Author Topic: Physical RAM for rendering  (Read 2251 times)

2020-08-20, 20:20:34

fa2020

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
My computer system has 16GB of RAM. The label on the ram reads 8GB DDR3 2400MHz Dual Channel (2* 8GB).
My Bios setup has a setting called Extreme Physical memory (Disabe/Profile1). When I choose disable, The memory clock is shown as 1333Mhz but when I choose profile 1, it reads 2400MHz. I away keep it disable. What would happen If I choose it as profile 1 (2400MHz)? Can it damage my memory over long time?
I'm gonna upgrade my DDR3 ram to DDR3 32GB. Can I add another dual channel ram with the same frequency but other brand name?

2020-08-20, 21:55:28
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You can enable it, you should in fact :- ). Only situation where it should be disabled is when it affects stability, not all systems are compatible with all market available speeds.
The memory itself cannot be damaged in this way, the associated XMP profile was tested by manufacturer to work. (But not for all systems).

You can mix different brands as long as they will be run at same speed but it's usually ill-advised as it can leads to issues. It's risk, it can work flawlessly, not at all, or anything in-between. It depends on lot of factors.
In that case you might need to set everything manually because the XMP Profile can be different and be stable for one kit, but not for others (It doesn't just set the frequency and main timings, but also lots of voltages and subtimings, it can set up to 40 parameters).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!