Author Topic: Which software is better for rendering?  (Read 4267 times)

2017-06-24, 17:53:31

fa2020

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
I'm going to compare these two major modeling and rendering softwares; 3DS MAX vs Cinema 4D.
Aside from their specific modeling capabilities, which one can produce more realistic results?
I have tried Corona in 3ds max but never used it in C4D. Can Cinema 4D render the same quality as 3ds max?
My problem with max is its bump map precision. 3ds max cannot render detailed images while I use bump map over an object. For example When I use bump map as sidewall text of a tire, it's only visible in close up renders and when I take the camera away a bit it gets blurred while Keyshot which has its own render engine and environment has very good precision in detailed spots even in faraway objects.. I set blur amount to 0.01 in the input bitmap section in 3ds max but the result is blurred in far objects.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-24, 18:11:50 by fa2020 »

2017-06-24, 22:03:33
Reply #1

cgifarm

• Active Users
  • Your Brand New RenderFarm
    • View Profile
    • CGIFarm
Hi guys,
I'm going to compare these two major modeling and rendering softwares; 3DS MAX vs Cinema 4D.
Aside from their specific modeling capabilities, which one can produce more realistic results?
I have tried Corona in 3ds max but never used it in C4D. Can Cinema 4D render the same quality as 3ds max?
My problem with max is its bump map precision. 3ds max cannot render detailed images while I use bump map over an object. For example When I use bump map as sidewall text of a tire, it's only visible in close up renders and when I take the camera away a bit it gets blurred while Keyshot which has its own render engine and environment has very good precision in detailed spots even in faraway objects.. I set blur amount to 0.01 in the input bitmap section in 3ds max but the result is blurred in far objects.

Hi, I don't think there's a huge quality difference between working with max and c4d, it comes into the end to the renderer that you use, which on both cases will be Corona (I assume, since posting on the corona forum). The engine is the same even if it's in different modeling software, only the integration with the engine is different.

One thing that may differ, is the way you setup the shaders/materials on your scene and if you are looking for very detailed walls or something, I've seen some displacement tutorials from Corona inside 3ds max :
and

Displacement is cool but it might add quite some time on your renderings, depending how far you push it I suppose...

Using Bump map is a bit tricky as you mostly rely on the lights shining in the right way for your details to POP from that... checkout this Bump Map tutorial for Max, maybe it will be something you didn't test:

The reason it might look better when you go closer is that you have more resolution and more rays are concentrated to that area, when you go further away you have less resolution on that area and the rays are not that concentrated. Maybe others can come up with better explanation to help you out decide how to go about this matter, increasing render resolution and adding more passes might help clearing out that area.

I also find this article from corona on how to use the normal map, using the special CoronaNormal node between your bitmap and material :
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000501663-how-to-use-normal-maps-

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: 2017-06-24, 22:39:19 by cgifarm »
Working on a Renderfarm Platform - checkout our website cgifarm.com and our cost calculator : https://www.cgifarm.com/renderfarm-cost-calculator