exposure and shadows. Corona Denoiser at that level will create just blurred noise.

From the Trello, it really isn't clear if the Corona team is looking to improve their own internal algorithm, or integrate the one from nVidia. But just like Vray correctly did, we want both.
As was (nVidia) is clearly superior as help tool during interactive, while other (Corona native) is better as final solution.

Corona team could imho improve their own with machine based learning (like in their presentation from TotalChaos) if they want...but in meantime, I would like the exact implementation of OptiX like VrayNext has.

Corona and Vray have one parent company but they are a bit averse at integrating the same stuff at same time from what I observed in past months. I would expect Vray to get all the stuff a lot earlier, they just like adopting incomplete solutions faster as way to test their usability. Corona team seems to do a lot of internal testing and deciding when or even if they want to integrate something.
I do like the agile approach from Vray a bit now...at least the dailies could have the features like OptiX tested semi-publicly but we're Corona users so :- ).
« Last Edit: 2018-05-31, 09:20:19 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-05-31, 22:17:02
Reply #10

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly - just as Juraj said. That interactive denoising is such a huge thing. You can iterate the general mood in seconds and then finetune shaders etc. not necessarily using the interactive denoiser to see greater detail.

A bit of offtopic.
Juraj - I see you attended Total Chaos - currently Corona Trello roadmap is just ... well a bit of a mess. I can't tell what and wen will be developed which is just fighting with the idea of a roadmap. Was there some general direction presented by the team as to what will be developed in the nearest future ?

2018-05-31, 23:28:30
Reply #11

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
I would bet, there is a follow up coming soon. Corona is our frontier for radical rendering of AEC
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-06-01, 09:48:32
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Exactly - just as Juraj said. That interactive denoising is such a huge thing. You can iterate the general mood in seconds and then finetune shaders etc. not necessarily using the interactive denoiser to see greater detail.

A bit of offtopic.
Juraj - I see you attended Total Chaos - currently Corona Trello roadmap is just ... well a bit of a mess. I can't tell what and wen will be developed which is just fighting with the idea of a roadmap. Was there some general direction presented by the team as to what will be developed in the nearest future ?

I didn't attend Total Chaos :- ) And I can't even answer that question, the devs are very unclear about what gets implemented when. Usually some sort of roadblock comes on and it can be expected year later at least.
Looks to me like the whole office is working on Volumetrics, has been for past year and will be until it's released in June +/- ?

I guess other stuff will get attention afterwards.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-07-02, 15:48:36
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
It sais near interactive GPU powered denoising, does it really matters if it will be nvidia's solution or some in house tech?
it was left purposefully vague until we evaluated the tech

We have this working internally and are just solving logictiscs (the binaries are *huge*, you dont want that in the installer ;)). Moving to resolved, it will hit dailies soon (hopefully)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-07-02, 17:53:36
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
it will hit dailies soon (hopefully)

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us