Author Topic: VRay 3.0 SP1  (Read 37257 times)

2014-12-10, 16:20:28

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Hi

what do you think?

(*) Speed up with opacity map is simply amazing! (O__O)
(*) Random shader very useful!
(*) I miss very much the nice VRay Hair support.
(*) VRay VFB so cool.

« Last Edit: 2014-12-10, 16:29:36 by cecofuli »

2014-12-10, 16:24:55
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The framebuffer is simply fantastic.

Ok, that's some very impressive update overall.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-10, 16:32:34
Reply #2

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what impressed me is the speed up with Ppacity map!

Normal = 50 sec
Stochastic = 33 sec
Clip = 26 sec

It's simple amazing. How is it possible!
I remember my old day, fighting with million trees and the "stupid" opacity map!!!

2014-12-10, 16:40:49
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't know, I haven't had issues with speed with simple cutout maps (leaves) since I did the whole "none" filtering, although it occasionally get stuck when used in more complicated opacity maps for furniture for example.

I am bit wary of new methods since their whole Embree and Probabilistic failure. Embree is unusuable since it disables (without any threshold) every instance, what do I have, 256GB of ram ? It's usable for those who render boxes.
Probabilistic shaves off time...creates visually wrong look (like most of the time completely different intensity), and introduces new noise.

But these new features do look great. Should have come faster, one year for service pack is bit too long.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-12-10, 16:46:48
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
what impressed me is the speed up with Ppacity map!

Normal = 50 sec
Stochastic = 33 sec
Clip = 26 sec

It's simple amazing. How is it possible!
I remember my old day, fighting with million trees and the "stupid" opacity map!!!

Trees are the worst possible scenario of what can happen with opacity maps. It is much easier to find some reserves there, than in clay rendering ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-10, 17:03:27
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj, I remember some of my old test with VRay (opacity, opacity with filtering off and real 3D model leafs). With opacity map, the trees, obviously, are more light. With real 3D leafs the rendering time with VRay was much better. But, when you have to render a forest, cause out of RAM, I had to use opacity. Same in Corona: 3D leafs are better, because with opacity map, Corona is slower. So, you can understand why I'm so shocked! Now, in VRay, you can use opacity map without problems.

Yes Ondra, I know veeery well. And, if you look my old gallery EXAMPLE (entire forest with trees) you can see how many project I did with VRay.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-10, 17:09:47 by cecofuli »

2014-12-10, 17:11:55
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
deleted
« Last Edit: 2014-12-11, 13:04:21 by burnin »

2014-12-10, 17:18:21
Reply #7

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seems to be a nice update!

However this update is acting very weird for me. RT (Both CPU and GPU) won´t work at all, everything is rendering pure black. With some old scenes when rendering through a physical camera everything is black as well haha...

They removed the builds because they didn´t work!

2014-12-10, 17:31:46
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Juraj, I remember some of my old test with VRay (opacity, opacity with filtering off and real 3D model leafs). With opacity map, the trees, obviously, are more light. With real 3D leafs the rendering time with VRay was much better. But, when you have to render a forest, cause out of RAM, I had to use opacity. Same in Corona: 3D leafs are better, because with opacity map, Corona is slower. So, you can understand why I'm so shocked! Now, in VRay, you can use opacity map without problems.

Yes Ondra, I know veeery well. And, if you look my old gallery EXAMPLE (entire forest with trees) you can see how many project I did with VRay.

Off-topic, but, best is both 3D geo and opacity ;- ) Opacity is always must, no geometry can create necessary detail. I use 9-12 polies + opacity= best of both worlds. If you create your geometry so that you use only minimum amount of "black space" from opac map, it speeds up greatly, and the rendering difference, isn't that big at all (30 ~ perc. overhead top).

Lol, what's up with the black rendererings :- D ? Pops up all over my Facebook feed.

2014-12-10, 17:35:21
Reply #9

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lol, what's up with the black rendererings :- D ? Pops up all over my Facebook feed.

I don´t know, something went terribly wrong so they removed the new builds...

I tried rendering and everything was black and geometry had moved and other stuff....so yeah, will have to wait a bit to try the new version :)

2014-12-10, 17:37:26
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
sounds like anti-piracy protection backfiring... I know I will be scared shitless when we release Corona :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-10, 17:41:47
Reply #11

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Every official version you have released so far has worked...so hopefully everything will go fine with the 1.0 release as well... :)

2014-12-10, 17:46:21
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Every official version you have released so far has worked...so hopefully everything will go fine with the 1.0 release as well... :)

That's the problem with probability luck, he should have had some issue by now to be on the safe side :- )

2014-12-10, 17:51:02
Reply #13

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's the problem with probability luck, he should have had some issue by now to be on the safe side :- )

That´s a valid point :), I did not think of that!

2014-12-10, 19:31:19
Reply #14

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That vray clipper feature is great! Would love to have that in corona - would make doing cutaway arch-viz scenes SO much easier.
Vray who?