Author Topic: CPUs with 64+ cores  (Read 3073 times)

2016-07-04, 18:15:52

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is anyone knows how Corona utilises more than 64 cores as there is more than one Processor Group in Windows. I remember than VRay had a problem with this. I want to buy 18-core dual CPU Xeon want to use all of them in Corona. Is there any issues with it?

2016-07-04, 18:23:20
Reply #1

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
This is currently a major problem, apparently. There is another thread on this over here:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12018.0.html

We are buying the latest V4 generation 2697A processors, which are 64-thread (16-core), to hopefully avoid the problem. They should also offer more or less identical rendering performance, and maybe even slightly better workstation performance due to higher clock...

Perhaps best to continue the discussion in that other thread.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-07-04, 18:27:38
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
As Alex pointed, good to read and continue discussion in that thread.

But, none of the issues affect rendering performance (one does partially but that is bit different). Corona utilizes all the available cores. So does Vray in 3.3+ . Sadly...not all the softwares (Unreal4 doesn't....).

If you're buying it as workstation, but the <=64 thread Xeons with higher clock. No only because of the Windows10 issues, but also because processor groups suck (or software developers are lazy to pick up on it ? Not to blame them, 99perc. of users have i7).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-07-04, 18:31:31
Reply #3

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Just to clarify, we have not had concrete confirmation that the 64-thread machine will NOT have these processor group issues. I think we only know for sure that <64 is ok and <64 is giving the problem. No confirmation for =64. But... we are going to have to take the plunge anyway and find out...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com