Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.2%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
31 (6.5%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.6%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
31 (6.5%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
17 (3.5%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.3%)
Speed of rendering improvements
44 (9.2%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
32 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
92 (19.2%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.5%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.8%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.3%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
24 (5%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 184

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 549790 times)

2024-02-20, 15:14:41
Reply #1140

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
In none of those cases does the code come from V-Ray :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-20, 15:23:44
Reply #1141

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im sorry for Over simplify things but corona 12 dont seems that good for 6 months of development

If I were you I would delete your post.
Criticizing programmers without knowing anything about programming or how long each thing takes...Doesn't look good on you honestly.
BTW, your website isn't working.

EDIT: I mean, other than version 7 that had "only" the new PBR material and it took a year from one version to the next...

« Last Edit: 2024-02-20, 15:31:56 by lupaz »

2024-02-20, 21:51:16
Reply #1142

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Hi Lupaz
Hi Tom G, thx for the response, now I'm a little baffled, isn't chaos scatter developed for the two engines ? Does the corona guys need to re write every single line of code when the vray team has it working ? Honest Question!
Lupaz thx for the input man, i will no delete the post, it can answer some questions to someone else about development.
As for the website I'm no longer paying it, so its only behance, I'm working for another company and not doing freelance stuff these days.. you can check my behance here, https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1 I'm not the best but have a bit of experience in the field.
And here I'm working right now https://metricavisuals.com/projects

2024-02-20, 22:04:06
Reply #1143

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Definitely no need to delete the post, I think all questions or concerns are valid, and are learning opportunities :)

Scatter is developed as its own product, so there is no writing code twice, correct. But Corona dev team members are involved in writing that shared core code (along with members from other teams), so when a new Scatter feature emerges, Corona dev time has gone into it. Then there is the unique code for each engine to have it show up in the UI of each engine, but that is indeed a smaller part of things (usually). Anyway, it does mean that the features for Scatter do involve work from folks on our team, which is why we list it as part of the Corona roadmap.

Hope that clarifies! Just means it isn't as simple as "someone else does the work, and we just copy it / write the UI for it" - we are involved in that development process too :)

2024-02-20, 22:08:18
Reply #1144

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As for the website I'm no longer paying it, so its only behance, I'm working for another company and not doing freelance stuff these days.. you can check my behance here, https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1 I'm not the best but have a bit of experience in the field.
And here I'm working right now https://metricavisuals.com/projects

Why not just update your signature with your behance or current link?

Hi Tom G, thx for the response, now I'm a little baffled, isn't chaos scatter developed for the two engines ? Does the corona guys need to re write every single line of code when the vray team has it working ? Honest Question!

The company Chaos purchased Corona. Thats a business decision. From the programming side its completely different, its like comparing a Car to a Mushroom. Sure integrations can be made over time, and I'm sure thats the long term goal. But in order for the Mushroom get some wheels then you need to build it, same with the doors, engine, windows etc.

Its easier for one code base to understand what the other is doing by creating bridges along the way (what is a vray material, how do we convert it etc). But if you think you can just bridge something like the VFB (Frame Buffer) in a simple way, its not very simple at all. Everything needs to be rebuilt for each engine since nothing in vray is corona, and opposite. This is why there is a corona converter script, and other scripts that convert things, because the two engines are not the same, they have different ways of interpreting data, down to the most minute things. So yeah, Im not sure what understanding you have about how software works but this is like thinking if Windows purchased Apple tomorrow you could run all your windows software on Mac because Windows owns it. Not the case.

2024-02-20, 22:15:44
Reply #1145

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
And yep, James is right on the other non-Scatter items. The VFB is indeed unique code for both engines, with different approaches tailored to the different needs of the user base (simplification: the "do everything for everyone" V-Ray, and the "specifically for achviz" Corona). Even with the VFB rework, Corona's VFB will remain distinct and different from V-Rays, by design.

Sometimes code can be shared or borrowed, sometimes algorithms can but need unique code, that can vary.

For curved decals for instance, there will be differences between Corona and V-Ray, which can be seen in the daily build. Corona allows for bending/curving in two axes (and simultaneously), while V-Ray allows for just one. So things are often not as simple as copying code from the other team :)

Hopefully with this, there will be understanding that care and development time has gone into these features as well as others, and so they occupy their own slice of the 6 month development time and are not 5 minute copy-n-paste jobs (to get back to the post that triggered the discussion, not replying to James here who I believe already gets this). Cheers!

2024-02-20, 22:21:10
Reply #1146

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh and that is not to mention that there is ALWAYS unique QA time needed for each engine, even if it was possible to copy code - did it break something else, conflict with something else, does it work as intended? It is rare that implementing a feature, even one done in the sibling engine, is a trivial matter. (EDIT - but it's nice if that ever happens lol!)

2024-02-21, 14:23:25
Reply #1147

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Thx Tom for the answers, a lot is clearer now.

2024-02-21, 16:00:10
Reply #1148

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You are welcome, glad it helped some and hope it was kind of fun too, to take a bit of a peek behind the curtain of what development is like.

2024-03-31, 06:40:32
Reply #1149

zhao liang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to have composition and resolution lock in vray camera

2024-03-31, 18:44:39
Reply #1150

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to have composition and resolution lock in vray camera

Hi,

Do you mean per-camera resolution (composition) lock (and other options I suppose) for CoronaCamera?
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us