Author Topic: Triplanar mapping troubles  (Read 2834 times)

2019-09-25, 22:51:17

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I'm trying to understand how the triplanar map projects textures onto an object. If we take a cube as an example, and we project a map in the x,y, and z directions, I would expect to see the same texture on the two opposite faces of the cube...as if the texture is being projected though the object from one side to the opposite. However, it doesn't appear that it's working this way.

If you take a look at the image below, I have a cube that is 1 foot in each dimension. Using a dummy node, I adjusted the texture so it aligns to the front and left faces. However, the texture on the rear and right faces is misaligned. I would expect this to be aligned just as the front and left faces are. Perhaps there is a setting or trick I am missing.

I'm also curious if anyone knows where the UV origin of the texture is placed on the dummy node. It would seem like the UV origin would be placed at the pivot point of the dummy node.

2019-09-27, 16:33:21
Reply #1

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I don't believe Triplanar is really meant for cube/flat objects...which would mean using it as a study would be null (doesn't work well on walls).
See this thread:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=20616.0

2019-09-30, 17:14:55
Reply #2

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
The way Triplanar mapping works is by projecting the texture onto the surface of the object. This way, each side of the cube actually has its own texture. You can confirm this by using a texture with text and you will see that the text will not be inverted on the other side of the object. What you were expecting is the behavior of planar mapping which will mirror the texture on the other side of the object since it's being projected from the side under the UVW planar map.

2020-11-21, 19:39:17
Reply #3

danduya

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But why triplanar node mirror the image? (with original cinema 4d axis orientation)

2020-11-27, 09:36:14
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
But why triplanar node mirror the image? (with original cinema 4d axis orientation)
I'd recommend starting a new thread in the I need help C4D section of the forums.
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!