Author Topic: Getting sharp projected images from textured lights  (Read 3059 times)

2017-01-26, 23:37:29

somedoggy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm trying to use a light source to project an image into my scene. You can see in this picture that while my light has a directionality of 1 and the source image is high quality, the projection on the wall is blurry far beyond expectation.

Pushing the light source closer to the wall produces sharper images, but this does not make sense for lights with a directionality of 1 which intuitively should act like a perfect laser (projecting a perfectly sharp image through a vacuum, forever, and not obeying inverse square). In reality a laser can produce a sharper images even at this distance (a few meters) and, obviously, such an ideal scenario is not even required to produce sharp images. You can see this for yourself in movie theaters.

This is making it hard to model a virtual projector, something I need for my scene which pushes for purely practical effects in a digital environment. Has anyone been able to accomplish something like this? Any info or pointers on errors I may have made?

Apologies if this is a dupe of previous threads. A cursory search yielded nothing and I have spent most of my time looking at the documentation.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-26, 23:49:05 by somedoggy »

2017-01-27, 10:53:56
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Use max's photometric lights for that. Corona's light with high directionality will give you unreasonably high amount of noise and you'll never get perfectly sharp projector map out of it.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-01-28, 16:17:15
Reply #2

somedoggy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks! I'll give that a try :)

Edit:

Could you share your setup? I cannot replicate your projection.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-28, 16:41:39 by somedoggy »

2017-01-28, 19:09:45
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just create photometric light, go to its advanced effects rollout, enable projector map and load a bitmap in it. That's it, nothing more is needed.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures